RIft S VR - should it be this blurred/pixellated?

I have a friends Rift S headset on loan to test MSFS, so I’m really inexperienced when it comes to using VR and optimising settings. For me its really immersive but I cannot pick out any details in cockpit such as text, button names, anything on the G1000 or G3000 displays as its too blurred or pixellated. Is it a limitation of my graphics card (RX580 still hanging on in there) or the Rift S or my eyesight ( I have some astigmatism in my right eye) or maybe not optimising the settings?

You can see the minimum requirements for VR here.

Regarding the settings, there’s 2 critical ones. First would be the Oculus render scale settings and there’s also a render scale setting in the game. The two work together. So you’ll need to play with them to find what works best for your headset and graphics card. My assumption nased off your graphics card is you will need really low settings and therefore it makes sense about you seeing pixelated objects.

There is a VR zoom setting and the cockpit camera gives you the ability to get closer to the instruments so you can use them when you need to read the gages.

Right mouse click :slight_smile: (at least in legacy mouse mode)

My GPU is pretty much at the lowest end of aceptable for this, but I have not come across an Oculus render scale setting, i think i see the one in msfs graphics options but its hard to read the options menu text when in VR mode!
Maybe I can map a joystick button for VR zoom - is that possible?

I recommend using the Oculus Debug Tool to set your Per Pixel Override to 1.25 and FOV Multiplier to 0.7,0.7 and set the in-game renderscale to 70. This should improve the instrument readability. Your GPU spec is pretty low for VR, so you might have to tweak the settings I mentioned above. Basically, increasing the Per Pixel Override will improve your instrument readability at the cost of performance, so you will need to reduce your FOV multiplier and renderscale to compensate.

By the way, do you wear your glasses/contacts when you play in VR?

Yep, I used to have a Rift S, this game is super pixelated in it. I recommend the G2

thanks for the info, yes i have to wear my glasses or i dont get binocular imagery and there is no depth, left eye is fine, right eye is poor.

Yes, even for people who have top specs and highest settings, VR doesn’t look as crisp as on a flat screen.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.