Rudder Trim Tied to Nosewheel Steering

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

The rudder trim is tied to the nose/tail wheel steering of aircraft. In the case of the TBM-930, PC-6 or the Kodiak, the rudder is meant to be trimmed heavily biased to the right for takeoff. However, doing so causes the aircraft to also steer heavily to the right. This forces the pilot to then have to input heavy left rudder to counteract the right trim turning the nose/tail wheel to the right. The entire affair makes taxiing a pain, and completely negates the entire point of trimming the aircraft for takeoff.

Re-center the rudder trim and the problem goes away — the aircraft will track straight.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Load C&D into TBM-930, power up & start the aircraft engine, trim the rudder to the green mark as indicated on the MFD. Disengage the parking brake and attempt to taxi. Note the aircraft will turn itself to the right. This same behavior will make a mess of the takeoff roll.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Xbox Series X

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU10 or SU11

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Decoupling rudder trim, and nose wheel steering should help?

And that is done, how?

Sorry, I meant that would be on Asobo to resolve.

1 Like

Ha, yes, for sure. You had me scared there a minute that I was completely obtuse by not doing this myself!

1 Like

I don’t know for sure how this works in real life, but from what I have read the rudder trim will alter the position the rudder pedals rest at. So with a plane without a fully castoring nose wheel, this is also going to deflect the angle the nose wheel sits at? So is it an unavoidable, nay required situation?

I haven’t delved into it, at all, but in the case of these planes, it’s got to work differently than this, no?

As it stands it makes no sense. The whole effect is cancelling each other out, so why bother setting the rudder trim as specified for takeoff? Surely, this cannot be how it works in real life in the case of these example aircraft.

I’m also wondering if this effect is why sometimes aircraft are veering off the runway upon touchdown. If there is rudder trim set by an autopilot, or pilot and it hasn’t been centered prior to touchdown, isn’t that going to cause the steering to head off in the direction of trim, unbeknownst to the pilot?

That can probably be attributed to a couple of things, like exaggerated weathervaning, and pilots not putting in enough rudder to counter a crosswind.

Some new tyre friction scalars have been added to help with this.

There is a good real world example of this, or at least to my untrained eye it is. Watch what happens as soon as the nose wheel touches down.

Decouple nosewheel steering from the rudder so I can use the tiller.