[REVIEW] Great Britain Central by Orbx - Sightseeing Paradise 😎

Here’s my review of Orbx’s Great Britain Central add-on.

This time around, no videos. The landmarks are so spread out that it’d be basically impossible to film them all lol, you’ll have to be content with the written word and screenshots :smiley:

Basically, Orbx confirms itself as the top tier for landmark packages. This isn’t as dense as their city-focused packages, but IMHO it’s better value. You’re in and out of a city in a hot minute, but this can enrich whole flights.

The quality is good, and I love that they basically include mini-city packages for a few important ones like Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Blackpool and more, basically restoring skylines that the autogen simply can’t do.

The one rather big issue is the lack of snow coverage. This has to be an oversight since I can’t fathom why they’d miss it otherwise. They had snow coverage in Singapore where it never snows.:joy: Hoepfully, it’ll be fixed before the winter comes. :thinking:

15 Likes

Great review. I’ve been wondering if this was any good but couldn’t find any external evaluation of it.

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks.
Then let’s hope they are already working on a version of Southern England. Would love to fly over Bury St. Edmunds or Ely or any of the hundreds of castles, cathedrals, forts and manor houses between Kent and Land’s End :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d have this for the whole world lol.

Yeah that would be a good thing. Probably will cost around 5.000,-€ considering only about 1/3 of Great Britain is covered by the one pack :smiley:

You mean one-third of England :joy:

I actually really meant Britain. Figured they’d split it up in Midlands/Wales, Southern England and Scotland. Maybe a fourth for Eire.
But I actually don’t know the coverage of this package. Did they includeb the North of England (Lake District, Lancashire, Yorkshire etc.)?

Actually you’re right, it does get basically up to the border with Scotland (I guess it stops just a little bit short?), so it actually makes sense to call it Central Great Britain.

If it follows what they did for other sims, they’ll have a North GB (I wonder if the Scots get offended by this naming haha) with Scotland and what’s left of Northern England and a South GB with Southern England and Wales.

3 Likes

From what I can see there’s not much from North England missing if it goes up to Berwick.
It’s quite an impressive list. Just curious that they decided to include the north coast of Wales but nothing else

The rest of Wales is included in the South GB package.

1 Like

Yeah I’m sure of it. But it’s still a bit odd that they split off such a tiny part. Why not keep Wales together.

In their roadmap they state these are the upcoming regional packs:
Canary Islands
Northern England
Scotland

I guess they changed the name of Northern England to Great Britain Central.

I love this package too, adds a lot for VFR flying and the selection is great! I would say the POI are of good quality but not the highest we’ve seen, with that I mean they look great from distance (such a plane) but less so when you inspect them closer. Which is the right decision, in order to offer a good performance, so not a negative thing (it’s a flight simulator after all!), but might be good for people to know :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It really depend on the landmarks. Some are awesome, some are less detailed but still quite good. They pretty much went with the same philosophy they did with cities with some “hero” assets for the most important things.

Can I ask you a question? I assume that all of you fly fully online with photogrammetry and 200 Mbits optic fibre internet and stuff, but I can´t because of my internet speed.

So my question is, does this Great Britain Scenery work fully offline with offline perfect quality photogrammetry-like HD buildings and offline satellite images?
(If yes I would plan to buy OrbX sceneries later to finally have the full visual fidelity of the new flight sim without internet access).

If I understood your question, the add-on works offline, but the landmarks will be placed over the offline landscape, so you won’t have aerials and photogrammetry. Just the landmarks themselves.

But it’s not like Orbx’s TrueEarth packages for other sims that also include the aerial photography and terraforming.

Hmmm so it´s only the pure landmarks, no scenery… well in this case it unfortunately makes no sense buying it because I cannot run photogrammetry (and many times not the satellite images either.)

Glad to hear it’s good. I’ll definitely pick it up. I think Orbx have done a good job seeing a hole in MSFS’s otherwise very good scenery – landmark buildings – and provided a reasonably priced solution. I hope they are selling well and that we’ll continue to see them for places around the world.

EDIT: sorry I should have read your article before posting. You made my point much better than I did. Thanks for the review :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately it would make no real sense for them to do it any other way. Having the rest of the scenery would drive the cost up a lot.

Do you know if there a full list anywhere of what’s been added? I’ve purchased from orbx but even then couldn’t find a list!

If you look on Orbx Central, there’s an interactive map with all the landmarks. The problem is that you need to uninstall it to see the option to “explore” it.

2 Likes