Repair install? (My installation suddenly went all pear-shaped last night)

Greetings!

Sometime between yesterday and today, something happened to cause my installation to go all pear-shaped and, (among other things), my controller settings went south.

• I was previously able to edit the “default” profile to make it more generically useful.  I also remember a “reset to defaults” button that seems to have disappeared.
  • On the opening screen where it talks about the Antarctica and Oceania update, the Elevation Updates and Feature city have a “!” instead of a number.
  • Removing everything from the Community Folder, (to the recycle bin), did very little to improve things.

AFAIK, nothing was updated.  The last thing I did was install the “Little Nellie” Gyrocopter, (which I removed from the Community Folder along with everything else.).  The last modification I made was to plug in a standard gaming controller, first set as “direct” input and then reset as “X” input.

Yesterday evening, things were working wonderfully even after all these installations.  This morning my installation is cursed!

I would really like to be able to perform a “repair install”.  Absent that, are there any ideas aside from a total slash-and-burn reinstall from scratch?  (which will take days and days and days to replace everything. including my carefully crafted controller settings.)

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

Viz.:

2 Likes

If you have automatic Windows updates, I would check those.

1 Like

So long as you safeguard the packages reinstalling MSFS is a 3 GB download (less than 10 minutes on a 50Mbps connection)

1 Like

How do you suggest doing this?

I never allow automagic updates and there were no available updates when this happened.

1 Like

a) Move them to a new folder other than within the default install (preferably to their own drive)
b) On re-install pay attention to the prompt at the bottom asking for their location, click on it and direct it to the new folder.
Your controller settings are stored on the MS servers and should be safe but if somehow they don’t work at first then re-input just one setting and apply and save, it will find the rest.

2 Likes

And then all the world downloads. . .

How do you protect custom controller settings?  I haven’t been able to find them within the sim’s own folders.

Do you do an uninstall then a reinstall?

They are stored in the cloud and as long as you are reinstalling to the same account should not be affected … as mentioned in my last post if they are not immediately working just check you have internet and then re-input a single axis or setting and the sim will magically find the rest.

1 Like

The sim does save them in a folder, as well as in the cloud save previously mentioned by DensestSnail693.
They are in the “wgs” folder located in the “SystemAppData” folder of the sim.
Sometimes the cloud does loose the save, so it wouldn’t hurt to save that folder.

The repair function for the sim is located in Windows “Apps and Features”,
Look for the simulator in that menu and select “Advanced Options”.

3 Likes

As a part of preparing to do the repair install, I copied my Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder, my Community folder and the C:\XboxGames folder to a backup drive on my system.

I don’t remember where I heard it, but the main file executables are found in C:\XboxGames, along with the digital rights files.  I made copies of them, but I don’t know how useful they are for restoring after a backup.  They probably aren’t.

The MSFS executable, (flightsimulator.exe), is located within the C:\XboxGames\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Content folder, but it is stored in a strange way where it is not touchable, even if I elevate my privilege level to nt authority\SYSTEM, (Window’s root account).  It cannot be copied, nor can its permissions and owner be changed.  I WAS able to copy it to a backup location by booting into Linux and copying it from within a Linux session, but the resultant backup file is now owned by Everyone and I have no idea if it can be usefully restored.

1 Like

I doubt that backups for the actual game files are needed or would neccesarily work with the new install. As mentioned earlier Asobo now have this down to 3 GB plus maybe a couple of updates in content manager so that’s pretty quick and so long as your packages don’t sit within that 8wekyb3d8bbwe folder they will be safe. However you have to let the new install know where they are or it will want to download the whole caboodle.

Which is located in “Settings”, and when I clicked “repair” it blinked twice and then added a check-mark.  I don’t know if a REAL repair would go that fast.

Once a copy or two finishes, I’ll see what happens.

1 Like

Varifying is probably just a checksum, if it tallies there should be no need to reinstall. However I went the whole hog uninstalling MSFS and then rooting out any remnants of it (except tha packages). Really this was only for my peace of mind.

1 Like

In the same place, you will find “Reset”.
That will basically uninstall and reinstall the sim.
I usually right click on the Windows start button to easily access Apps & Features

1 Like

I couldn’t find the exact update mentioned for the Win-11 people, so I decided to just back-track and do a System Restore to about a week ago. . . . and then I discovered that, somehow or other, without my permission or input, SOMETHING had completely disabled System Restore on my entire system!  NO restore points at all.

I can’t prove it, but I have noticed that many of the supposedly important and/or critical updates completely reset a user’s carefully crafted settings - like power management - to “default” values that may bear no resemblance to what the user actually wants.

I KNOW I had System Restore set.

I ALWAYS set up System Restore - it’s like my AV solution that I ALWAYS install on EVERYTHING.

Now I want to back out something weird and I can’t do it. . .  Grrrr!!!

2 Likes

Did that, have the same issues, I have decided to do a nuke-and-reinstall.  (and clean up the Registry while I’m at it, along with nuking the C:\XboxGames folder. . .)

We will see what that does.

Ref the following screenshot from the original posting:

My friend @cyclicalobsessv mentioned that the “exclamation marks” instead of numbers appears on his installation too.

Question:

• Is this normal?  (i.e. Do you folks see this too when starting MSFS?)
  • If it is NOT normal, what do these exclamation marks mean?
  • How do I resolve this issue?

Thanks!

P.S.
Note that this is a plain vanilla MS-Store install on a PC-based system.

1 Like

Yep

MSFS AAU_02 - 1.33.6.0

No need :wink:

1 Like

[Insert a long string of black square blocks indicating extreme frustration!!!]

. . . and I just finished nuking my installation back to the stone-age just to resolve this - grrrr!!

1 Like