Saitek X45

A thread for us old-school X45 users!

I had a few minutes to play with things last night and I got major flight controls mapped correctly, and a few camera views as well. (The jury is still out on the whole “camera” thing in FS2020, but I do like the fact that I can use the same control in each of the different camera catagories. So I can set my “pov->” assignment in “external” view to “look right”, and set it again in “cockpit” view.)

I haven’t messed with the slider switches yet, but I read in another thread that those are currently a problem.

I also noticed somewhere in the UI that you can set expo/curves…looking forward to figuring those out (maybe I can set them up like in my Taranis X9D+! :joy: :joy:).

Has anybody figured out how to get a “dump” of all keyboard and joystick assignments?

Hello,

I didn’t play with all the possible settings yet, just assigned basic flight controls and camera buttons. I will be assigning other functions as I see necessary in future, but I’m fine using keyboard for most non-essential keys

today i got some new insights into the X45 topic:

previously i used the old saitek drivers…this made the x45 show up in windows and i was able to calibrate it in windows correctly. ingame the axis have been completely off…aka unplayable.

now today i uninstalled the saitek drivers and once i pluged the x45 in, windows installed some generic hid device driver for it. im not able to calibrate it in windows…there is no reaction to any buttonpress or axis movement. BUT…if i start the game most axis work as needed!!! except the throttle which only goes from 0% to 30% and the thumb rotary that goes from 20% to 80%.

i mapped the elevator trim to the thumb rotary since the range is still usefull…and i use the rear rotary for throttle which is weird but at least i can play the sim. everything else simply works great! i use quite a bit of deadzone and ease down on the sensitivity for elevator and roll. id say it completely playable that way (not being able to use the real throttle still sucks,…but maybe some day we get proper ingame calibration)

This morning I did the same thing…unplugged the controller, then plugged it back in chose customize and for some reason it let me asign all my axis. Although throttle will not go above 50%.

I was able to calibrate the X45 through my old FSX installation. So far, the stick works fine. I ordered the new A320 set. Due in Nov. The X45 is over 20 years old.

2 Likes

I haven’t used my X45 in 15 years, at least since FS2004. How did you map the flight controls? I can’t get mine to work on FS2020. Windows 11 says it is working properly.

BTW, I also have a Taranis Plus, and it responds much better than the X45. Unfortunately not well enough to be flyable the way I set it up.

Why doesn’t MS2020 have a calibration menu, or is that what Sensitivity is supposed to do?

1 Like

OK, working now. Calibrated through Windows, then mapped basic controls in FS. Neutral option in Sensitivity only works in one axis, so had to increase dead zone as work around.

1 Like