Runway Tears / Terrain Issues in Photogrammetry Areas

Found this November thread in 2021. This tearing seems to be doubled now after SU5…Never had this problem though the 1,000hrs I spent in MSFS until now.

I just did my usual “KBFI crash drone run” to check the tile crack bug … and at least as far as I can see:

Tile crack bug seems fixed.

I would count that as a really positive change.

Now I did still see tile cracks in in water surfaces which did not heal … until the drone started to move towards those cracks (which seems to have triggered some 3D mesh update).

However, SU5 did intro (on my AMD Vega II GPU) a so far new “tile texture” bug … that is for a different topic, as it is mainly a visual effect … and not a 3D tile crack topic. The visual bug should not cause aircraft to get their “landing gear ripped off”.

1 Like

Do you mean like this, where it appears to fill in as small squares?

What I see in your two videos is something different than what I have (say in Honolulu). Your videos show the tile nature … due to slight color variations at different LOD “distances”. It might look visually disturbing … but it still is basically visually “correct” (= proper texture at proper place).

I am still looking for the proper discussion thread to go into more detail. But this is what I get after some “cruisin’” …

There seem to be a number of things going on in that new tile texture bug.

2 Likes

I have never seen that before. It almost looks like an overheating GPU, but this seems too ordered to be that.

… I opened a new topic on that “tile texture” issue over here …

1 Like

Same issue at EIAB, as seen here on the ramp on the north side of the airfield

2 Likes

Is that crack always at the same place?

Does it “heal” if you wait? (and move the camera slightly?)

Doesn’t alter in any way.

The Developers FPS Counter tool shows 4 lines below the FPS “Tearing Prohibited”. Is this part of SU5 or the hotfix? I haven’t seen it before.

It is there since SU5, I think it just means you have v-sync enabled.

hmm … then that is a different category of bug.

Perhaps in this case it actually is a mistake in the locations elevation data which causes those tiles to expose a crack.

I will visit that place to see if I get the same crack.

1 Like

This happens to me at KEMT on RWY 19. If you land on centerline the plane will crash into the ground.

Flying from KBVU to KLAS to KHND to KSAN, areas I frequent, I now encounter lots of uneven terrain and airport signage floating in the air. These never existed before SU5. Related to the downgraded graphics? Problem with photogrammetry? It seems that all the buildings are fine though.

Mysterious hole in taxiway

Floating runway markers

Wind socks in the air

The hover carts of KSAN

Big KLAS rift zone

At least the shadows look right!

Improved DEM most likely. Airports have to be adjusted afterwards.

… so I took my drone to EIAB today and what you have discovered is a pretty interesting … “thing”

If you take your drone you can follow that crack up pretty far … westward … into the woods, over the rivers etc… It feels like that crack is not stopping at all. Sometimes the sides are changing in “who is higher” … but the crack remains.

I think that this discovery justifies it own bug topic. I am not sure if this is “new” … but I have not seen anything like that before.

Since you @DJDonohoe discovered this … do you want to create a new topic for that?

1 Like

The runway tears that were causing crashes in photogrammetry areas seem to have now been resolved for me since SU5. (Not to be confused with some of the DEM issues reported, that are a different problem).

Tiles seem to be loading faster and, as a result, runway terrain (for me) is not showing the discontinuity that it previously was prior to this update and thereby not causing the aircraft crashes I was previously experiencing.

Yes, I would agree. IMHO the original topic of this thread has been resolved.
I think we should move the remaining (new) issues to new dedicated discussions.

The issue I had is resolved and it may have been with the Object LOD that was previously set at less than 1 so the airport wasn’t loading up in time! Now I have it set at 2.5 and no issues, thanks to SU5 and the follow up updates!

In my case, I found that after SU5, my photogrammetry was turned off by the update. Once I reset my settings everything returned to normal