Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR or Turtle Beach VelocityOne?

Hey simmers,

I’m planning to update my rudder pedals soon and I narrowed it down to either the Thrustmaster TPR or the Turtle Beach VelocityOne. I like the rugged design and described excellent sensitivity of the first, but I also like the versatility and the good sensitivity of the second. I fly GA, Airliners and Helo’s.

I’m hoping to hear from people who upgraded from one to the other or have experience with both otherwise. Pricing and installing them isn’t a factor in weighing down the options.

Thanks for any help provided!

I havent used the Turtle Beach pedals. I have the TPR`s and can say hands down they are absolutly great. Very easy assembly, didnt have to tweek any settings really. Extremely responsive, very accurate and have had no issues what so ever. I also got and installed the add on dampers below:

2 Likes

Ah right I’ve came across that dampener as I’m researching. Can I ask what the added value is to it, in comparison from coming out of the box? Are the springs not good enough as they are?

I pulled the video as it was the wrong one… that guy didnt know what he was doing lol.

The dampers do exactly that… meaning they dampen the pedals so if you take your feet off they wobble for a secend or two. Not a issue really and i had the pedals for a month or so before I added them. I really didnt have any issues without them but many had said that they really added realism. Which they did.

I’ll find the video I watched and repost it.

Here’s the install video by the vendor. Theres no sound but it is how you install the damper. It also shows a before and after so you see and understand what it does for the pedals.

1 Like

If you fly Helicopters, you can also remove the springs that self center the TPRs and add the damper modification to hold pedals in place. So, you can set your tail rotor and remove your feet from the pedals so you do not need to keep pressing them.

Also as stated above without the damper mod, when the pedals return to center for normal rudder action, they tend to bounce a little. With the damper they return smooth as silk to center provided you adjust your damper and springs correctly.

I would recommend the damper mod to anyone buying the pedals. You are talking apples and oranges trying to compare Velocity Ones to the TPRs. The TPRs are on a whole other level when talking about design and build quality.

4 Likes

We really have such an awesome community. Thanks a lot for your insights!

1 Like

Not even a conversation. The TPR’s are in a different league. The old adage ‘You get what you pay for’ is so true in this case.

2 Likes

Yea, you’re comparing a Pinto to a Porsche on this one, the TPR’s are second to none. If you see value in that caliber of rudder pedal then that’s the set you want.

I upgraded from the basic Thrustmaster TFRP pedals.

I excluded the TPR’s due to high cost and I wasn’t confident I would like the pendular style.

I opted for the Turtle Beach. They are solid, and also come with multiple options for spring force, including I assume just removing them altogether should you want to.

Currently no regrets.

I should mention the Turtle Beach pedals have some other adjustments. Pedal width is adjustable, and you can also configure the pedals for a more upright, vertical position if you want to “push” more than “slide”.

Having a chair with locking castor wheels is a big help. You’ll probably roll away if you don’t have that option.

1 Like

I’ve recently made just this move; the TPR pedals are built to last a lifetime, there are no slider rails to gather dust, no plastic bearings, the adjustment options are staggering and they are very accurate in use.

I didn’t think I was going to like the pendular action but it feels very good in use. If money is not in the equation, its the TPR all the way.

I can definitely vouch for the TPM pedals, they work & feel just like the pedals on most planes, have plenty of adjustment & you can always add the damper mod if you need more. I haven’t found an issue with them in any way as yet, even feel is pretty good to me!

I certainly wouldn’t hold back over concerns with the pendular arrangement.
The pendular action is a big selling point IMHO and one of its many great features. Many aircraft have similar pedals in a supported from above type arrangement. You fly with your heels on the floor in a natural position with action to operate also very typical of aircraft rudder pedals. None of this sliding or twisting movement you get with most of the other pedal choices. The brake operation is great too.

I know you said you’ve narrowed it down to these two. But have you looked at the MFG Crosswinds?

1 Like

I bought these, and they’ve been a great addition to my chair. Brake is on when seated, off when weight is off the chair.

Compression Brake Casters

The TPR pedals are professional level pedals and I have been very happy with them since I purchased them over a year ago. I had tried two or three other pedal sets and none of them compares to the TPRs. Go for it you will not be dissapointed.

Get the TPRs if they fit your budget. I tried some other ones, but none compare to the TPRs, work great for both fixed wing and Helicopters…

There is another option, but never tried them by winwing, I have their helicopter collective, and its pretty nice… so their pedals might be worth a try or look at reviews and see?

I also considered both and can recommend the Turtle Beach pedals. They are very well put together and thought through. I especially like the versatility as both airliner/military and GA veriants with variable width and resistance.
Also there’s (almost) no detent in the centre position. I can only feel the detent with my hands.
The TRP is a tad superior when it comes to build quality but I don’t think it’s a serious factor. I doubt you can break either of them with wear and tear alone. Apart from that IMHO the Turtle Beach offers more value for money.

1 Like