Riding the Jet Stream in South America - CRJ-550

Today, I tried to fly from SCPQ to SAVT, in South America. The reason I chose this route is because of the strong west to east jet stream. I’m done that in the USA a lot, during winter. It is fun to ride the jet stream.
Up to FL250, it was normal, with a strong tailwind. However, I the CRJ-550 climbed higher, airspeed dropped to just above 140kt. True speed was in the low 200kts, while ground speed was hovering between 290 and 310kts. The airplane was behaving as if going through strong headwinds, with quite a bit of turbulence. Yet, a strong tailwind was still being displayed of about 140kts. Eventually, GS and true speed dropped even more and the aircraft was unable to go higher than FL330. It just got stuck at that altitude.
This is a very weird behavior. It seems like the flight simulator’s physics are screwed up in the south. Anybody experiencing similar issue?

1 Like

This is a bug in the CRJ which Aerosoft seemingly has still not fixed (?). In my experience, you cannot recover the aircraft from this condition, even if you descend you cannot accelerate. I have had this issue several times too. In the end, I stopped flying the CRJ.
Were you able to land? In my experience you can land with a constant descent approach, but it’S difficult.

@BunkerTitan3681 I think you are right, about being an issue with the CRJ. I tried to go back to the airport I departed from. Turning the aircraft was very slow – it felt as if the CRJ was just floating. I was able to descent from FL330 to FL190, before the entire MSF2020 crashed, as I tried to access the map from the toolbar – I was playing in VR mode, by the way.

1 Like

Aerosoft has made a bad reputation for themselves in MSFS, due to for unfixed bugs and the quite disappointing Twotter which came out recently.
Lets look forward to the BAE 146 from Just Flight and the 737 from PMDG instead which are sure to be top notch.

2 Likes

The Twotter is really generally disappointing to you?
You don’t enjoy it at all?

1 Like

For the price, it’s just not as good as many other new addons which have come lately. I feel Aerosoft aims a little too low on quality.
The Milviz 310, the Chancellor 414 and the SWS Kodiak 100 are just much much better.