Render scale more than 100

Hi, what is the reason to use a render scale of more than 100.
If 100 is 4k, why to use more render scale?

Miguel

1 Like

Above 100 it’s like anti-aliasing. At 100 and my monitor resolution, I get snaking effects on distant horizontal objects like rivers, but at 130 it disappears as the lines get rendered with more blending. I’d much prefer to run at 130 or even higher but my GTX 1070 isn’t up to it.

2 Likes

What is the difference between using render sclae 40 and 90?
I saw a yourube video that sais that render 40 is 4k.
Is this correct?
See picture

I believe they were running at a render scale of 40 as part of a test setup to demonstrate improvements to FPS on the average consumer PC. I dont think 4k would run at 100 render scale with this hardware

I can tell you this, for the Xbox crowd that will play with a controller in one hand and a beer on the other, 40% render it is fine when all you do is look out the window. Try to read your instrument panels/Navigraph on your G3000 at that setting…

I don’t have a 4k display (am 1440 with multiple monitors) but render scaling at more than 100 does make instruments and text in the cockpit crisper and easier to read.
If your GPU isn’t really fully utilized it can be worth pushing it up a little to see if you get a little benefit without too much of a performance hit.

1 Like

Visually what
Is the different between 40 and 100?

Miguel

Let’s take an example of having a common 4K display. This means the monitor is displaying at 3840x2160 resolution.

At 100 render scale. This means, your GPU is processing the graphics at 3840x2160 pixels of frames. And display them with 1:1 pixel ratio into your display, which is also displaying at 3840x2160 pixels resolution.

At 40 render scale. This means your GPU is only processing 40% of the horizontal and vertical pixels. This means, each frame is only rendered at 1536x864. But since your display is still rendering at 3840x2160p that 1536x864 pixels get stretched to fill a 3840x2160p space without adding a single pixel to be rendered by the GPU.

To me, when I fly in 4K, I can tell a difference between render scale 100 and 90. Because the texts in my cockpit displays get slightly blurry. At render scale 40, I get a headache because everything is blurry due to the excessive stretching of each pixels.

At render scale 130 however, means your GPU is rendering at 4992x2808 pixels for each frame. But again, since your display is only outputting at 3840x2160, each frames get squished to fit the smaller display resolution, making you having more pixels being rendered in a smaller frame. There’s some algorithm in place to pick which pixels to display, since you only have 30% more pixels to render at the same space, and there’s only 1 pixel that can be rendered at each pixel.

3 Likes

Isn’t that what the instrument views are for, or zoom?

I have i9 10700k
Nvidia 2080ti
32 gb of ram
1 tb ssd mk2

I fly everything in ultra with render 100 and i get flying in madrid or london photometry an average od 32
I run on 4k with a samsung 4k momitor
If i set les render sclae dont see any diferences but frames grow

Miguel

2k at 150 RS works for me, although there is a fps penalty, just can’t go back to 100. I tried many different things including LOD 4.5 but for me 150 render scaling with 200 LOD works best, I average 30fps in most scenarios, about 25 in dense locations.

In my case more than 100 of render makes the fs20 comoeltely broken, very slos even moving the mouse

I don’t have to “zoom” to read my instruments at my setting and everything look super sharp inside and out of the aircraft.

2 Likes