Rolling cache question

but don’t tell this the 64GIG users :rofl:

I have same setting as @SharpWave … 64GIG RAM, 16GIG rolling cache on a sep. disc ( but only because I want safe lifetime of my main ssd a bit ).

I’ve always used the cache and I think its important. It not only helps one with lesser internet but if those with better internet use it it will decrease the demand on the servers.

As for its size, I ran with a 100Gb cache for a while but I don’t think I ever even half way filled it (just a guess). I currently think 32 - 64Gb is best.

I know the cache works because there are a number of locations that looked or performed bad when I first flew into them but they got progressively better over just a few flights.

Use the manual cache for that. You can define an area and it will download it and save it for you so it loads from disc instead of downloading. Unlike the rolling cache, it doesn’t get pushed out as newer data comes in.

The rolling cache was kinda pointless before SU5 (if you had good internet) yet now it’s essential to speed up redraw when looking around

I’m only using 4GB cache and it works great. I don’t intend to fly in the same places so no point storing all that data. Plus I read that setting the rolling cache very big can lead to problems. Manual cache has never worked for me, always CTD when trying to download an area.

N

I moved my rolling cache to D: drive and set it 100GB and I don’t get popups while flying and no issues.

I have 200 set aside for my cache.

9/10 flights, I’m taking off from KSTL or a nearby airfield. Trying to learn my home town as much as possible from the air.

Doesn’t seem to help with pop-ins. But I have noticed a CONSIDERABLE decrease in my loading times (Other than start up load in, obv.)

Did you delete the cache before changing!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.