As a casual simmer and coming from fsx where i flew in online community like vatsim on some occasions. I use a simple joystick where twisting the rod act as rudder.
In msfs i mostly (only) fly GA and VFR while i wait for the fixes that makes IFR flying a thing without frustration.
I have not yet joined vatsim but will do. Flying with real ATC is so fabulous.
I have some random stuff/tips to share:
- All over the world max speed below 10000 ft is 250kts. So check your flying with them fast planes.
- As an old gamer i have a very small dot from a marker in the absolute center of my screen (Ye hack i know) but it helps me a lot in the descent, aiming at the landing threshold.
- I use windy.com (free, browser, no login) to check weather AND plan my flights. It has some nifty tools for planning.
- Free VFRmap plugin to show my plane on a (OpenStreet) map, see where airports are AND to use the teleport functionality so i do not have to use DEVMODE.
- OCD like habit to always click one time on the mainscreen after touching any stuff on my secondary screens. This so i do not lose functionality because another window has focus.
My favorite trip and i almost do it daily is: Flying the Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan: VNKT --> VNLK (~1h) always different and mostly pretty cloudy so it is challenging. (just arrive from the south and you are all good - thank me later)
Also mostly fly in mountains and roleplay stuff like short deliveries here and there and the occasional sudden inflight call for a emergency pickup of patients that need a lift to a bigger city.
I love the VFR but i also look forward to the IFR stuff when the sim is fixed.