Rolling Cache won't update!

pc Microsoft Store version

Post SU6 deleted rolling cache, trying to update but it stays on the “please wait” updating rolling cache while it is on 100%" I need to Alt Enter Del to get out of FS
I entered 32GIB for Rolling Cache, it was always 32GIB.
Nothing in community folder, no mods.

change the path first?
delete the file from disk first?

1 Like

Could be 5 hours ago, you still werent connected to the network (crash) Id try again now and see what happens. If you dont have connectivity the cache cant update.

1 Like

thanks for the help it worked.

1 Like

Just had the same issue.

OK so I had to select a different folder and this time it worked OK. Apparently it didn’t like the default folder I’ve been using for more than a year now…

1 Like

Make sure to delete the old cache file since it could cause you issues down the road…

2 Likes

Hello, I have same issue exactly how do I know what folder to select or select another folder in the sim?

Thanks

I created directory C:\MSFS Rolling Cache and was using it for Rolling Cache. But after some point I stopped using it altogether, I disabled Rolling Cache years ago.

Do you find the sim operates fine without a rolling cash? , thanks for helping me.

Charlie

Go to: Options / General Options / Data:

• Make a note of the folder listed in the “Rolling Cache Path” field
  • Turn Rolling Cache to OFF
  • Press F11 to Apply & Save
  • Exit MSFS
  • In Windows explorer, Open the “Rolling Cache Path” folder
  • Delete the file: ROLLINGCACHE.CCC
  • Start MSFS
  • Go to: Options / General Options / Data:
  • Turn Rolling Cache to ON
  • Leave the Rolling Cache Limit (GB) at the default value (8, I think), or change it if you want to (I use 5, works well)
  • Enter the path you want to use for the rolling cache in the “Rolling Cache Path” field
  • Press F11 to Apply & Save
  • Exit MSFS
  • Start MSFS & see if the issue is resolved.

Thank you so much for this procedure, I’ll have a go.
Kind Regards
Charlie

Yes it’s working perfectly fine without Rolling Cache. My understanding is that you need Cache only if you’re flying all the time from/to the same locations, so caching them creates fewer pop-ins in the terrain mesh plus MSFS consumes less bandwidth (in case your Internet bandwidth is low).

These are the pros. But I find the cons much more important. You have to remember to delete cache every time a sim update is released, you have to delete cache if you start experiencing CTDs, you have to delete cache if you’re loading a new addon which alters mesh and landscape and so on and so forth. Rolling Cache is such a liability for stuttering and CTDs that I don’t trust it at all. I’m happily flying without Cache for 2 years now.

Sorry, but I have been using the cache for years and can’t say I agree with much of this:

1. You don’t need to reset the cache after every sim update. While this has become part of the anti-cache folklore, it has not been recommended by Asobo. I’ve never cleared it and my sim is fine.

2. You don’t need to clear the cache when you install new addons. No idea where this idea came from. Simply not how a cache works. The entire point is to automatically replace old cached items with newer ones.

3. I don’t find the cache to be a liability at all. Reduces dependence on bandwidth and also reduces wear on the SSDs.

I’m happy flying with the rolling cache for 2 years now and have NEVER deleted it. Not once since I built my system.

1 Like

That’s some excellent feedback however you being one of the lucky ones, doesn’t mean that rolling cache cannot cause issues. I’ve stopped counting the number of times I’ve read that resetting rolling cache was the workaround to issue X (X being a wide variety of completely different problems).

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019202439-How-to-delete-the-Rolling-Cache-and-the-Manual-Cache-to-fix-some-performance-issues was posted 2 years ago and it’s still relevant. There’s also https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016424300-How-to-get-rid-of-the-notification-Package-failed about “package failed” error where deleting rolling cache is one of the troubleshooting steps.

Only in the current forum there are hundreds of posts similar to these ones: Clear local (rolling) cache after world update? - #9 by Delta2k5 and I Don't Use Rolling Cache Anymore - #16 by XR219

So yeah perhaps there’s no official recommendation to delete rolling cache after each sim update but it’s still something done for good measure by lots of people because it has no downside anyway.

There are hundreds if not thousands of Google search results on rolling cache causing issues (both in the current forum and everywhere else) and for such basic functionality the fact that we’re debating its usefulness or stability 3 years later says something.

ps: I have no idea what “anti-cache folklore” means but it doesn’t sound very positive. Anyway, keep flying with rolling cache on and enjoy MSFS.

pps: having said that, I’ll enable rolling cache today to see how much difference it makes

Apparently rolling cache only creates problems, I’ve never used it and haven’t seen any downside to not using it.