[REVIEW] Piper PA-28R Arrow III by Just Flight - By far the best payware GA add-on available at the moment

Me too :slight_smile:
Played a bit with engines,cfg (added a normalized turbocharger but kept the same 200hp rating) and tweaked very slightly the parasite drag scalar in flight model cfg.
Cruise speeds are about 130ktas with winter temperatures with 75% power settings.
Best addon so far, the mooney and seminole come a close second but this is just different in some way.
The piaggio 149 also comes a very close second, the autopilot and customization options on the arrow take it higher on the rating though.

2 Likes

Agreed. Worthy placeholder until A2A jumps in.

The thing is amazing. It feels like the most in depth GA by a country mile right now.
I feel horrible for my poor carenado (yes its a diff model) just wasting away in the hanger
The sound and interior fidelity is borderline insane, the worn away left stick yolk… my my my

Carenado Piper barely could take-off from a 1,950’ paved strip right out of the box. It’s not accurate.

That one is a little weird. It acts like it is stuck to the ground magnetically or something. You almost have to jerk the stick back until it becomes unglued to the ground.

1 Like

To be fair, extreme realism isn’t exactly among what they promise.

1 Like

There are tables for the throttle setting in the ODM, you can check them yourself. Depending on altitude and power level you have to have the throttle at 100% since it provides the highest possible manifold pressure.
Nothing special about this.

Most people won’t fly at power cruise 75% though since there are much more economical setups that will save you a lot of fuel. But even then, at certain altitudes you are still at 100% throttle but less rpm and leaned mixture.

I do not own the Carenado but that is usually a sign that take-off trim needs a touch more nose up. Possibly the default trim that it spawns with is too “nose down”. Try adding a couple of clicks of nose up trim as part of your preflight .

Thanks! It is weirder than that though to be honest. You pull back and it is still stuck to the ground so you pull back a little more and it still sticks. Finally you get to a point where it jumps off the ground and now you are pushing the stick down. It is really an odd feeling especially with a low wing plane which usually has a pretty good cushion of air going under the wing. Don’t get me wrong, I like it but, I just feel the JustFlight one is more true to life after having flown Cherokees often when I was young. - Lauren :slight_smile:

Hi Archer374, what settings did you adjust to get power boost? I’m also transitioning from the Mooney

just pushed up the thrust scalar by 15%. That let’s her reach a higher cruising speed more easily. But this sounds promising too :slight_smile:

With the update 0.3.0 there should be no need to tweak the configs to reach the 135ktas in cruise.

Funny, JustFlight set parasite_drag_scalar with the same identical value I had set on my tweaked one.

Any input / recommendation for the landing gear drag parameter? Saw some discussion about this, and not clear on what v3 changed there, if anything.

I’m not the right one to ask :slight_smile:
For me, the gear drag feels good, not sure why you’d want to change it.

Fair enough :slight_smile:

I was referring to the discussion going on here (a few posts in, discussing landing gear drag)

Thanks for all the great input on my new favourite airplane :slight_smile:

That is an interesting opinion.
So, he compares the arrow to a “similar aircraft like the king 350” and deduces that the flight model of one of the worst default aircraft should be the metric to compare to a piper arrow.
Curious lateral thinking there. :slight_smile:

And then gives a completely wrong suggestion about coupling the gps100 with the autopilot.

2 Likes

I love this aircraft. Its the only aircraft worth flying, and getting better all the time. I appreciate the speed with which Just flight has produced patches. The idle no longer moves the aircraft! And with the performance improvement from Asobo, this plane is a joy to fly.

Had some special adventures as most have, but the coolest thing is I’m now have a better understanding than ever before about flying the variable speed prop, and setting mixture. The old Skyhawk pilot in me just turned mixture by ear, but using the egt gauge provides clear direction.

The icing concerns, a combination of fidelity in the sim scenery and weather engine, have made for some serious decisions. Flew up a canyon recently with weather hovering at the canyon top. Had to climb to escape death, only to have ice in the clouds. Serious flying.

1 Like

Posted this in the other arrow thread.
It seems that the egt gauge is a little bugged and peaks too early. This causes the plane to no longer match published numbers if leaning using the gauge.

Lean to the published fuel flows and you should be right.

I usually start from a cold cockpit, and I like save state.

Yesterday I just wanted to check something out quickly, so I just started the flight on the runway. The animation you see as the plane taxies into position was hilarious as it was still chocked and tied as it moved.