Runway lights should not be visible during the day from a distance (or though fog/clouds)

As the subject says… EOM.

Totally agree.

Runway lights are too visible, from too many angles they shouldn’t be, basically in all situations in this sim. It’s quite unrealistic in a variety of scenarios.

1 Like

I would agree. One of the very few things Ex-Plane does well, is simulate the airport from a distance, but only if you use Ortho4XP. IRL, it can be hard to spot an unfamiliar airport during the day. Airports tend to blend in very well, especially if it’s a more rural airport. In MFS, the airports are a bit too easy to see during the day, and the runway lights don’t help with that realism.

2 Likes

Winter is even more “fun” to find them! :smiley: :snowman_with_snow: :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

Oh, for sure. Before GPS and moving maps, it was a real test of airmanship.

2 Likes

I think they added the visibility, though, plus proper on/off for night/day?

I upvoted still, because there isn’t a way to merge votes, even if threads get merged. Just having separate vote threads makes it harder for them to see the total… :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

I’m at MMMX, in the middle of the day, with clear skies, and we have bright runway lights. I know that some airports keep lights on during the day. Most do not. Even so, the lighting is awful. Night lighting is also awful.

Please, please, please fix this or allow us to

adjust lighting like we could in X-plane.

1 Like

Zendesk submission

or though fog/clouds

Errrh… they should be. It’s one of the reasons to have runway and approach lights in the first place. Again, one of the gazillion things I’ve pointed out a gazillion times and reported, but just as in every past version of FS, the lights still don’t propagate through fog as they should. In fact, the viewing distance seems to be the exact same for lights and unlit objects. You can find that out yourself. Also it impacts the difference between met vis and RVR. Still not fixed, and I get the feeling it will never be.

In real life, you’d look pretty dumbfounded during a CATIII (or any other IMC) approach, if you were not able to see the lights through the fog. Guess what, otherwise you’d see exactly nothing.

But they should not be visible at full intensity miles away.

1 Like

at least if they could fix the fact that we see lights(other planes & runways) through thick clouds it would help and add to the realism. There’s no point in doing minimum approaches if you can spot the PAPIs miles before the runway

Runway lights should not be on during the day in the first place (unless it’s IMC).

Yes its right and the runwaylight is also to bright. Becasue i can see the begin from the runway lights from fl400 XD

I must say my opinion to this,

this Topic is one of more non sence Topics what brings pure visual effect to sim. Now situation? Devs probably did some changes because of requested here and in low weather conditons and also on night, the lights (runway and especially taxi lights) are very dimmed and not with real world intensity. What to say next…

Wasn’t this identified as in progress or something? I mean this is a big one. It’s really annoying.

1 Like