Round the world in a X Cub

Made it Aomori. The airport is up on bluff/ hill, a little bumpy coming in.

3 Likes

On my way to Matsushima Airport (RJST)

2 Likes

Amazing scenery, and I thought I had it good living in the PNW

3 Likes

You can save a flight in progress but it is a bit buggy. Press ESC to go to the pause menu and click Load/Save at the bottom. Stuff that I’ve noticed so far is:

• The weather/time of day cannot be edited after loading a save game. The little cloud in the top menu isn’t avalaible and cannot be enabled
  • Quite often the tail number and ATC call sign reset to the default. For me this is the most annoying bug because I always like to use my own tail number. I’ve tried saving at different points in the same flight. On reload, some saves are OK and others the tail sign is reset. I can’t see any particular circumstance that drives this.
  • I’ve had one occasion where the VFR map was stuck on reload - so it wouldn’t GPS track and couldn’t be zoomed or panned. This was broken for the rest of the flight and I couldn’t fix it
  • If you save with autopilot on, it is random (as far as I can tell) whether autopilot is on when you load or not - so be ready to fly the plane!
  • I’ve had occasions where the flight plan has not loaded - that was a real pain. However, I reloaded the save file and the flight plan returned - something of a glitch

Having said all that, if you are mid flight and are likely to need to stop, I suggest doing 2 or 3 saves over the space of a few minutes before stopping - I find that usually at least one of those saves works fine. So I do find it useful.

I’ve ZenDesked all this.

4 Likes

Don’t know if you’re aware but you can use the drone camera with proper pause (not the active pause) to get external shots without the flight instruments. Search for “Pause” in the key mappings, and you’ll find a mapping for pause and unpause (separate keys). They actually pause things properly so your plane doesn’t nosedive when you unpause. You can still use the cameras and set up your shots
like this one I took tonight:

5 Likes

Thanks, I tried playing around with the drone view a few days ago but have not gone back, I should do it while on the ground to get a feel for what it does. I will need to assign some keys for the view.

About half way there.

2 Likes

Droning is fun!

3 Likes

An xbox controller works great for it, and is much easier than keyboard if you have one

1 Like

You can also control the plane whilst droning - toggle on/off using C, but remember that it remembers the setting after you switch cameras back - so don’t go to the drone camera and forget you toggled C to control the plane last time and try to move the camera only to flip the plane over!

1 Like

Landed in Matsushima

2 Likes

Hey Eric, am I right in saying that after a while the XCub rolls towards the fullest tank? Sorry for the dumb question, still fairly new to sim flights
 If I am correct, do you use any trim for that or use mostly autopilot? Thanks and safe flight!

On the lower left side of the cockpit there is a red round thing, that switches between left and right tank and also shuts off the fuel. You want to switch from left to right about every half hour. It should in theory roll to the fuller tank. I have not tested how much it does. I will do it next time to see.

1 Like

Making the 80 mile hop to Fukuskima (RJSF)

3 Likes

More beautiful scenery

2 Likes

Another touch down. Next stop will be Tokyo!

3 Likes

For the short flights that I do, I leave fuel at 50% and switch when the first tank is empty. I probably should do it before then, I didn’t know. Thanks!

Yeah there is a little leaning after testing, I suspect the autopilot will compensate but that does add up to slower speed or higher fuel usage, in the big picture probably not much

1 Like

Sunset flight to Tokyo (RJTT)

2 Likes

Starting to see the glow of Tokyo

2 Likes