Rex releases Global Airport Textures

Don’t install from the msi file. Use the exe.

1 Like

I just clicked on a download link from purchase receipt (order history? in my rex account) which downloaded a REX download manager. Opened that, I selected the program I purchased (this airport texture one), selected download and install full version, put in my serial number, selected the download links option (not the download manager option as this didn’t work for me) saved the two files (these saved as: rexinstaller.exe and rexrgat_20210608.msi)
I ran the rexinstaller.exe as admin and just followed the prompts within that to register the product and install. Don’t run the msi file :slight_smile:

EDIT: I see I was beat to it with a much simpler answer lol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Eureka…I hope…thanks gents…one more oldy question …how do I check that it has installed correctly…?
I was going in ever decreasing circles before…so thanks to you both for throwing me a life line…

You will notice an immediate difference in-sim. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is that… you will notice it in sim!
But if you want to be 100% sure and know how to locate the community folder, within that you will see a folder named “rex-real-global-airport-textures”. Or, it will show in the Content Manager page within the Sim’s main menus itself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still waiting for someone to release textures for the default airport buildings.
Hoped, this would contain them since it says “airport graphics”, but it’s again just ground.

I’ll see when it drops on orbx, just for the sake of one updater less to run.
But your feedback sounds promising.

Since they are changing the textures only, I assume there needs to be a balance of heavy tire marks and light ones. Zinertek looks great on bigger airports, but on smaller ones it looks out of place. But since it’s the same textures that MSFS uses, you can’t suit both which is probably why REX includes some variants to decide.

Also the way MSFS handles the runway markings (they overlay the ground texture) just doesn’t leave room for realistic representation of them. Same applies for snow overlay - it just covers the textures based on their brightness, darker areas get less coverage.

Nonetheless, Zinertek was worth it for me since the apron and the taxiway markings alone are SO much better to look at.
If you guys can show some screenshots of runways and taxiways from the REX addon, I’d be really happy. Unfortunately REX only offers a huge zip download to see some examples, which doesn’t work on a smartphone really well.

Yeah, the problem is that the installation is not very clear. Firs they warning you just not install the software in your Community folder, than when you install proper texture they asking just select the installation folder, not clear Community, even if you choose the version of the sim you have installed. In the end you should have everything in your Community folder. Some people may by mistake install all textures outside the Community folder, so it will be invisible in the sim.

Very weird install routine…I was a tad stuffed before the previous blokes pointed me in the right direction…now all good…touch wood.

Ok, I still don’t know… So stupid… When I run installer I have to choose the folder where REX Real Global Airport Textures will be installed. Do I need to choose Community folder right?

Might have been a tad easier for me as I have used REX stuff for many years since their very 1st release.
Since there are usually a large selection of textures (bit less here with 2 options each) they will install them all in a location (outside the sim) which allows you to select the ones you want to have then installed (or placed) over to the sim after making your selections. (Which is the final ‘installer’ or more, texture manager as I see it.)

I do have to say if you aren’t familiar with that process it could be confusing. Even I was a bit lost with how the instructions are worded but just went with my gut (so to speak) off of past experience with their products which ended up working out.

Does it support installing the different variants into a location where I could then use the AddonLinker to select my preferred variant?

Or do I always have to use their “texture selector” whenever I want to switch it?

Having Presets in the AddonLinker might help creating combinations depending on area where you’re flying or type of airports you plan to use.

Maybe just use their software to install to the location you link the addons from (It has the option for a custom path to the community folder), then rename that to something else (say the options you selected) then repeat that process until you have all the combinations installed… It could be done manually (I just had a look at the install path [outside the sim one] but, might be the easier to do it the way above)
Not sure if you would get any official support doing it that way (since they give you the texture manager software to do it for you.) You would also end up with a huge amount of data sitting around for no real reason as the options are for customising the ‘wear & tear’ of the taxiway markings and rubber build up on the runways. There are a lot more textures being revamped then just what we have the option to choose from, which seems to be the desired ‘flavour’ we like. From the product page it redoes the entire texture library.

With the used and heavy presets for wear that I am using it doesn’t look over done and just has that nice lived in feeling. Not over done at small GA airfields or large Intl airports.
On that though, I might go have a look at what the light build up looks like and see which I prefer, I’ll most likely keep the used taxi markings and won’t bother having a look at the ‘new’ ones yet since they aren’t over done or really in need of a ‘repaint’ yet :laughing:

For those who already have the Zinertek upgrade, it is better to uninstall it?? have you noticed compatibility problems?
Can Rex get the taxiways marks in the right place ??

Thanks

I have uninstalled the Zinertek option. It is attempting to do much of the same thing so I would assume a conflict would definitely occur and so uninstalled that before starting the install process for the REX ones.
Haven’t noticed any out of place taxi markings. I’m under the impression they are going where the sim tells them to and not the other way around. (So if anything was wrong I wouldn’t assume it was REX and would probably see the same mistake with the default textures too, just a hunch though :wink:)

:+1: REX is a guarantee, got it,
thanks for the review

1 Like

If you have ORBX airports (KSJC, KBUR), could you please make a comparison with Zinertek?

While Zinertek looks good for most default airports, the transform for some payware sceneries like ORBX’s do look worse (especially KSJC).

Sorry, I don’t have those two airports form Orbx. The airports I have got from them I haven’t seen a change (from either product) as I’m pretty sure they are ones using custom ground textures/markings.
I’ll have a fly around later and see if I do notice any changes but from the few I have been to today there hasn’t been, since this is just upgrading the default textures afterall :slight_smile:

Please take some screenshots. This product is about the looks but not a single screenshot has been posted yet.

I hoped that this initial path contains ready-made folders which then the manager just copies (or links?) to the Community folder.
If that was the case, you could simply point AddonLinker to that directory and you’re good.
I do it with the Orbx scenery folder as well, and it works well.

1 Like

I agree. Where are the pictures?

The first review smelled a bit fishy to me…no offense if it’s legit. But overwhelmingly positive. They know how flight simmers will buy stuff with one good review. Please post pics, be objective.

1 Like

I prefer REX, but it would be exhausting to do a ton of comparisons but here’s one comparing default, Zinertek & REX at KTPA.

I chose a default airport because payware airports are all going to different depending on how the developer decided to use the default textures - in cases where they “rigged” textures together to accomplish something this can have odd results in both Zinertek and REX - reach out to the scenery dev or REX and it’ll probably get fixed.

ZINERTEK

REX (aged taxiways & heavy runway wear options)

s

7 Likes