Reverb G2 - interior relatively sharp, scenery blurry

I noticed a strange phenomenon with Reverb G2 and MFS2020, which is not (so much?) visible in other games, or Google Earth VR:
The cockpit interior (not only the instruments, but also the side window frames, even wing struts) are relatively sharp, even outside the G2 sweet spot. The scenery is much more blurry, I would say the sweet spot for scenery is much smaller compared to the interior.
What could be the reason? Separate rendering of interior and the scenery? The fact that the interior is relatively stationary while the scenery is moving relative to the pilot? A psychological expectation to see more details in the scenery? Issue with my vision (I’m 50+, I don’t wear glasses, but I should, in the range of +/- 1 for both far and near vision) - but why this should affect only the scenery?
I follow @CptLucky8 recommendation for GA to maximize scenery quality: 60-70% TAA in sim, 100% SS in OpenXR Developer Tools, no reprojection, WMR (no SteamVR), resulting in ca. 30+ FPS with nVidia 3070 GPU.

1 Like

From my experience with the Index and the G2, the only sane answer to me is just the resolution. In effect it requires smaller pixels for the farthest objects otherwise you can’t represent enough details (re: Nyquist frequency when sampling a signal).

For example, the Index with a lower resolution is not capable of restituting the same level of details at 30m from you in HLA, whereas the G2 can. Here is typically what this looks like (YT video paused at the frame I want to show you):

Reverb G2:
https://youtu.be/fPYOip3ow_I?t=75

Quest 2:
https://youtu.be/LdqXn_8_yuc?t=367

NB: I’ve chosen the Q2 video because it is close enough to the difference I’m trying to highlight and I didn’t find the same shot readily available. Otherwise the Index image is much better than this Q2 video!

Compare the details on the brick wall, on the left edge around the big metallic door at the back of the scene. Because there are less pixels, it is more blurry. However what is closer is similar (you can scrub the videos to find other similar shots of up close details).

Using TAA60 + SS100 is a perf/pixel tradeoff. In order to see the true power of the G2, use TAA110 + SS100 and compare… (don’t move your head much because it will be awfully slow, but it gives you the nice picture you’re looking for)

What I still don’t understand is why the scenery is not so blurry in the small sweet spot, apparently smaller for the scenery far away vs. the perceived relatively bigger sweet spot for the cockpit interior. In other words, why the sweet spot appears smaller for the scenery vs. the cockpit?

Is this because the objects close appear as generally sharper, so they are still sharper even outside the sweet spot?

And why is this so much visible in the MFS2020 vs. other games? Because of having in the scene the objects which are very close (cockpit) and very far (scenery)? Or due to resolution limitation (60-70% TAA) required to keep reasonably high level of FPS?

1 Like

Try comparing TAA110 + SS100 first and see how different, or not, it is. In the end, it is a matter of angular resolution (how many pixels per degrees). The closer, the better.

Having the same issue on my quest 2 using Link or virtual desktop…

Compared to my 40 inch 4K display, resolution of my quest 2 looks like 720p…

Blurry because of lack of pixels

IMO virtual headsets needs 4x more resolution than they have now to match the accuracy of a flat 4K display…

Quest 2 has a slighly lower resolution than G2 (1900 vs 2160) but the difference with a flat monitor is so big that i don’t think it makes such a difference between both headsets… Technology is not ready yet

The Reverb has 1.2 mio pixels more per eye and the use of pixels is better, because there are 2 display panels whereas Quest2 has only one panel for both eyes. So the pixel advantage of Reverb should be even bigger. Quest has also the hurdle of image data compression through Link or VD. This, summed up, is not a slight difference in resolution but rather very noticeable.
Having said this, even the Reverb marks the lower limit of the bearable and there is a long way to go…

Yeah we are talking about 30% more pixels in total, which is not a lot…1832×1920 vs 2160x2160…

To me to reach comparable pitch to a 40inch 4K monitor you need 400% more pixels at least…

Compression is not an issue anymore on quest 2 since last updates BTW…

To me the VR headsets are several years away to have a sufficient quality for FS 2020, which is a game where sharpness is essential, because most of the outside scenery details are very small (buildings and trees).

On my 4K screen with Nvidia sharpness filter the game is really a joy to watch. I bought a Q2 as a first try in VR. It is impressive experience for sure, but quality is not there yet. Just the beginning IMO.

1 Like

Try to play with TAA render scale in game and OpenXR render scale. Try 110% in game and 50% in OpenXR. See if that improves sharpness in game.

1 Like

The difference between the G2 and the Quest 2 with Link even after the v23 update are HUGE. Link is a bad joke compared to the G2 and still suffers horribly from compression… I mean, what do you expect… DP1.4a bandwidth: 26gbps, Link: 0.5gbps at best…

The G2 has higher PPI in the center of the screen than my 55" 4k LG CX… the Quest looks like a compresses youtube video in comparison…

1 Like

Yeah, gotta have G2 for FS2020… Quest 2 is great in it’s class of portable HMDs, but G2 is probably the best current gen VR headset for PC VR gaming. I am glad I sold Quest 2 and got G2 from October pre-order.

I agree that G2 is sharper. Though I don’t agree with the bitrate comment. It is not comparable. 500mbps is more than enough for 8K real time video. Data is compressed. DP and HDMI is raw data. Compression takes ressources though.

I see absolutely no compression artifacts running at 5708x2736 +130% supersampling in FS2020.

For my system and GA flying, I find this the best setting for good terrain sharpness

So you’re not seeing additional blur around sharp corners or text? That’s caused by compression, not resolution.

I’m not talking about compression artifacts like blocking and glitching but compression side effects (and boy are they there is you fire up a racing sim when you’re close to the ground. The road becomes a grey blob and grass becomes a green blob lacking any detail). And yes, I’m running 1.7x multi with 150% SS on 500mbps. That along with blur doesn’t do the Quest 2s almost 2k display not ANY justice at all. Heck there are cases where I see more texture detail on a CV1.

Please don’t add to giving Oculus the impression that Link stuff is “good enough” because it isn’t. The compression, latency (at times), discharging while playing isn’t an acceptable solution for PCVR. All the Quest needs is a DP/HDMI connector and it would be fighting to be PCVR consumer market leading.

It is a superb (!) standalone device, they nailed usability for roomscale and user experience. But they miserably failed on PCVR capability.

Do you have everything turned OFF, or on LOW? Or you watching slide show in VR? I mean 5708x2736 +130% supersampling in FS2020…

How does your instrument panel look like though? Prolly quite blurry?

Around 25 FPS with an RTX 3080 with a mix of Ultra, medium and low.

I do not. My texts are sharp now.

But not enough pixels to render the environnement sharp enough.

I still have some issues with the sound though with FS2020

Interesting. I can’t get sharp edges on text or the instruments at all. No matter the multi, SS, bitrate.

If you’re having sound cutouts try lowering the bitrate. Usually that helps.

Would you mind sharing your ODT and nvidia 3d settings? 3080 here too, maybe you’re onto something if you actually have a crisp image because for the love of god I can’t get rid of the blurryness. It’s not even a contest against the Index which wins clearly despite it’s SDE.

Still looks really good to me

Please let me know your settings, I wanna try. I am running 3090.