Reno pack worth for free flying?

I love flying old birds. I love flying flying iron Spitfire or P38 for example.

How does the Reno planes compare to those in free flight?I know some systems aren’t working, but how’s the flight model?

Other question, I do a lot of flying together with friends and we like to make sure nobody is going to be seen with a generic plane, so that all of them have the same third party planes purchased. If I buy Reno DLC and they don’t, do they see my planes properly or will they see generic planes?

Thanks folks.

I’m having a blast in free flight with the Texans, P-51’s and Albatros’, especially in VR - terrific fun :slightly_smiling_face:

Not tried the Pitts yet.

I only purchased these for free flight. I did try one race but it’s not really my thing.

My understanding is that each person in a multiplayer flight will only see aircraft of the types they have. Not sure how it works out which plane to display if the actual one isn’t in their library.

Flying is nice, flight model feels good. The planes have some quirks and difficulties, but systems are very rudimentary.

1 Like

I am personally disappointed with the Reno planes. They clutter up your hangar because each livery is a separate aircraft. The toe brakes on the Mustang are reversed for some reason. If there was an easy way to delete the whole package I would. My 2c.

2 Likes

The Asobo planes are so well modelled visually. I think they look better than anything the third parties are doing, including detail, lighting, and textures in the cockpit. They’re not perfect of course, but they’re gorgeous.

However, I think third parties put in so much more attention to detail on how they fly and operate. I wish we could have both, where Asobo just did the visual and sound modeling. And then handed it over to a dedicated third party team that was passionate about making it realistic.

The flight models need work, particularly the ground handling on the Mustang is super quirky. The FI Spitfire definitely had its fair share of ground handling quirk to it too though, and that might be an underlying Flight Simulator issue involving surface friction, the effects of the relative wind during the transition from ground roll to flying, lack of left turning tendencies initially, etc…

The T-6 is actually remarkably easy to fly. I suspect it’s in fact too easy to fly in the sim. But it cruises nicely and is great for touring flights.

They’re probably basic after that. You can mistreat all of these planes pretty badly with no consequence. Run the engines full out, slam them down hard, and they’re fine. There are several bugs in them. For example Miss America’s fuel selector is all wrong, and I think it’s backwards on the other Mustangs as well. One of the T-6’s has a gap in the cockpit model that you can see if you move your head around with TrackIR (it’s not visible in the default view). Others have pointed out numerous other little issues, but most people can still fly just fine with them. These are all things a third party would be scrambling to patch, however. I worry that these planes will be abandoned as Asobo has to focus on other areas of the simulator.

And then there are some missed opportunities. The biggest one is that the canopies don’t open. A third party would never neglect this. But they’re all welded shut on the Reno Racers. It’s such a shame because you taxi and even fly them with the canopies open IRL and the engine sounds come to life on startup and runup so much more when you do. It really adds to the experience to work the canopy in the FI Spit and Milviz Corsair.

They’ve definitely used real sound recordings, and the quality is there in places, but I’m still not convinced on the audio either. The T-6 has such a distinct sound as it flies by, a really piercing whine, and it’s so much weaker in the sim than even YouTube videos of them, and sounds almost too quiet in the cockpit. The Milviz Corsair shines here again in comparison I think.

Still, the docile nature of the simulator T-6 and it’s beautiful aesthetics make it great for casual sight seeing flights. It’s one of my favorite aircraft in real life, and 've had a ton of fun with it lately in the sim:

Overall, mixed feelings on the $60 40 planes buy. They’re all gorgeous and fun to try out. The canopies should open, they should get continued love from the devs and the community but probably won’t, they have their own fair share of issues, and I’m probably only going to fly a couple of planes regularly out of the entire pack. I’d probably just buy a single T-6 and P-51 if I did it again, but I still don’t know which ones I’d get.

There’s an unflyable version of some of these planes that’s included with the base sim, so the sim might draw that for multiplayer. I don’t know, haven’t tested it as I almost always have MP off.

1 Like

I’m thinking I’ll have to get Man o war since I just recently saw the real plane at the Palm Springs Air Museum in California.

I didn’t know it was one of the included P51 aircraft at the time.

Man O’ War is one of the best in the Reno Pack for general flying - I mean the plane has a full set of lights (internal/external) and NAV Radios, however, there are no GPS

And you can ask your passenger to operate your flaps:))) (no passenger view by default)

The “Standard” one is good as well, just her landing light is looking to the right.

A “Standard” P- 51D from Asobo

For all the P- 51 - they have no stop assembly (a kind of detent) to travel through to the Military Emergency power, the throttle goes there without stop. And for the Mixture lever, there are no Emergency position and even key or button bindings, we can operate it only via the mouse. This is the only “issue” concerning important for flying things.

The Autopilot on “Lady B” is not working currently!

As for fuel tank switches - on some of them it works as it has to work, on some of them the configuration has been changed, I think, according to the IRL Reno prototype.

The back seats are not reachable via view preset.

Lights are the main issue for most of the planes from this Pack. On one of them Light and Electric switches disappear if they are ON.

And one of the planes has a bug with engine gauges - look at them

Goldfinger has no visible NAV lights, but has a switch for them

its total garbage to fly its nearly unusable, handles like a pig, visually its great and its the closest to the real thing as far as interior goes but flight wise i dont think its even close.
the flying iron Spit, P38 , P40and milviz corsair are 100 times better
not worth the money i think, which sux as the T6 is nice we had them in the RNZAF for years there fun

Difficult to take off and even more difficult to land.
But once she flies, it’s amazing.

P.S.
the T-6 and the L-39 are easy peasy. But also tons of fun.

1 Like

found out why its behaving badly the simupdate changed the flight model back to legacy, i put it back to modern where it should be and its flying properly now if your having problems with the warbirds check that setting in flight model in options

1 Like

Read your post. Could not get my Mustangs to behave. Su7 put flight model in legacy, reset back to modern. Now they behave more or less. Engine keeps wanting to shut down while landing. Thanks!

I’ve never flown any warbird in real life. But i can’t imagine that it is that easy like in this reno pack. Especially the real T-6 is very challenging regarding warbird pilots.

In the absence of proper FFB, this is not easy to reproduce real-life flying in MSFS. And even in those of sims where we can use FFB also require some additional attention from their developers and hardware makers, and when I say FFB I mean, for example, FFB with forces on the stick (and pedals) up to 40 KG (on T-6, when we watch a real-life video we can see pilots using both hands). I’m not talking here about how G forces affect pilots and so on. Reno Pack planes are not easy to master for me - just try to fly L-39C, for example, straight and horizontally at the same altitude without +/- 50 ft deviations up-down during 1 hour (no autopilot, please:)) ). Or try to take-off/land the P-51 without dancing through all over the runway:)

Of course, some interesting things are missing, like the side-slip behavior of P-51 - in the sim, it looks, you can side-slip forever (but I still have to check this one more time for myself) :slight_smile: Stick forces (P-51D) also do not reverse in the sim as acceleration exceeds 4G like it was on some of those planes - with the fuselage tank aft the cockpit, and so on.

However, the P-51 in this game (and other Reno Pack aircraft) offers a good (and cheap) experience of flying powerful, fast aircraft which is not easy to master and finally decide do you like this kind of plane in your stable or not and purchase later any other replica of those planes from other developers, if they provide a better experience.

As for complexity… military, combat planes must be as easy to fly as this is only possible - P-51 has a carburetor with automatic control of the fuel-air mixture, for example. The P-51 in real life is a very well-handling aircraft, very light on all of the controls, stable when you need this (during the landing phase, for example).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.