RNAV landings in TBM

I seem to be having a problem using RNAV approaches in a TBM, in that It always takes me way short of the runway. I was flying from kgtu to kaus and landing at runway 17 r. If 1 would have not intervened I would have crashed about 100 yards short. It did this at more than 1 airport. When I did the routes again and used ILS everything was fine. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it something I need to sort out? BTW I had the same problem with a C172 using an RNAV approach.

Thanks

Lnav doesn’t work in tbm …

Search is your friend. Discussed in detail already.

RNAV and ILS approaches are not “Auto landing” options. They bring you to a set of minimums and then you fly the plane in. Just like TomTom is not an auto drive system. You follow the directions unless they are about to direct you into a lake.
LNAV does not work, correct, but that is not the same as RNAV

3 Likes

I know that, I just thought it should get you closer to the threshold, like get you low over the start of the runway, not 100 yard short. I seen videos where the plane just lands, rough, land hard. ILS gets you closer ahs been my experience.

If you’re using default nav info in MSFS, your RNAV approaches tend to bring you down either before the runway, or after. For example, one RNAV approach at my local airport, if I let the AP follow it, would bring me down about 1 mile past the end of the runway into Lake Ontario. On other airports, it would drop me down about 100 feet before the runway into the grass.

The best thing to do is switch off your AP when you’re close and just take it in manually.

Now if you have Navigraph and use the Navigraph data, it actually fixes many of those way too short or way too long RNAV approaches. It will still take you down RIGHT at the end of the runway, so you still need to switch off AP and do a manual landing.

As has been said, RNAV and ILS aren’t auto-landing features. They just bring you down within sight of the runway and you’re expected to land the plane yourself.

LNAV doesn’t work in most planes, and it’s irrelevant to an RNAV approach.

LNAV is completely relevant to RNAV approaches. Yes, depending on the installation they can be flown in APR, but apart from LPV approaches, all RNAV approaches can be flown with LNAV for lateral control.

It’s relevant in the real world, but in the context of MSFS as it stands right now, LNAV is not required. APR mode is all you need.

Perhaps one day it will be. And it SHOULD be. But right now, in the context of this guy’s question on RNAV, it’s irrelevant.

RNAV approaches do work in the TBM provided you set it up correctly and you don’t hit one of the few occasions where the underlying Navdata is buggy. P Catcomb has a good YouTube video on it. If Setup correctly the plane follows the lateral path and even switches automatically the ILS where available.

No it is no Autoland, neither is the TBM equipped for Autoland. Nor is the TBM certified for CATIII so the above mentioned 100 yards are plenty given the usual CAT1 minimums.

I can confirm. RNAV works 9 out of 10 times very well in the TBM. Just use the approach plates and manage your speed and altitude accordingly. Know your MDA and you are supposed to fly the last 300 to 500 ft yourself. AP off, keep your descent rate by managing your thrust to bring you to the treshold. The only thing, after the last couple of patches the plane jumps down into the glideslope. But that’s no different to ILS. You at least know you’re on the glideslope. Most important is to be at the rigth place at the right time with the right speed and landing config, this even more important when you fly an airliner, like for instance the A32NX.

P.S. Almost forgot. Make sure your altimeter is set correctly. QNH.

1 Like