Repeated CTD's 1.18.14.0 & 1.18.15.0

I assume you had too small a cache before as normally it’s best to put Windows in charge because it can expand as neccesary. However if you are going to stick with a fixed one then change the initial size to at least the recommended as this should keep Windows happy until it actually wants more.

2 Likes

Indeed too small!!! but before I didn’t have any problems with CTD’s, perhaps it changed itself when I connected something ??? I don’t know much (or anything) about this matter (first time I looked at this was yesterday…), now is running well, but yes thank you, I’m going to change it to the other option below “system manage size” at the end of the day.

Guys - I keep getting low FPS and stuttering after SU6. And worst is that it crashed a couple of times when I’m about to touchdown on the runway during landing, ■■■ is going on?

I’ve been setting my cache files since Windows98, I do not want file system allocation going on while I’m gaming. I also want to dictate which drive it is to begin with. I had an older smaller SATA SSD so I made that my cache and that’s all it does. I also have 64gb of RAM so the odds of it being actually used should be quite low.

I will say since Win98 I have changed the recipe, back then it used to be 3 times your RAM, today 32gb seems plenty.

a note: in this case is your pagefile setting is waste of free disc space :)… 1024 / 4096 is sufficent…

@sgorlx21
“system managed” should works fine for users with 32GIG RAM… but never disable pagefile.

All right, I will change the settings and make pagefile available (I don’t even know what that is…) but I think it was already disabled when I opened that menu…I took a print screen of everything but it’s on the pc, I will take a look later. Thank you very much :slightly_smiling_face:

in easy words: pagefile , also called windows virtual memory, extend your available amount of memory if not enough physical RAM exists ( not exactly, but just in easy words ). Also in case you have 128GIG RAM, this pagefile should never completly disabled ( its the fallback and some hundred MB are needed allways. For dump creation the pagefile is also important ).

1 Like

I’m dismayed that so many people are spending hours and hours chasing every possible solution to the CTD issue. Guys, this worked fine prior to Update V. Did they rewrite the entire Sim for this? Of course not. I think in their zeal to make the code compatible with Xbox, they totally broke the PC functionality. Who tested this prior to release? Who SIGNED OFF on the decision to deploy? Update VI brought no change. They destroyed the AI traffic piece so their solution is don’t use AI traffic. Brilliant! I shouldn’t have to reformat drives, change memory, video cards, power supplies or anything else anyone has tried to figure a way around this problem WHEN IT WORKED JUST FINE BEFORE!!! You guys broke it, you guys fix it. You know what you changed. Start there. Not our responsibility to work around your created problem. After all, we’ve paid for a FULLY FUNCTIONAL product…The sooner this gets fixed the better as you won’t lose your customer’s goodwill. I’m sure you want to make your investment money back so get this back to a desirable product. You have an incredible fan base. Don’t lose it…

4 Likes

CTD issues have hounded us since release. They didn’t spontaneously appear in SU5. Over time various causes have been identified, and fortunately in my case I have all but eliminated them.

1 Like

I had based my comments on my personal experience and reading postings in the forums in the last 6 weeks. It was narrow minded of me to assume that my experience is like everyone elses. I do understand that CTDs are manifesting themselves in different ways to different people. I personally never had a CTD problem until the moment I installed Update V. That’s why I focused on what was changed for that update as I’ve been relegated to the sidelines since that day. My PC is not a uber gaming machine, more like a top 30% one (little better than midpack) and hate not being able to enjoy this product.

2 Likes

just another not helpfull post , on a topic which is solved , like these one After Update VI, CTDs crashes better than ever with Safe or Normal mode - #5 by thebrotherg in which you possible gave you self the answer: usage of FSX airplanes.
Your posts may be more interessting in case you do testcases without all your installed mods and report back which one cause issues. Or may be you share your CTD log message and you get some usefull hints from the community :wink:

We all wish we can take the high ground and look down on the struggle of others as you do. My post may not have been helpful to Your Highness but it serves to show that there is still a significant portion of the community that is still having problems. As to whether my choice to use FSX AI planes has caused my problems, they didn’t until the MOMENT Update V was installed. The AI sites that provide texture and models to download for MSFS 2020 are all using FSX models. FS9 models do not work. You say this has been solved, yet I see other people over the last few days still complaining. If this has been fixed, point to me how do I get my AI working again (Don’t use AI traffic is an insulting answer). Make departing AI traffic actually depart. All this was working before. Seems to me that there is no real fix; you need to try x, if it doesn’t work, try y, it that doesn’t work try z. That’s called trial and error or throwing s*** at the wall to see what sticks. Its not my job to beta test…

2 Likes

Any fixes for 3rd party software have to come from their developers. Asobo/MS are not able to bugfix them and they certainly are not dutybound to support them if they weren’t purchased in the Marketplace no matter whether they worked before SU5 or not … With SU5 MS made major pro-performance changes to the sim’s engine and they won’t be changing back.

Thank you for an intelligent response that actually puts the situation in a different perspective. Bottom line, MSFS 2020 won’t support third party AI models going forward. Very disappointed as I expected to this to be a giant leap forward from an FSX that had lots of third party support and provided a great experience for what it was. Guess we need to wait for Asobo/MS to decide if they will ever provide that support in the future…and probably how much we will have to pay to get it. Again, thank you for making it clear for me to understand what truly happened…

You don’t seem to understand, they do actually provide backwards compatibility to the FSX platform but not to individual mods which will simply have to make changes to meet the new and improved data handling in memory processes. For most 3rd party devs it is likely to be a simple fix but it still has to be done by them.

You wouldn’t buy a new car just because you happen to have a set of tyres that would fit it.

1 Like

and this answer tell us again, that you have your fixed opinion and you not searching for usefull hint from the community. You described nowhere your issue, the only thing you do is to report that you have an issue and that you already know what the reason is. Some of the mods cause issues and uninstalling the mods is a well known strategy to find issues. The community mentioned this a lot of time and the official FAQ do same.

I admit that I oversimplified my reply but I do understand what you tried to illustrate. I likely have an unrealistic expectation as far as backwards compatibility to the FSX platform is concerned. While I didn’t expect any FSX scenery or flyable planes to work under the MSFS 2020 platform, I assumed that AI models would work given their simpler nature and not encumbered with complex panel/gauges or sound files; just a model and texture files. I think that many of the creators of FSX AI models have already moved away from the hobby so I don’t know how could their creations be updated, simple or not. I have not yet seen any MSFS 2020 native AI models and I don’t know if anyone is working on any. Would be great if they did. Thank you for taking the time to educate me…

Latest update now installed, CTD after 15 minutes of flight!

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 17/09/2021 17:33:11
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-Q2EK6FG
Description:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000009dc1ed
Faulting process id: 0x5204
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7abd74ed4cee5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 2c354f4d-c8ea-41b5-893a-ddca2a3a1c84
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
DESKTOP-Q2EK6FG

FlightSimulator.exe
FlightSimulator.exe
c0000005
00000000009dc1ed
01d7abd74ed4cee5
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
2c354f4d-c8ea-41b5-893a-ddca2a3a1c84
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
App

A far more polite and well mannered contributor properly explained things to me. Shaming people is not a good way to make yourself feel superior to others.

we need only a little bit informations about your issue and then we can help. Just posting in different topics that you have a ctd and that you not want to try to uninstall your mods, is nothing where we can do then something or start a usefull discussion. We are the community and we are here , within the yellow category, for helping to find reasons for issues like ctd, may be we find real fixes or just only workaround so that you can use your game. This we can not do without any kind of informations. We all know that a CTD is nothing about where users are happy, but how we should help with a blocking stance ?

As example:

• you can do a simple test case with the mods: just rename the community folder or simple backup it and then empty this folder. Then start MSFS … if it’s works, we know it must have something to do with one of your mods. If not, we can discuss about different possible reasons. This takes only 5 minutes…
  • also may be you can open the windows event viewer and post the error message you find. With a little bit luck we can find out more with these message. But also in case not, other users can compare it.
  • also mentioned some basic infos about your system ( cpu, gpu, ram, free disc space, some special tools running ( e.g. currently is capture one on the top list ) , etc. )

If you not want to spend time to find a solution/workaround and just only want to report your issue, then please do it only in one topic ( but without a exact description, the report is also not helpfull). Also for more general discussions about qualitiy is more the blue categories. May be I wrote bit harsch (translate?), but it’s just because we wrote it too often that we need infos :wink:

1 Like