Ryzen 5600X

Interesting, i currently have a Ryzen 5 2600X and i had a AMD RX5600XT.
Then i changed the CGU by a NVIDIA RXT 3070, but now the proc is running at about 70% and sometimes 100%.
By what i read here, the best change i could do is to replace the proc by this 5600X ?

Hello,

Yes I would highly recommend it. I too have an RTX 3070 and now itā€™s fully utilised which is good. The simulator is still not making full use of the hardware which we all know about however at present Iā€™m more than happy with performance. The IPC improvements alone for the Ryzen 5000 chips are probably whatā€™s benefiting MSFS so much, the graphics are nice and it pushes my 3070 to its knees however thereā€™s all the complex physics calcs that are being done which is now more manageable with the better cpu. Iā€™d say go for the 5600x as difference between that and the 5900x is very small considering the massive diff in price!

1 Like

What motherboards do you use with the 5600? Im using AMD GPUs for years now. Currently RX5750XT with a 6800XT on order. Seems to be the right time to for a change from Intel CPU.

Iā€™m using an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max with the updated BIOS

1 Like

I use the GIGABYTE B550 Gaming X V2. My board came with an outdated BIOS and could not recognise the 5600x at first. But a BIOS update is still very easy with the Q-Flash plus button.

Be careful, there is the risk to harm the system performance (around 5%) if you are using 4 ram modules instead of 2, due to a higher load on the Ram Controller. If you have 2x32GB youā€™re fineā€¦ Maybe benchmark 2 against 4 modules if you care bout 5%. Happy NY!

5%? Wow, where did you read that? Actually, itā€™s more like Ryzen can handle 4 modules better as long as you donā€™t set the timings yourself. If you do not adjust the timing yourself, it does not matter whether you have 2 or 4 modules. But even if it were true, I couldnā€™t care less about 5%. The computer is fast, I donā€™t notice any CPU bottleneck, why should I care about benchmark numbers? No, I am very satisfied.

Well, the 5600x has increased my frames by quite a bit, on flat screen at least, compared with my 3600xt. I can get like 70-80 fps with the preset High settings, 3440x1440p, and a lot of clouds (though I havenā€™t tried in a heavily urban area yet). It would be a great thing if I were still really into monitor simming :neutral_face:
However, in VR it is still a horribly stuttery mess, even on low settings, (and Iā€™ve got an RTX 3080) so Iā€™m waiting on updates in MSFS or Nvidia drivers before I really get back in to MSFS. That and the constant terrain spikes all over the place.
Oh well. Back to the combat sims for a while until these two things are fixed.

Iā€™ll let you figuring out whether this applies to your system:

[YT] AMD Ryzen: 4 vs. 2 Sticks of RAM on R5 5600X for Up to 10% Better Performance

Are More RAM Modules Better for Gaming? 4 x 4GB vs. 2 x 8GB (Intel & AMD Dual-Channel Gaming Benchmark)

PS: by the way, it was only an online search awayā€¦

gamer nexus 2 or 4 ram ā€“ Qwant Search

So @PaulieMoss, how is the performance gain in VR with the new CPU? :grin:

Itā€™s great! Can manage 30fps now with settings on high. Iā€™m using 90hz, 1.7 resolution in the oculus home app and about 70% renderscale within the sim. Iā€™ve got my FOV set at 0.7 in the OTT and so far Iā€™m happy! Will only get better with Asobo optimisation and Nvidia driver enhancements.

In flat panel mode, the sim runs fantastic at 1440p no problems whatsoever.

LOL a 3800x or 3900x/xt is not better for gaming than a 5600x. Please donā€™t listen to this person.

3 Likes

I initially wanted a system with an RTX3080 and an i7 10700k, but the company where I ordered advised to take the 5600x instead of the i7. That company has extensive experience with high end systems for universities and research facilities running heavy simulations/rendering. So I highly value their advise. After all Iā€™m extremely happy with that choice. FS2020 runs fluently on my system in VR. The bottleneck is mostly the Quest 1 I own. I canā€™t get it over 36fps with some pretty high settings. Other games are blasting on my system, (e.g. Half Life :Alyx, Cyberpunk 2077) proving that Asobo has some serious work to do here.

In another thread I posted on this forum someone replied that he tried various things with regards to drivers and settings and found out that the results are very inconsistent. Which is what I read in general. Some people get with similar hardware better or worse results and sometimes people with older hardware get better results than people with todayā€™s absolute top end hardware. Even people with exactly the same hardware and settings report different results. So again, Asobo has some serious work to do here. However, I must add to this that smoothness is highly subjective.

By the way, with my Quest 1 in VR both my 5600x and RTX3080 are heavily underutilized.

1 Like

HI Yornav7868. Mainly I chose the Ryzen 5 because in my eyes it is the more advanced processor over the Intel. For the MFS, the 5600x has enough power reserves, as you already wrote. I still have to wait until the RTX3070 is available in reasonable quantities. Probably 2nd half of the year.

VR is unfortunately not for me. I get motion sickness too quickly. I also donā€™t like to deal with motion sickness anymore. When I had trained it away to some extent and had a break from playing for 1-2 weeks, everything started all over again.

I wish you a lot of fun with your new computer.

Thanks, AlexE75. Thatā€™s really sad to hear about your motion sickness. Is there no way for you to train yourself in getting your ā€˜VR legsā€™? I learned that as soon as you start to feel something, you immediately have to stop and take a break to recover. If you go to far and get really sick it takes much longer to get used to it. So maybe there is still hope, if you take small steps.

With regards to supply stocks, itā€™s really ridiculous right now. Hopefully it will take not that long before you and all others finally can get their hands on their new GPU and CPU. I realize that I was extremely lucky.

Thank you for your compassion. I canā€™t train the motion sickness away to the point where I am ā€œcuredā€. It only works for a certain time. Then I have to play this game every day to have my peace. As I said, as soon as I take a break of 2 weeks, itā€™s back and I have to train it away again. I have tried this over and over again for the last 15 years. Train away, play through the game (e.g. shooter), take a break from the game because I donā€™t have time, buy a new shooter, train away, play through, etc. ā€¦

I donā€™t like that at all anymore. Thatā€™s why I only play games now where I donā€™t get motion sickness. But there are worse things. My computer doesnā€™t have to be VR-compatible and I can play flight simulations, racing simulations and strategy games without getting motion sickness. I have come to terms with it and it is not a problem.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.