Replacing my 2nd PC with a laptop

I’m currently a college student that travels a lot. I own two gaming PCs however I rarely use the other one.

I’m not looking to purchase a laptop to run on max settings but at least medium to high. I would appreciate any recommendations!

(I’m fully aware laptops are not as powerful as their desktop counterparts and tend to have worse cooling!)

1 Like

I have a 2018 Razer Blade 15" Advanced model. Aside from the hot case and SCREAMING fan noise, it has done a decent job running the sim.

The newer Blade has significantly better hardware than my 2018. I’m certain the newer ones are able to run the sim so much better than mine.

They are not inexpensive, however, but they are really well made.

1 Like

I have an Asus F15 gaming laptop that runs MSFS pretty well. The problem with a laptop is that the small screen size means that glass cockpits are more difficult to see. For me (in my 70s) I find glass cockpits unusable, so I’m restricted to steam gauges (i.e. analog). Which for me is no problem as I like GA planes & I fly the Cessna C301R and the JF Piper Arrow, both with steam gauges.

2 Likes

Does your laptop have an HDMI connector?

I use mine connected to a 27" display when I’m not needing it to be mobile. Perhaps that would be a way to improve the optics for you.

I run on an MSI GE75 Raider, RTX 2070 and it is amazing for being 2 yrs old. Not running on ultra settings but a mix of ultra, high, and a 3 lows that don’t really make a difference visually.

1 Like

Depending on wifi availability how about Xbox cloud on a tablet?

Alienware is always a good bet. Lots of choice, etc.

Well I need something to type my papers on so I’m definitely going the laptop route.

ASUS ROG laptop:
All the videos on my channel are with that laptop, I have a ram upgrade coming up soon. I’ll make a comparison video.

ROG Strix G531GV_G531GV

Full laptop specs in the description,
Hope this helps. I’m also travelling a lot so laptop is my only option.

1 Like

This is what i have been flying just after release of msfs.
Does still a descent job with everything on high, and a couple on ultra. Just a bit of fan noice, but i always fly with headphones on, so no problems with that.
I can even stream my flights without any issues.
Acer predator laptop
Intel(R) Core™ i7-10750H CPU
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 Super with max Q

Another problem with running on a laptop is that laptop GPUs often have a limited amount of memory - my RTX3060 has ‘only’ 6GB. So if you fly near an area that makes demands on your GPU - like Milford Sound NZ - you may get some stuttering. Depends on the plane too, as that will be making demands on the GPU. I’ve also been very disappointed with photogrammetry but that’s at least partly because my GPU isn’t up to it. But overall running on a laptop works for me.

I agree with you on the limited Vram. I managed to get a little more by over clocking the Vram, don’t expect big difference but for me it helps.
If you are new to overclocking don’t worry, it’s safe to do.

If you can use a cooler this is giving me more stable temperatures.
:innocent::sweat_smile::grin:

3 Likes

I have to use one as well because it gets HOT!

1 Like

And that’s killing FPS……