Saitek Pro Yoke: To keep or repalce with Honeycomb?

For months I have tried every setting, sensitivity adjustment, etc, (including mod) to eliminated the jerky and over sensitivity but am still very unhappy, especially with slow speed handling and am seriously thinking about replacing with Honeycomb Alpha. BUT, I would first like to hear from first hand users of BOTH units regarding realism, sensitivity, etc. Your experience ,comments, opinions and advice will be sincerely appreciated.

The Saitek yoke is a toy compared the the Honeycomb. The pitch control is a lot stiffer than the Saitek, but you get used to it. Make yourself happy this Christmas and get one.

3 Likes

The horrible travel on the elevator axis is the result of the springs in the yoke. Before splurging on a new yoke you might want to try this fix:

I did it and found my yoke much much improved. Took about 15mins to do.

[Edit: just saw you said you have tried ā€˜the modā€™, as I say, worked for me well enough. The Alpha may be a lot better but Iā€™ve never tried, so canā€™t offer a comparison]

I had the Saitek Cessna yoke that can turn 180Ā° (standard only 90Ā°) and thought long and hard about whether the Honeycomb was worth the upgrade.

I ordered one and compared them. Put the Saitek on ebay a few days later. No regrets.
The honeycomb is superior in every way. Build quality, precision, features. If thereā€™s one thing: the Saitek sits a bit lower on the table. I preferred that

1 Like

as said earlier, the Saitek yoke is a plastic toy compared to the honeycomb (price is not the same though, to be fair). I owned both, but I can tell you one thing: the vast superiority of the Honeycomb makes it plain night and day. Although it seems pricey at first, itā€™s actually so good that it manages to in fact be cheap. This kind of quality is often much more pricey in the sim world. The Bravo quadrant, if you want to indulge yourself one day, is a superb deal too. Itā€™s amazing such a great quality can be offered at this price on niche products. Honeycombā€™s products are amazingly fair priced!

For example, although itā€™s a great product in terms of innovation with its pendular motion, the new Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing with its quadrant are simply no match to the Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo in terms of build quality and functionality (minus that great pendular motionā€¦ and functionality especially on the Bravo) although both products are more or less in the same price range.

I did the rubber band mod several months ago. It did improve the travel from a resistance standpoint but the ā€œjerkā€ with the very small pitch movement required (due to such gross sensitivity), particularly at low sped is still there.

Yes, Ive dialed down the curves to try to counter, but I know what you mean. My ancient 3D Pro joystick is still better for precise landings.

I was actually on the brink of buying an Alpha, but decided to hold off after all the SU5 issues - wanted to wait and see if overall stability and performance improved, not least the physics and weather.

I may be back in the market soon as with SU7 beta, the SIM is now working very smoothly for me. Itā€™s interesting to hear how others have rated the Alpha.

The issue with the Saitek is that the mechanism is somewhat sticky (like their pedals). I replaced the main sliding components of my Saitek pedals with bearings. I also raised the pedals off the base by 50 mm. It made a world of difference. Iā€™m currently rebuilding my yoke into a FFB unit. Iā€™m hopeful that the removal of the springs and replacing the sliding parts with bearings will make it better.

That is a great mod idea and Iā€™m sure it will solve the movement problem caused by the ill conceived and sloppy design. Sure hope you will share the mod when complete.

I have the improved cessna version Saitek yoke with 90 degrees movement and i moved to the Honeycomb Alpha.

The difference is night and day. The quality of the Honeycomb is amazing, it feels very sturdy, there is no free play in the neutral zone and there is no squeaking and cracking or looseness at all. Together with the bravo throttle the best purchase i have made for flight simulation in the 25 years i enjoyed the hobby.

And the price is unbelievable to me. If it was double the price i wouldnā€™t hesitate and still buy it.

Thanks very much. Your post is precisely the kind of info I was looking for. Or maybe it just helps me justify my new Xmas gift from myself! LOL