Rx6900xt / Rx6950xt on flight simulator

Hello, I would like to clarify that English is not my native language. sorry if there are any mistakes…

I want to buy an rx6900xt or rx 6950xt to improve my performance on flight simulator in VR.

VR Flight sim guy made a video a few months ago comparing the 3090 and the rx6090.

it shows that with the 6900xt, it had jerks in the external environment despite the framerate being good.

can owners of rx 6900xt or 6950xt give me their experience and if AMD has fixed these faults with drivers?

or are NVIDIA graphics cards much better on flight simulator.

thank you

1 Like

I’ve used both cards. I had a 6900XT (AMD reference card) I could snatch for MSRP. This was about a year ago when GPU prices were crazy. AMD dropped cards frequently for MSRP so I was able to get one, Nvidia cards I just couldn’t get (they were just not available - let alone for a decent price). So that’s how I ended up with my 6900XT. I upgraded from a 3070 that I bought just at the beginning of the “craze” (also for a decent price but above MSRP). The 3070 wasn’t powerful enough for VR. The 6900XT was. It was (is) a very powerful card and it was a very well constructed card as well (I think it was made by Powercolor). However I had frequent CTD’s and the menu screens were wobbly (like having motion reprojection on). During flight the wobbliness was not noticeable however. I tried everything to get it stable but it didn’t work out and it was very frustrating. Again this was some time ago and the simulator was also less stable.

Then I could get hold of a 3090 FE for MSRP (I discovered that Nvidia was dropping cards also - but the FE was not regularly sold in my country). So I sold the 6900XT (for almost the same price). The 3090 didn’t feel that more powerful (maybe a bit, but I didn’t check FPS), but everything was much more stable. I’ve had a few CTD’s during the past year (<10), but before it was almost every long flight (> 1hr). Also the screen wasn’t wobbly any more. I’m sure the raw power of these cards is not much different, so it probably comes down to software optimization. This is were I think Nvidia will have the benefit of the larger customer base. It may not be fair, but it is logical that they (Asobo, but also other programs like the OpenXR toolkit) will focus on Nvidia first.

AMD 6900XT here, got the card in a drop from AMD last year at retail orginal price. nvidia was out of question at that time.
with HP reverb G2. system is very stable. no stutters. culpit of stutters in VR was due to faulty cable which was exchanged from HP under warranty.
my CPU is not the best (i5-8600k) but good enough in ultra settings atm.
AMD supports the xbox hardware so Asobo will develop not only for nvidia.

My experiences have been somewhat different. Before Microsoft Flight Simulator was introduced for the Xbox, I did have problems with an AMD card, a 6800XT in my case. In VR I would get frequent crashes to desktop after only a short flight of 20 minutes or so, plus some other annoying bugs. I never had those issues with my previous generation nVidia card. However, once the Xbox Sim Update happened I have had consistently good results in VR with an AMD GPU. The AMD drivers since then have been fine, although there was one update that causes some issues with my G2 VR headset (I simply reverted to the stable version) which AMD fixed not long after.

Now, with a Ryzen 5800X3D CPU and the same 6800XT GPU, I get really stable performance with very good framerates and exceptional smoothness in VR and a G2 headset. Plus, Sim Update 10 has made DX12 not only usable but even smoother, while many nVidia users are still having trouble with it.

Likely because the game has to work with Xbox, which is an all AMD platform, Asobo makes sure that AMD graphics cards work well with the sim now.

In regards the 6900XT compared to the 6950XT, I’m not sure the extra money for the 6950XT would give a noticeable improvement in performance and may not be worth the extra money. Especially as newer nVidia and AMD cards will be available soon. I personally will be buying either an nVidia 4090 or an AMD 7090 card, once the Microsoft Flight Simulator benchmarks become available.

thank you for your experiences. I will continue to follow the optimization of the game and see what the new graphics cards do.

I will see to which graphics card will give a good quality / price ratio (new or old generation).

Its all in your settings, I have the Power Color rx 6900 xt in my rig I don’t get no CTD’s. The 6900 is power hungry. I auto overclock it and in the timing slider set to 10 then I dialed in the settings in the game with 2 or 3 ultra the rest in high & medium
35/51 FPS average. It works for me.
Give it a try.

Jay

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.