Rising smoke from industrial buildings, stacks and power plants

In real life rising smoke is a great indicator for determining wind direction in flight.

I wish there was smoke coming out of stacks from some industrial buildings and power plants (who produce smoke almost all the time) and under certain conditions also from non commercial buildings because of heating systems in winter.

Ideally effects vary with weather conditions. So on cold days more buildings produce this effect, whereas on warmer days only the industrial buildings would.

That would be great, never seen that in any other sim so far

3 Likes

That sounds like a brilliant idea!

1 Like

Oh, it’s over year’s in DCS. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes, good idea and great for VFR.

You’ve got my vote.

1 Like

The smoke would make a great substitute for the windsocks we can’t see from the air.

1 Like

DCS - Digital Combat Simulator

2 Likes

Thanks for upvoting this idea so far!!!

Seeing realistic smoke rising from towns and cities would help so much to make the world feel more alive.

EDIT: It’s now possible!

I think it would give the sim quite realism.

Thanks and regards

You may want to take a look at the mod “We Love VFR” (region depends on where you fly).

They have this implemented.

• Smoke and steam effects for chimneys and cooling towers - wide and temperature dependant
1 Like

MODERATOR EDIT:
This post merged into this topic.

This is the ideal way to make cities instantly feel more alive. Right now they are empty-ish husks. But even a little bit of pollution can maintain the illusion. Ideally a few different opacities of smoke, and to have their occurence to not be constant, but randomized. If someone has already mentioned this, then by all means toast the thread, but I hadn’t seen it posted yet!

Do You plan to add 3D animated smokes from shimneys/cooling towers. Not from all of course, but at least from big power stations would be nice