Ryzen 7 5800x3D undervolt guide

If you own the Ryzen 7 5800x3D then undervolting is almost a must to get the most out of it. Within 5 minutes you can make your CPU clockspeed run a lot faster and the temperatures of the CPU will be in my case -15c lower than default on average. It also greatly reduces the noise from the CPU fan. In FS I also gained 4 fps and the temps are 12c lower.

The difference between a stock voltage 5800x3D and a undervolting CPU is huge. The temps are lower, the clock speeds are higher and it draws less power.

Follow this guide if you’re interested , you’ll be done in 5 minutes. Note: you can change the values to whatever you like but the minimum is -30. I set all cores to -30 and I haven’t had a crash in a month.

Here is the link to the guide, it won’t dissapoint you. My results are incredible.
You’ll only have to follow the guide until step 5, the other steps are optional.

4 Likes

As this is not a bug with MSFS but rather advice, topic moved into #gd-interests:hardware-and-peripherals

I’ve done this, including Step 6 for auto load on boot up, and am very pleased with the reduced temperatures.

Wow! Going to try it out tonight! Curious to see the improvements on my 5800x3D combined with the RTX 4080.

I bought a 5800X3D a month ago and set PBO Curve to -20 in the BIOS. PC been working fine so I’ll try -30.

-30 causes CTD’s after a while on my system. -20 and -25 is more stable.

Try using the per core negative offsets in the BIOS.

I found I had this problem in lightly threaded parts of TimeSpy CPU test.

What I did was find which cores are deemed the fastest by looking at the info given in Ryzen Master. Then set in BIOS all but the best and 2nd fastest core to -30, the 2 suspect cores to -10 on the basis that they were boosting highest in sustained light thread workloads. I’m confused by GUI over-clocking UIs, but it’s supposed to be possible within RM directly.

Since it’s run rock stable with the undervolt.
Hope this helps!

If you don’t want to deal with PBO in Windows, MSI Kombo Strike (enabled on the current BIOS) supposedly lets you set a global undervolt. You have three possible settings: 1, 2, 3.

I presume those numbers correspond to 10%, 20%, 30% undervolts.

I haven’t found any documentation of what Kombo Strike actually does. I set my BIOS to Kombo Strike Level 3, and my 5800X3D is running 4450 MHz boost @ 60°C under typical MSFS loads. 36-40° at idle. I’m using a water block with a 240mm radiator on a custom loop.

The procedure @ElectedOlive574 is probably more elegant. I like the ‘Easy Button.’ :wink:

When you say suspect cores, I take it you mean the two fastest cores and that they are only suspect because they may be causing the crashing at low CPU loads?

Also, I noticed Ryzen Master numbers the cores 1 to 8 whereas PBO2 Tuner numbers them 0 to 7, so I take it that if Ryzen Master says core 2 is the fastest, then that corresponds with setting core 1 (still the second core on the list) on PBO2 Tuner?

In any case, on my system Ryzen Master says cores 2 and 4 are the fastest, so I have set cores 1 and 3 in PBO2 Tuner to -10 and the rest to -30. Is that the correct way to do it?

Ryzen Master

PBO2 Tuner

Your understanding of my info was spot on!
I used the term “suspect” because in my case I reproduced the crashes when rendering on 2 cores with TimeSpy CPU test.
Therefore 1 or both of best cores was failing at -30.
There is software to test undervolt per core and discover the stable values. I didn’t install it as its conditions of use concerned me.
The strange thing is, with the latest (feb 23) AGESA that supports 5800x3D I am seeing the peak frequency on all the cores. So the idea that the peak frequency was unreachable stably too undervolted may be false.
It might be the case that the frequency reporting is not accurate in the monitor I use. But peak boost has always been highly transient. Ryzen Master shows a little lower MHz with its sampling method.

1 Like

-30 is a widely recommended safe undervolt with Zen3, I first used it with a 5600x.
The -10 was because -15 or -20 on those cores didn’t work, the idea is you hone in on your max undervolt.
It’s probably the fastest cores used the most that need the volts, but it’s a good idea to test data integrity with software, not simply rely on CPU lick ups or program and OS crashes.

1 Like

When trying to get the max undervolt, you will get crashes as you push the cpu cores. You can use event viewer to isolate the actual core that caused the crash as the core crash will be logged as a WHEA error.(see below). The Processor APIC ID will be the core that crashed. Each core has 2 APIC ID’s so in the case of APIC ID:2 below, that translates to core 1 on a core scale of 0-7 for the 5800x3D (APIC ID 0 & 1 would be considered core 0).

1 Like

I have been using -30 on all cores for a few months with no issues but in the last two weeks I’ve had some really weird system semi-freezes where the mouse would work, some programs would respond normally, some would only minimise and maximise but others wouldn’t and I was not able to shut down the computer via the start menu, so I had to use the physical power button.

@WingWarper1 I haven’t seen any WHEA logger errors in event viewer either, but it is a good suggestion to check for them in any case.

I am now trying having the two fastest cores on -10 and hopefully this will stop this happening.

If you haven’t seen any WHEA errors logged then I doubt if the root cause of your weird system behavior is due to under volting.

1 Like

Absolutely a Game Changer for 5800x3d owners!!! Only thing is, in “Create the trigger for wakeup”, if you’re not familiar with Task Scheduler, in order to make a New Event Filter you need to setup a new trigger with a type of “On An Event”. That will get you to the correct setup as pictured in the instructions.
Other than that, this saved the day for me using an Aorus X470 Gaming 7 WiFi which has no such options for custom curves. - probably because the 5800x3d is locked against most tweaks.