Rumors That Windows 11 May Slow NVMe SSD Performance?

I haven’t noticed this myself with the sim on a dedicated non-system Samsung 970 Evo PLUS 1 Tb drive but the OnMSFT post claims that the Win11 NVMe effect has been widely reported on the Internet.

I’m using the same Microsoft driver both for the Samsung SSD and my system NVMe SSD, a KIOXIA SSD.

Windows 11 Might Be Crippling NVMe SSD Speeds (onmsft.com)

Mine did slow down.
But it is still much faster than my regular SSD.
And without benchmarking it, I wouldn’t have noticed.

1 Like

With every new Windows there’s countless rumours (like with every new MSFS update). And even if it’s there and you can measure it, doesn’t mean it’ll stay this way and most likely it won’t make a difference IRL.

That said: I stick to Windows 10. Never change a running system. Especially not if there’s no clear proven advantage. Also: MS pretty consistently proved over the last 30 years that every second Windows version is worse than it’s predecessor just to be followed by a major breakthrough. Windows 3.11 (followed by Windows 95), Windows 98 (followed by 98 SE), Windows ME (followed by XP), Windows Vista (followed by 7), Windows 8 (followed by 10) … I don’t trust them to break the pattern now :grin:

Windows 11 is ok, but unless you want a different “look”, there’s no compelling reason to change.

The performance difference in MSFS is negligible, and I have not noticed any change in desktop performance either.

2 Likes

Mostly yes.
There is one specific situation that clearly justifies W11: anyone upgrading to 12th generation Intel will eventually have to upgrade their OS, in order to benefit from the special CPU scheduler included in the latest version of Windows.

As to OP question: I have measured W11 vs W10 using Crystal Disk Mark after my upgrade a few months back to the early Win11 Dev Beta. I have not seen a significant difference, any delta was within the margin of error, and not noticeable when using MSFS. Read performance was a tad higher in W11, Write performance slightly lower,Random IO and latency as comparable as it gets.

4 Likes

For me, voice control of one’s PC, rolling out today in an Insider Build, is a compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 11. Microsoft purchased Nuance, maker of Dragon Naturally Speaking, which I’ve used for years. A while ago in a quarterly earnings report in the usual conversations that important company officers have with stock analysts, investment advisors, etc., Nadella said it was mainly for the use of voice in health/medical applications (when your hands are full working with patients, the ability to dictate commands or text is very helpful). One can speak words about 3x faster than one can type words. When I’m electronically bill-paying, I use Dragon Naturally Speaking(DNS). It’s great especially for dictating numbers, moving between apps, and executing menu commands much faster than I can switch between mouse and keyboard and move the mouse cursor across the screen and click on something, then perhaps start typing again or use the arrow keys. So Microsoft is going to put all the voice recognition love into Windows 11 but not so much, I do believe, into Windows 10.

Could you use voice recognition to significantly improve the MSFS sim experience - maybe one would like to be able to switch graphical settings on the fly in MSFS during live play without exiting what you’re doing - maybe the way the game has to load, etc., it’s not practical to do so. But certainly the kind of power that goes into a gaming PC is really great for voice recognition, too, which involves a lot of computation, especially if there is noise in the background. Maybe if the only thing you ever do with a particular PC is game, Windows 10 is fine until it’s completely unsupported, but for me, I’d rather take advantage of all the future improvements MS is going to put into Windows 11 and not into Windows 10, starting with Android apps, which should show up soon, and improved voice control of one’s PC. Windows 10 voice recognition doesn’t work so well compared to DNS 15 Professional Individual and DNS is getting long-of-tooth and menu commands don’t work well with a lot of modern apps or the changed Windows 11 interface (but then one can record voice macros). So hopefully with MS’s long-term investment in the HoloLens and AR/VR, it’s also got a long-term investment in making voice control/recognition better and better in Windows and that’s going to continue to come along in Windows 11 but I would bet not in Windows 10, which probably is pretty much feature-complete now. I wonder if there will be any future versions of Dragon, too? The incessant e-mails that I used to get for Nuance products have pretty much stopping coming.

Edit_Update: Where speech recognition meets the cloud: DeepMind tests the limits of large AI language systems with 280-billion-parameter model - The Verge.

The article says that Microsoft’s cloud engine for speech recognition is significantly larger than Google’s. So here’s hoping some of that capability trickles down to us lower-level, lower-paying individual customers both in business, personal, and gaming applications. Google’s conclusion, as reported on in the article, is that “big data” significantly improves the performance and the AI that goes along with voice recognition applications.

Here’s an in-sim application for voice recognition in MSFS. As you fly along, just ask ‘Cortana,’ “What am I seeing over the left wing of my plane right now?” or “Give me a bearing to the nearest airport.” (sorry if you can already to this with ATC or an app or the sim already-not keeping up with everything about MSFS).

Put w11 on this laptop, had all the correct hardware to run it. Printer never was set correctly every update, my Samsung Ear Bugs +, never worked correctly as the volume was way too low for me to be using them. Other little things like finding the desktop and task manager, were not there any longer with ease. Rolled back to the OEM W10 installed and going to stay that way for at least until “have to” is issued. Was thinking about new gamer desktop next year, that however is on hold due to possible medical issues being investigated, will know next week. Regardless, going to wait and see how SU8 fly’s and then will think about it after I know. Not in any big hurry I can tell you, may cost more money than can justify for something to play a game on.

The thing that bothered me the most about Win11 is it took away my 2 full rows of taskbar icons. Talk about killing productivity.

1 Like

On this past week’s Windows Weekly show, it was mentioned that the EU is investigating MS’s purchase of Nuance as being “anti-competitive,” - apparently some entity complained to the EU. That’s funny because Nuance itself gobbled up ~all sorts of various little companies to corner the market. Google, Apple, Amazon all provide speech recognition in their products and Microsoft is hardly dominant in online speech recognition, e.g., Amazon Echo is taking over the world and Cortana bombed. So I do hope the EU comes to its senses on the acquisition of Nuance. Perhaps the investigation is specifically related to business in the healthcare/medical industry, the reason principally, according to Nadella, that Nuance was acquired. The WW podcast also made the point that the Win11 improvements are in “speech control” and “speech texting” is considered a separate feature in Windows and is not being affected by the latest Win11 potential feature update.

Edit_Update: The EU approved Microsoft’s acquisition of Nuance with no restrictions. The FTC already approved the acquisition back around the beginning of June, 2021. The U.K. on its lonesome (post-Brexit) is beginning to review the deal…

Microsoft’s acquisition of Nuance Communications gets approved by the European Commission (onmsft.com)