Released without fanfare: Just Flight's Tenerife North GCXO

Released during the winter (PC only, unfortunately) but I was holding out to see if it went on sale. It didn’t, but I got a good discount with my Just Flight reward points. No mention of the release in these forums (Just Flight tend to be very modest!).

I have to say, we have a new contender for ‘best terminal interior’. Every part of it modelled, including small apron staff offices! Animated everything, from custom GSE, to flags, to passengers, to revolving doors, to air-con fans… and even the palm trees!

Unfortunately the overwhelming emphasis has been placed on the terminal and there are some lower-res texture than I’d like across the taxiways and runway (ground markings are good, however). There are also small gaps in the perimeter fencing and the surrounding modelling is a bit sparse along the western boundary. But the terminal and its immediate airside and landside are so impressive, it’s easy to overlook the minor flaws!

The terminal is an absolute masterpiece, in every way. If they can spruce us some of the surroundings (including some of the default satellite imagery), this will be one of the sim’s finest airports.

They are unambiguous about the demands this scenery places on your hardware and basically advise against purchase if you have a lower-spec machine. I’m on an 7800X3D CPU and 7900XTX GPU and it’s absolutely silky-smooth.

A few images:

7 Likes

I’d buy it without interiors and half the price :).

Who the hell needs interiors? You explore the inside of the terminal first time you load the airport and that’s it. You never do it again. iniBuilds came to their senses and started updating their over-modelled airports with an option to disable interiors. JF should do the same.

4 Likes

if the sim allows for it, why not? Sure, if it’s tanking your framerates but this scenery runs beautifully for me, even with FSLTL. Admittedly I do have a high-end system but I don’t expect to be handicapped after paying out for a machine capable of giving me these types of bells and whistles.

Besides, this airport has an enormous glass frontage overlooking the apron, so the clear visibility of much of the interior really adds to the immersion when viewed from the flightdeck.

At least they’re unambiguous in their description — they’re basically saying you shouldn’t buy it if you have any doubt about your system’s capabilities. That’s about as fair and reasonable as anyone should expect.

Just Flight are one of the most upfront, reliable developers, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I normally don’t much care about airports, but I must say this looks pretty inviting.
I would hate to take a chance and buy it only to find out my system (5800X3D, 3090 Ti 24GB) is not up to the task. This is another example of why we need devs to offer a trial period license. Let me check it out for free for a week, 10 days, whatever. If I’m happy I’ll buy the license key. If not, no harm, no foul. Forcing me to guess about it makes me shy away from spending money on it.

To be honest, I think they’re just covering their own backsides with the statement about performance. I think it’s a diplomatic way of saying “don’t buy this if you have a low-spec machine”.

It is super-smooth for me (even with FSLTL) and my spec is only marginally higher than yours, in realistic terms.

If you do buy it, just bear in mind the minor shortcomings. The low-res textures are mostly at the very edges of the runways but are fairly obvious. Looks like they’re part of the custom ortho they’ve used for the airport, and unfortunately it’s not the highest res. Luckily, the ground markings are fine.

There’s also the clumsy way in which the custom-modelled landside roads fit into their default surroundings; however it’s not really noticeable unless you get down low with the drone in the immediate vicinity.

As I said, I soon forgot all about the minor annoyances when I arrived at that terminal! Because it has a huge glass frontage, the interior is actually warranted here.

1 Like

Thanks for that!

No worries. It’s not a big airport and it certainly isn’t in the middle of a demanding PG area or anything (although the surrounding scenery is nice — the RWY30 approach is over the city of Santa Cruz and the terrain then quickly rises up to meet you!). It’s not particularly busy in real life either so FSLTL (or FST) shouldn’t tax it too much.

But of course nothing’s guaranteed!

If you’d like to see more images, just shout…

1 Like

Shout! :face_holding_back_tears:

You explore the inside of the terminal first time you load the airport and that’s it. You never do it again

Remember that this is your opinion, and not everyone thinks the same way. :slightly_smiling_face: I like the interiors, they allow me to take nice photos.

Sorry it took so long…

3 Likes

Thank you for the images. It looks great for only 13,29 euro (without tax). I even wished more people inside the terminal. There seems to be an older version of GCXO which is sold via fs.to and simmarket but I did not compare.

There are actually plenty of people in the terminal but only really in the airside lounges. The other version is by Wolkenblau. It looks quite nice but is older and doesn’t have the eye-candy of the JF version.

1 Like

Nice screenshots. I bought it day one because 1) Canaries are beautiful to fly in or out or do short hops in Binter ATR, and 2) Just Flight. And it’s an awesome addon indeed.

1 Like

“not particularly busy” maybe, but sufficiently busy to have had two Boeing 747s collide on the single runway in 1977.

Ah, but they were Gran Canaria diversions.

There will always be MSFS add-ons that are underrated and underappreciated.

2 Likes