Save A/C and Position

Hi all together,
just flying around since 2 days and i fell like decades ago as i spend a lot of time flying at my PC. Really funny.

Anyhow, i stuck with the saving and loading function.

I taxi to an apron position and shut off the a/c. Then i save this.

When I load that saved file again, the a/c and the position is fine but my a/c is runing again. Engine on, flaps 5 and so on. I don’t want it that way. I will start at the apron with switching on everything by myself and then adding my flightplan in the FMS and so on.

Any hints how to do it?

Thanks a lot
Frank

2 Likes

I was in the same situation. I saved a flight in cold and dark and after loading, the engine was running again. I guess the panel / aircraft state isn’t saved correctly…

I just had a look at the FLT file that the sim generates. Everything seems to be saved correctly (e.g. the avionics switch is off). But when I load the flight, the switch is on. Seems to be a problem with loading rather than saving.

I found the solution:
In the FLT file, there’s a section that looks like this:

[FreeFlight]
FirstFlightState=LANDING_TAXI

Changing LANDING_TAXI to PREFLIGHT_PUSHBACK will load the aircraft with the engines off. Even the switches seem to be in the position I saved them in, so it’s not just the default cold and dark state.

I guess the problem is how states are updated internally. Maybe states just don’t go back to PREFLIGHT_PUSHBACK once you started the engine or something like that. I’ll file a bug report.
Thanks for giving me the motivation to look into that.

6 Likes

Wow, good investigation there Spindly!!! I assume you have to edit this file all the time to keep it working?

1 Like

Well, thanks for your quick and dirty help. I didn’t try to look at that file yet. Just to impressed while flying to FLL. :star_struck:
Thanks for opening a bug report. I will change that entry and wait for an update. :grimacing:
Lg
Frank

I’m assuming it has something to do with the custom parking position. Sometimes (I haven’t figured out when exactly) the logbook shows up after completing a flight and shutting the engine(s) off at a parking spot. I think in those cases, the state might be set correctly (have to reproduce that first).

In my case, I was parking at a position that the sim didn’t recoginze as parking spot. So, I’d say as long as this flight summary thing doesn’t show up, you have to set it yourself.

I’ll investigate further and keep you updated.

1 Like

It may help to use the taxi ribbon to know exactly where to park at the airport. Or look for the ground crew…

Sometimes the pre-defined parking positions are really weird. In my case, I knew this was a parking position in real life, the sim just didn’t model it as such.
Plus there are airports without any parking positions. If you want to start realistically in cold and dark without sitting on the runway, you have to go to an undefined spot…

The ground crew will definitely help triggering the flight summary though :wink:

Update: Triggering the flight summary sets the state to FLIGHT_RUNWAY which leads to the aircraft being loaded with the engines running. So I think there is no way to save and load a flight in cold and dark right now… At least I can’t think of any other workaround.

I’ll go file the bug report now.

2 Likes

I just tried my solution with 2 other planes:

• DV20: No effect. Engines still running (There seem to be some config files missing though for that plane…)
  • DA40 NG: CTD :frowning:

Did it work for you? If yes, with which plane?

Now the DV20 flight is working again… I’d still be happy to hear your experiences though

Can you not just got to an airport and free flight or does everthing have to be done in a flight plan mode. For instance I enjoy flying the float plan to differnt lakes and shutting down and saving but when I reload the aircraft is running in a flight state.

Thank you for this thread! I’ll try tweaking the .FLT file. Please let us know if you learn anything else about this!

I’m having an additional issue with loading flights. The UI is missing. I can’t get any windows to open. No checklists, ATC, or anything. Have any of you encountered that issue by chance?

I experienced that as well. The toolbar just doesn’t appear. I’m not sure how to reproduce it reliably, though. Some flights work, others don’t.
Because of that, I didn’t file a bug report yet, but I guess I will do that today.

Strange thing. I saved a Cessna Caravan at Landshut Airfield cold and dark and it wasn’t working. Today I tried the scenario again and my A/C was cold and dark… Nothing change in the flt file. :astonished: :astonished: On the other hand I saved a Cirrus at an Airfield near to Mt. Everest and i had terrible live Weather during my flight. I saved it cold and dark. 10 min. later I loaded this scenario again. My Aircraft was running AND live weather was gone because there was CAVOK. I don’t think that’s weathersituation went from „zero zero“ visibility to CAVOK in 10 minutes. :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve now solved it differently for myself.

When starting in a parking position, the machine is “cold and dark”
So create my desired save status (e.g. Innsbruck) here.
Then start the machine and repark as desired.
Save this in turn (e.g. under MySpot)
Then replace the entire [SimVars.0] of the Innsbruck.flt file with the [SimVars.0] from the MySpot.flt file.

Example Innsbruck GA area on green strips:

[SimVars.0]
Latitude = N48 ° 30 '48.62 "
Longitude = E12 ° 2 '15.68 "
Altitude = + 001316.64
Pitch = -12.09892794009524053
Bank = 0.29016309051582100942
Heading = 139.3879453397143493
PVelBodyAxis = 0
BVelBodyAxis = 0
HVelBodyAxis = 0
XVelBodyAxis = 0
YVelBodyAxis = 0
ZVelBodyAxis = 0
SimOnGround = True
OnPlatformHeight = -9999999999

So you then have a “cold and dark” storage point in your favorite parking space.

So you’re not touching FirstFlightState and the plane loads up in cold and dark?

Another frustrating thing about how these save files work. It doesn’t start up using Real World Time. It starts at the time of the save. Know of anyway around that?

That’s correct. I didn’t changed the FLT file.