Reverb G2 goes black

Hi,
in every flight I do, the Reverb G2 display/lens will suddenly go black and after a couple of seconds, they recover. I’ve searched for a possible solution and found that it could be related to the sound. Lower it as for the suggestions but did not help. Is anyone reading this with that same problem? Any solution?
Thank you!

This happens to me on occasion. It hapens almost every time a flight is loading or exiting to the main menu. It like when the processor get taxed really hard and the display goes black…

HP have just replaced my headset and cable regarding this, new headset did the same, I’ve also just upgraded to a 4090 from 3080ti so it’s not the cards either

This used to happen occasionally when I was using a 10850K and 3080 but seems to have gone completely when I upgraded to a 5800X3D and 4080. Unfortunately, I don’t know which specific component upgrade fixed it.

I think it’s the Nvidia driver crashing and recovering. Happens to me occasionally.

Hope it’s the Nvidia driver and not an issue with Windows Mixed Reality, since I doubt we’re going to see many fixes there after this month’s layoff carnage in VR/MR/XR at MS.

There were some reports about year ago that this may be caused by a faulty cable. HP offered then free replacement to never version of the cable (with the power box equiped with the on/off button). You may consider contacting HP support.
Check if the plug in the headset sits tight.

A friend with a G2 is also having this problem, and it’s not specific to MSFS. It’s driving him nuts trying to isolate the problem (which he hasn’t), though it started happening a few weeks after replacing his 2080S with a 4080. He thinks that having the G2 powered on before starting the MRP app minimizes the occurrence; he owns a G2 revised and a 9900k. Not problems (yet) with my G2 revised.

Lower the volume. If you do a search you’ll find info on this bug, I know it sounds weird.

LouP

I do have the exact same problem since only a couple of days. What I did was to upgrade to Windows 11, which was still fine AFAIR. However, after installing the most recent update, the headset goes black for a couple seconds every once in a while.

I am also experiencing the same exact issue. For me I do not think it can be down to the volume issue as I do not use the Headset Speakers on!!!. I mostly get the headset going black for a second or so followed by the sound popping or muting completely. This seems for me to happen when I get close to destination airport, so may be down to loading of scenery etc etc!!! Still puzzled. Not sure if I should purchase a Version 2 of the connecting lead… This is really annoying!!

About a year ago there was firmware upgrade on HP pages, solving the sound related issues of G2.

Im sure I installed that way back. But I will check tonight and report back.

I’ve done almost everything. A new HP cable, firmware, and Windows 11 upgrade put the volume down, but nothing has solved the issue.
Usually, it happens when I´m getting close to the destination airport, but today for the first time it also happened during take-off.

1 Like

And there is plenty of light in the room, right? I’ve had this happen with my G2 when I began simming before sunset (without lights on in the room) and later when the natural light from the window faded… momentary blackout as per your issue.

The G2 fades to grey when it’s loosing tracking by default. This behavior can be disabled in the WMR settings. However, this is a smooth transition to a grey tone. With the issue in discussion, the sim freezes entirely and the G2 screen just goes black because it doesn’t seem to receive an image. An attached monitor keeps rendering an image but it’s frozen as well. The longest I had to wait was 5 to 6 seconds. I think this should be opened as a bug in the forum…

Yes, I remember that happening when the feature was enabled – I disabled it early on.
However, with it disabled I think you can get behavior like the OP is asking about.
This is what I remember it being like anyway. I’ll test it on purpose the next time I fly in the evening.
Probably not the OP’s issue, but always worth ruling out simple fixes. :thinking:

Just a quick question. When you have the headset audio working does it call itself Realtek Audio (USB2) and not HP or Reverb or G2??? is this correct.

it’s like that for me, yes

Did a little testing last night. Flying the default Cessna in VR at EGHI with photogrammetry, I found the issue happened a few minutes after takeoff !!! With the view in the headset going black and the sound popping and then going silent for a couple of seconds after which all returned as normal with the same high FPS. The next time this happened I took the head set off to see that the image on the monitor was showing the view but had frozen!! I was sure it would also go black the same as the headset… Maybe there is a clue here somewhere??? More testing tonight me thinks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same for me AFTER takeoff. 1 or 2 minutes later at a Time it had to perform better. Cos out of lod photogrammetry and Traffic. Pause the Game if it happen Check your Speed and hight in your Test :wink: