REVERSE PROPS (is actually a FEATHER and they use REVERSE THRUST as convenience gladly but should rename it properly for FEATHER)

Never been correctly labelled. Please not change the BINDS just the naming. Frankly I am not bothered but is confusing to newbies.

I have to test this command ASAP, but there’s not a single default aircraft in MSFS which uses propeller reverse thrust.
Only throttle reverse thrust.
Propeller reverse would move the blades in the opposite direction and to a totally different angle than feather.

edit: using propeller reverse thrust behaves different depending on the prop lever position, strange.

Props do have “revers thrust” but the naming is not accurate.
Variable pitch propellers can have :
Feather essentially blade pitch is <> 90 degrees for minimum drag in flight
A positive pitch angle provides forward thrust
A negative angle provides reverse thrust
<> 0 degrees “disking” reduces the load on the engine (on the ground or extra drag in the air)
Also many light aircraft have fixed pitch props so it can be confusing.
:wink:

Again, no default aircraft in MSFS uses prop reverse.
The negative blade angle is being controlled via the throttle, hence you can and should only use throttle reverse.

Furthermore propeller reverse thrust doesn’t make any sense.
If you control the negative blade angle with anything else than the throttle, the correct designation would be propeller reverse pitch.

Discing in the air? Are you sure? Which aircraft?

Props do have “reverse thrust” but the naming is not accurate.
[/quote]
MSFS Sim/Game default keyboard (can be bound joystick etc. as required)
Propeller

• Decrease Propeller Pitch: CTRL + F2
  • Propeller Pitch Hi: CTRL + F4
  • Increase Propeller Pitch: CTRL + F3
  • Propeller Pitch Lo: CTRL + F1

Throttle

• Throttle Cut: F1
  • Decrease Throttle: F2
  • Increase Throttle: F3
    In reality there are many variations of turbo-prop and piston engine throttle and prop controls (Fadec etc. etc.)

In many turbo props (PT6 in particular), the blade angle will adjust into a more flat pitch with the power lever selected to idle, this is in preparation for operation of Beta, which is the entry point to use of reverse thrust. A braking effect in the air is an intended feature, you either carry power down final if you don’t want the braking effect, or, if the engine has stopped, feather the prop. Different props on PT6’s have noticeably different idle braking effects – ’depends on the prop. A PT6 is free turbine, so the engine does not care if the prop is turning or not.
PT6 powered aircraft can fly with the prop feathered, and the engine still running happily at idle

Airborne discing to a degree
Dash 8
“Twotter”
C130 could that’s effectively why one landed on an aircraft carrier.

I don’t know where you’ve got your discing info from, but at least in case of the DHC-8 and the C-130 it’s completely wrong.
Anything below flight idle is strictly prohibited in flight for obvious reasons.

A flat pitch has absolutely nothing to do with a ‘preparation’ for beta.
Beta range is the range where the throttle controls the prop pitch instead of prop levers.

FYI, that’s what usually happens when you override the flight idle position and select discing or beta in flight.

2 Likes

What can be done and is prohibited is the key point.
“Positioning of the Power Levers below the flight idle stop during flight prohibited. Such positioning may lead to loss of aircraft control
”
Hence C130 carrier landing deemed to dangerous to continue.

I don’t know what “discing to a degree” means.
Either you are at or above flight idle or below.
Again, I’ve never ever heard, read (or tried it myself) to go below flight idle on the DHC-8.

Binding is wrongly named as said.

I use the Mugz Improvement Mod (also updated recently) but it and the default has always used REVERSE THRUSR Bind. As pointed out, the REVERSE PROPS is actually a FEATHER. I do not mind needing 1 bind for both Planes but again, and again, and again
 REVERSE PROPS is labelled wrongly. Up to you to simply use REVERSE THRUST and then use REVERSE PROPS for the FEATHER (FEATHER is actually Reverse Props - yeah, messed up eh!!!)