Runway approach lights - should be directional

I didn’t even notice this topic before, so I’ll add in here some of the comments I’ve posted elsewhere.

NB: the screenshots below are from my original post back in September

Here is a screenshot I took at LFMN to show how runway lighting is displaying.

You can gauge the relative angle of the view direction and the runway in looking at the Safe Taxi airport diagram on the Reality XP GTN 750:

X-Plane 11

Same spot in FS2020:

NB: It is not dimming the lights as much as expected (I can see when circling around the airport the threshold is about 90 deg indeed):

For comparison, here is about the same vantage point seen in P3D5:

Here is another set of screenshots with XP11 illustrating how it is actually dimming the RWY lights

LFPG:

For more night lighting problems descriptions (some of which are also showing in these screenshots) and suggestions how to correct these:

Night lighting issues still present - The community solutions - #1111 by CptLucky8

Please note I’m not debating which simulator is better with these screenshots. I’m just using it in order to try illustrating the idea of dimming the lights with a narrower view cone and how it is helping decluttering the taxiway/runway lighting when not viewing in close direction to the taxiway/runway line.

3 Likes