Remember: No more than 250kts below 10000 ft guys!

FYI, IRL it happens quite often that ATC asks you to fly (a lot) faster than 250kts below 10000ft, departing and arriving.

I guess because it is at their instruction, rather than your discretion, that makes this safe?

1 Like

It also works the other way, if you politely ask ATC :wink:

2 Likes

You should be 240 kts under 10000 feet and as a good general rule, 10 miles out from the airport be about 180 kts. And reduce your speed from there.

2 Likes

Yes i am aware of that, but as a rule of thumb or when in doubt then do not exceed 250kts below 10000ft unless instructed by ATC.

1 Like

I’d already be happy if some pilots wouldn’t take the tailwind runways all the time.

1 Like

If I can remember correctly from my real world training, the max 250kts limit below 10000ft is there because of being able to fly safe yet in case of the worst allowed VFR meteo conditions, so your response time before collision based on actual visibility will be enough to avoid. In better meteo conditions atc may allow flying faster.

1 Like

The whole hard limit 250kts max bellow FL100 is a US regulation made by the FAA and does not work the same way in europe. There are many more variations

That’s one OCD habit I need to work on !!!

In Europe, it is common for controllers to waive the 250 knot speed restriction below 10,000 feet. In the US, controllers cannot legally do so under FAA regulations. It is permitted for an aircraft to exceed 250 knots in climb if its weight requires a faster speed with zero flaps (typically a fully loaded 747 or similar aircraft on departure), but that is the only time the 250 knot restriction can be ignored.

2 Likes

Sauce? I’ve yet to see this.

Franks was always my favourite. :wink:

Try the new v2 Green one, it’s really nice.

2 Likes

Thanks! And yes I do like the green ones. It’s got radar screen vibes. I’ll install them once I find the runway through 8000 foot clouds.

2 Likes

OK, to be more accurate, according to EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) this rule (max 250kts below 10000ft] applies for VFR flights within airspaces of class C, D, E, F and G. For IFR flights in classes D, E, F and G.

There are a lot of exceptions to this rule, even in the US.

I have done several trips to Kathmandu, Lukla and Paro IRL. Every time was in a Russian plane flown by a Nepali pilot trained in India. That adds so many new things to worry about. A sim can’t reproduce the feeling as the plane rises/falls on the way. It does an awesome job on the view. Spring and fall are best for clear skies.

1 Like

Ohh forgot this:

• Flying VFR i use “touch and go” so the ATC leave me alone when landed. And i can take off again when i like. Of cause if anyone is around i take off immediately. I do full stop to log the landing in the logbook.

Yes, US is a big country, so it might be. Here in Czechia it’s exactly the same as EASA publishes. Not sure about other european countries, but as I flew through many of them (IRL), the rule was very similar, if not the same as well.

There are some europeran countries with some exceptions (like Autria, Italy, …) because of high mountains areas and so. There are always some exceptions because of good reasons. But in general there is a tendency to “harmonise” the rules…

It’s a great strategy to focus for now on the part of the game that is more developed, it makes “waiting” easier, but - consider your expectations on what are you exactly waiting for?
Asobo will correct eventually everything that is formally/internally understood to be a bug; but there are many things that will remain as they are and will require AAA-quality third-party addon (like PMDG we all love) to really fulfill the fully-detailed IFR a lot of people are used to. And that will take a long while.

I have been focusing on the Neo and I would argue the most grievous bugs from launch (and some from previous patches) have already been fixed.
About the sim quirks and limitations I have learned to expect/work around most if not all of them, I know because I am already participating in VATSIM events even with Virtual Airlines, mostly painless. The FlyByWire community add-on helped greatly.

Wow thanks for sharing Windy! - I am also a longtime simmer and I am amazed that by reading this forums always somebody posts something that I had never seen.