Repeated CTD's 1.18.14.0 & 1.18.15.0

Take a look at high end recommended specs and compare to your own and while you are at it compare Asobo’s recommended policy on overclocks with those of Origin.

And I can happily confirm that my within spec self-build runs MSFS almost flawlessly.

Curious, what are your PC specs?

Are your ms2020 performance settings set to max?

I do know the old FSX code did not run without CTDs when PC was OC.

In this forum, have you seen proof that CTDs are conclusively an issue with over clocking ? I’m trying to determine this. If I can find identical machines, OClocked, where one machine runs fine and the other does not, that would be helpful. It is rare that anyone posts their PC specs, so I cannot conclusively connect OC to CTDs. In all of this space, I have only seen two identical PCs, OC, like mine that both have CTDs? So, are there other machines with my posted specs that are over clocked that have no issues?

Would love to get comments here that identify if the machine is OC and experiencing CTD.

Thanks for suggestions

MSI B550M pro wifi, 3800x, rtx3060 12GB (OC), ProEvo980 500GB, PC-3200 CL14 @ 3600Mhz 16GB, 850w PSU, 50Mbps net. My gaming tower was a neighbour’s discard.

If it wasn’t for stupid gpu prices it’s a $1000 rig and so solid I can hardly believe what I’ve built.

1 Like

I’ll drop my clock to factory setting and test! I will report back.

It’s such a tough nut that it’s always best to start at stock when overclocking for this sim and If you partake on long flights you will need long benches. For my gpu a 10hr full screen, full resolution burn-in test on Kombuster proved useful. As I’m on stock cooling I won’t even try with the cpu.

After the SU, I wasn’t able to fly more than 20mins without CTD. After enabling DEP as stated above, I managed to complete a 4hrs+ flight - thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back! Yes, I’ve finally been able to enjoy the sim too, after enabling DEP. It probably won’t work for everyone. I’ve observed different reasons for CTDs that spit out the same exception code of 0xc0000005. I think this “fix” only “cures” the CTD that reports the line: “Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\shcore.dll” (line 8) in the eventvwr.

For example, I’ve seen at least one other CTD that seems to be caused by an Nvidia Driver Crash, which reports “Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered”.

Another error had FlightSimulator.exe as “Faulting module path” and still an Exception code of 0xc0000005.

Point being that not all “Exception code 0xc0000005” errors are equal (but they are all still reported with 0xc0000005) and perhaps that’s why no one fix would work for everyone.

0xc0000005 means little more than the sim crashed and my incredible mind suspects that most who have it already know that.

Latest update on ability to complete long flights, before encountering CTD, after enabling DEP. My contribution to hopefully help Devs in completely rooting these CTDs out one day.

I’ve had CTD’s since SU5 and tried endlessly to fix it.
I finally found a fix that seems to work. Since applying these settings, I have not crashed once (as opposed to every single flight before)

Disable full screen optimizations and run as admin for MSFS2020
Set max frames in NCP for MSFS2020 to 30
Turn on VSYNC in-game settings and set frame limit to 60 (it’ll be capped to 30 anyway)

I know some of these settings conflict with each other and make no sense but something I done above fixed my CTD’s

Try it out and report back.

1 Like

what you mean ?

You follow the usually recommendation ( in case of issues ) and limit your fps to 30 ( which is not bad for a sim like msfs ) and so your hardware can handle it because it must not run the whole time in full load. This also points to an issue with your hardware ( may be GPU overhead ).

Your VSync settings are then also fine… 60 doesnt mean 60fps. This 60,30,… are missleading from day one. Its like “full, 1step, 2step…”.

I’m sorry, I can barely understand what you’re trying to say

in which point you mean that your settings makes no sense ? :slight_smile:

I mentioned that “limit the max fps” makes sense and because this works fine, it points to a system-issue.

Roll your Nvidia Driver back to 496.76. This should fix your problem…

Can someone PLEASE set out for me the EXACT steps for a clean reinstall of Nvidia graphics drivers. I am not a computer person. I am not aware of the ‘reset’ option mentioned by TheRealoOli4D. I have had recurring CTD issues caused I think by the driver but have been unable to isolate or permanently fix the problem. I have today uninstalled and reinstalled the last 8 versions of the driver without effect, but on reading this thread I suspect there might be more to creating the proper clean instal than I have been doing. Help please
Thanks

It is as simple as checking the clean install checkbox during install. However, if you had crashes with the last 8 drivers then your issue is probably not even driver related, unless you have hardware accelerated GPU scheduling enabled. If you do, disable that.

1 Like

Thanks, thats what I have been doing. I have actually been CTD free for a few months then a couple of weeks ago I was silly enough to download Windows 11. Since then I only get as far as the home screen or selecting a flight before there is a brief buzz, screen freezes then CTD. I have been having long and involved discussions with the Zendesk but dont seem to be finding any fixes. I have a ‘vanilla’ install on an almost new, well over spec system. Very annoying.

1 Like

Download the AppCrashView application below. Open it and then press Ctrl+A to select all items, Ctrl+S to save them to a text file. Upload the text file somewhere and I’ll look at it.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

1 Like

Thank you so much. I have just downloaded the latest sim update with no effect. Nothing in my Community folder, vanilla install etc etc. May well be significant that I downloaded Windows 11 on or about 18 Feb and surprise, surprise, thats when the problems started
Where should I upload the text file to?

Try pastebin.com or share it publicly on any cloud storage site of your preference.