Round the world in a X Cub

I have an hour to go and about 6 gallons of fuel. Not sure i can make it. I am at 10,500 so i can bring it back to idle and an decent for about 20 minute. Might have to land on the beach and put some fuel in from the jerry can in back :wink:

6 Likes

Tensionā€¦

2 Likes

Landed on Urup Island in a field on top of hill. Will in 15 gallons/ 90 pound of fuel (which would have been in the usable cargo weight of the plane.) I if I was smart I would have rigged up some kind of hand pump for the copilot to pump in the tank. But from the pics I found, carrying a few extra gas jugs is not unheard of

![UqbcYt2|427x240]big_creek_may_09_017

5 Likes

Back in the airā€¦ Thank goodness for a true back country airplane. Did not have enough field to get the speed up but high enough on a cliff to drive over the end, like WW2 fighter on a carrier.

2 Likes

Love following this.

Super curious:

• What charts are you using for VFR? Skyvector etc pretty much cuts you off once you leave the contiguous US
  • how do you plan your legs? Look at map etc?
2 Likes

I use Skyvector. It may not have the ILS or radio info but since I am flying low and slow, it it is not that big of deal. I plan my legs by looking at the map on Skyvector, far eastern Siberia does not have may options but once I get Japan and Korea I will be good, or use Google Maps for a general plan. I am still toying with going down to Australia, but that is an extra 30 hours of flying in each direction.

1 Like

Made it! Next stop, Japan, which should be an easy 1 and a half hour hop.

2 Likes

And worth every minute :upside_down_face:

Glad you make it to land! It must be scary to see the fuel going down and that big stretch of sea under the plane! I do short stints for now, and Iā€™m still in very populated places, with lots of airstrips around. Will see how it goes when Iā€™ll cross the Middle east and Arabia! Anyway, how do you set up the weight? Iā€™d like to ditch the co-pilot, donā€™t like to see it external view. So I set my real weight, I set 1 for the co-pilot cos I like to think Iā€™m alone, and 150lb of cargo (Iā€™m traveling around the world, I should have a lot to carry with me). Maybe Iā€™ll put more weight for longer flights, to count for extra fuel tanks like you. Also, I donā€™t like how the savegame works, are you creating a new flight every time or continue the savegame? Fly safe!

I create a new flight every time and since I tend to fly low and slow I do it VFR direct. I do wish we could save a flight in progress, I did have to pause my flight for about an hour while I went to pick up the cat at the vet yesterday. I suspect I might get a little better GPH if I zero out the copilot, may have to try it soon. For a while most of my hops will be under 2 hours so the extra weight is not a big deal.

2 Likes

If any one wants to join at 3:30 Pacific time I will be leaving UHSI to RJCN Nakashibetsu Airport, should be about 1:45 flight, and the weather looks clear so far

1 Like

Iā€™m Down! Do you set your multiplayer settings to ā€œallā€ or do you use a group when you are flying with other people?
Also, I just read this book called ā€œflight of passageā€ about 2 kids who flew across the US in a cub, and I decided to recreate their flight. Any tips/tricks for long distance in the Xcub?

2 Likes

I set it to all. My tip that has worked so far is to set your mixture and lower the prop RPM. At about 4000 feet I run 50% mixture and at 10,000 I run at 30% and cruise around 2,300 to 2,400 RPM and get around 8-9 GPH.

1 Like

Didnā€™t know about this book, really interesting and recreating the trip is a great idea! Maybe the Savage Cub is closest to the original, but having flown the XCub I can only recommend it, loving it so far!

I did realize that the savage cub would be closer to the plane they used. However, I am relatively new to simulation, and flying by heading and estimating distance traveled seemed really tricky. Maybe in a year when Iā€™ve grown more proficient at navigation Iā€™ll do it in a savage cub. Also, I like the XCub too much to abandon it. Itā€™s an amazing plane!

1 Like

Oh wow thatā€™s a lot higher than I though. I though that you would cruise at 3-4000 max. Thanks for the tips!

1 Like

Are you making a video of your journey?

1 Like

I need to figure out how to do it, now that I will be getting back to civilization

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips @EricC97123 and yes a YouTube or live on Twitch should be fun and interesting.

Letā€™s us know more details about joining you in on the legs.

Also thanks @WisconsinBoi729 for the book information, Iā€™m going to look for it and read.

1 Like

Try capturing your flights with OBS Studio. There is a shallow learning curve (unless you get into the advance stuff), the program is fairly intuitive. If you want to live stream on Twitch most people use StreamOBS. Both programs are free.

2 Likes