Repeated CTD's 1.18.14.0 & 1.18.15.0

I’m open to suggestions but as I said, I’ve installed on default location on the C: drive and never swapped anything and my HDDs are still the same as when I first installed the sim. I double-checked just in case and: InstalledPackagesPath “C:\Users{User}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages”, which is correct.

When the sim crashes after displaying the main menu for a few seconds, the video driver crashes (Nvidia RTX2080 Super). I believe something in FS2020 is causing the driver to crash, as I reported in my earlier post. I specified the reason why I believed so, but I don’t remember it at the moment, as it has been a while (a few days after update 5 was released).

EDIT: Yes, I’ve tried Nvidia Developer Mode

If by HDDs you mean as opposed to SSDs then surely it’s about time to retire them?? However if they are then at least make sure they are not allowed to spin down to save energy

No I was just lazy. C: drive is an SSD. Here is my previous post:

Ah then it’s probably a hardware conflict, possibly a bios setting or a mainboard driver needs updating (chipset, audio, lan etc.)

As I said, I can play many other games just fine. FS2020 is the only one that crashes the video driver. It wasn’t crashing the driver until update 5 was released. I can play XPlane 11 in VR just fine (thankfully I have at least that), Elite Dangerous in VR, No Man Sky non-VR, Cyberpunk 2077, and more. All games are at maximum settings or close to that. No other game or app crashes other than FS2020.
All drivers from the manufacturer have been updated to latest version, included chipset (downloaded directly from manufacturer website).

This sim is very finicky about almost everything. I assume there’s no overclocks to the gpu (includung to vram)? and that your PSU isn’t borderline? (unplug other stuff to test)

Correct, no overclocking either GPU or CPU. I also tried Developer Mode, which under-clocks (or sets more conservative settings) the video card but the same thing happens. PSU is Corsair RM 750x Gold Plus. I wish there were a verbose mode while FS2020 loads to see what it’s doing when it crashes.

Maybe one day :neutral_face:

Just one more thing … what does dxdiag say, are there any missing dx levels?

All tabs of DX Diag say No Problems Found on each. Also:

Feature Levels: 12_1,12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1

Is that what you meant?

looks ok but I’ll check mine

yeah they’re the same

1 Like

Does it only CTD in VR?

It crashes even if I completely disconnect the Headset and stop all Oculus services. Btw Is it possible to delete (or backup and move) UserCFG.opt? Will it recreate it upon restart?

It’s possible but it will want to replace all the contents of your C&O files.

Just ctrl alt delete and replace with your backups

My community folder is empty. Regarding the official folder: will it re-download everything from the servers and replace what’s currently in there? If that’s the case, it’s fine by me, everything is standard. What I hope is that it will also replace any custom or previous configuration settings.

So long as it was only UserCfg.opt then fine, any other changes then to be safe you should uninstall and then scour for remnants with ccleaner or suchlike

the Official you can also delete and next start it will replace all essential MS/Asobo and you can install the WU’s from content manager (or from a backup)

Yes, I’m moving the contents of the Official folder so it will be empty and I renamed UserCFG.opt. This might take a while. I might have already done this once but it might be worth a second try after the new update.

Good luck and goodnight … I’m in Europe :wink:

1 Like

Guys, so how? does the new WU6 resolve this CTD?

Unfortunately still CTD while in Main Menu