Removing TrackIR from the Controls Options

Had the same problem yesterday. Removing OpenTrack didn’t help. What worked was to disable all cameras. Click Start, search for camera, click Manage Cameras, disable any connected cameras. For me, it was the integrated camera on my laptop, which I’ve never used with OpenTrack.

I got the Revo uninstaller as suggested by Tobii and other comments and ran to fully remove some OpenTrack registry items. That finally got rid of TrackIR from MSFS.

Search for NaturalPoint in yoiur installed apps - that’s the driver underpinning TrackIR - and remove it. That may help

1 Like

New Tobii user here. Just received mine in the mail and ran straight into the Tobii not working with MSFS issue (albeit working perfectly fine in general), apparently because additionally to Tobii there was still TrackIR recognized in the control settings (as mentioned by other users, MSFS has issues with both being present). For me that TrackIR entry was a “corpse” off an earlier attempt to use “OpenTrack” (didn’t work properly so I uninstalled it right away again months back).

Tip to anyone having the same issue - there is no need for elaborate resets or reinstalls of MSFS or Windows! Neither do you have to fumble around in your registry.

All I had to do was to install the newest version of OpenTrack (GitHub - opentrack/opentrack: Head tracking software for MS Windows, Linux, and Apple OSX), then right away uninstalling it again (might help if you use Revo or CCleaner instead of the standard Windows app center uninstall). That seemed to clear out those leftovers from my earlier use of the software. After a reboot and restart of MSFS, the TrackIR option in the MSFS controls menu was gone and Tobii worked straight away.

Maybe this might help somebody with similar issues.

3 Likes

What make incredible an incredible solution is how easy it is, although working perfectly.

Can confirm that it worked for me, few minutes ago. A lot of time saved, thanks to you.
I hope it does the trick for others.

Thanks a lot for sharing that !
Cheers
K.

1 Like

I use the Grass Monkey Puck with Open Track. I don’t know if the TrackIR has always been in the Controls, but the Puck head tracking works very well. Never touched the TrackIr controls, never even opened to see any settings. Don’t believe I shall either, ‘Curiosity Killed the Cat’. The Puck doesn’t need anything but Open Track.

Incidentally, as a new tobii user, but one who also still has to keep OpenTrack around for other software that isn’t tobii compatible, I just wanted to point out the latest version of OpenTrack allows you to automatically remove all TrackIR registry elements when you stop OpenTrack with a checkbox in the “freetrack 2.0 Enhanced” configuration:

1 Like

hey man where can i find it??? i had open track

have you resolved that?

I’m using FaceTrackNoIR with a Tobii eye tracker for other sims, which introduces the TrackIR device in MSFS Controls options and disables the Tobii.

Deleting this entry in regedit.exe solves this issue for me:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-######-######-######-1000\SOFTWARE\NaturalPoint]
(The exact path will vary slightly – I had to F3 to repeat the search a few times until I found this entry).

At your own risk, right-click: delete \NaturalPoint , then launch MSFS (restart isn’t required for me) and you will no longer see a TrackIR device in Controls.

When I launch FaceTrackNoIR again for the other sims, it adds that registry entry back in.

You can also create a reg (reg as the file suffix) file like so (replace the numbers in the path to reflect yours, of course):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-######-######-######-1001\SOFTWARE\NaturalPoint]

Which makes it a lot easier to manage the whole registry-editing mess. All I need to do is remember to run the reg file when I’m done using FaceTrackNoIR and the other sims.

I suspect this is what OpenTrack is doing with the checkbox mentioned above.

Here’s my source (train sim conflict, same issue): facetracknoir / Discussion / Help: Issue with Train Simulator 2017

4 Likes

Great! Finally works for me.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi, your tip finally worked for me. Magic checkbox! Thanks a lot

Old post I know, but this was the last option I tried as none of the others worked. This worked for me, so thanks for posting it.

1 Like

Glad I found this topic. Thanks to everyone who figured out the various options. Simply un-installing OpenTrack did it for me.

I habe a Tobii tracker 5 and installed FacetrackNoir. Works well. But i had the assumption i would be able to use also the Tobii setup when not starting Facetracknoir. But that does not seem to work.

Weird stuff…

I have trackIR and it only shows in the controls options if it is active. If I pause it, it does not show in the menu.

Can’t imagine why you would be seeing it.

This worked for me, thank you!

1 Like