Save / Load a Flight (including Flight Plan) - MSFS Flight Planner functionality

The following problem seems to exist.

I am planning a flight on the world map and starting it.
The flight plan is loaded in the Navi of the plane and I fly off.

Now I save the current flight, in the middle of the flight with ESC → save/load.
One day later I want to continue flying at this point.
I start the sim, go to the worldmap, press save/load and load the flight.
I am at the right place in the flight and everything seems to be ok, only the Navi hasn’t loaded a flight plan anymore. No flight plan is loaded in the Navi.

If I enter the same flight plan on the worldmap like in the save and then load it with the “save/load” function, then the navi has loaded the flight plan correctly.

It seems that when you load a save from the world map, it takes over the flight plan entered in the world map into the navi. If there is no flight plan planned, then the navigation system has none, although one was entered when the flight was saved.

Greetings

1 Like

this is really bugging me to. Can’t find a way to make it work. Images show a loaded midflight with the plan and a custom marker where I am located. Then in the game the waypoints are in the navlog, but not loaded into the gps (on the right). Maybe a bug to be reported.

I can’t think of a way to get this to work.

may have a hack that works.

1. When I’ve set up my plan, I save
  2. When I mid flight save I do it at a waypoint
  3. When I restart, I load the original save, which puts me at the original airport
  4. I then use Travel To the waypoint at 2 above.

Just tried once and it puts me at the correct altitude and the plan is loaded and I’m on the correct course.

3 Likes

I just discovered this problem and it’s really frustrating!

I’m a total newbie and have never played a flight sim in my life… I’ve totally immersed myself in the game the last few days and now I’ve come to this bug which is a big pain. I’ve been trying to practice my ILS landings with the Aerobus and saved multiple spots to test these approaches/landings.

One of them I loaded that was saved during final approach and when I loaded it (it was a night originally) I load back into the cockpit and everything is different… the cockpit dome lights are on, I have to adjust the controls, the speed is off and the elevation…everything is wrong… when I tried to correct it I just went into a barrel roll at 250 kts when before I saved it I was flying steady at 145-50 kts.

At that time I didn’t realize the whole flight plan was missing and all the navigational data until I tried again loading from an earlier part in the approach.

How am I supposed to practice these kinds of things when I can’t even save a ■■■■ file with flight plan data stored in it?

Ridiculous.

6 Likes

I have also ran into this issue. Everything physical (speed, alt, etc) loads up correctly, but the MCDU has zeroized itself and no longer has any flight plan or information input into it.

2 Likes

but then I’ve found sometimes it does! no pattern I can find for it to be ok once in a while. grrrr

Similar issue but worse in the 787. I have a Manchester-Toronto flight which I saved as .flt, loaded it back up now. Aircraft position correct in terms of height and position but speed is way off. Also the autopilot settings are all off, altitude shows 10,000ft, speed is around 50knots less than what I had it at last.

Both the flight computer and air traffic control also have no awareness of the flight either. The way points are in the flight computer are present but the plane doesn’t follow.

It sounds like the ATC/FMC state is not being saved and/or loaded correctly, I’ll need to check the contents of the .flt file.

i have reported a ticket

4 Likes

Some flights simply cannot be completed in one go - doorbell rings, kid cries, the dog needs a walk - whatever. When returning to a “saved” flight (meaning: the one running when the game was exited), it would be good if the plane, nav info, AP, fuel, time, weather, weight, etc. could be retained/suspended to the same state when the save is loaded. As it stands now, everything is “reset” - the only thing that appears to be retained is the last position of the plane. There would be limits to what could be kept “in suspension” (weather, time of day, etc.), but the aircraft itself should be kept in the same state it was saved as.

Add-on 12/23/222

I’ve been contacted by user @TristeCiel to add their votes to this list. I’m not sure how that works exactly, but we have similar posts that seem to be splitting the vote somewhat.

Moderators: I think these topics are reasonably close where they could be combined.

Here is the original post from @TristeCiel

Tl;Dr : Have a full save and load feature.

(For de moderator, can you please not merge with other threads if possible, the save and load feature is often confuse with the flight plan, the toolbar, etc.)

MSFS 2020 is wonderful. It’s really a dream for many of us to have a sim that look so good and that is doing is best to reproduce the experience of flying. I was so pleasantly surprised and excited when I learned that Microsoft was going to do it again.

I feel I should talk about one of my main issues with the sim : the inability to save and load anywhere in the world. That would also include the fuel & weight state and having access to the full option in the toolbar (ability to set time and live weather).

For now, when we save we lose the ability to access the toolbar and modify the time and the weather (either live or other). Some user report different combination of this issue, but most agree that this is somewhat kind of disappointing.

I really think that simulation is synonymous of recreating real life, meaning to go into details while caring about immersion and sounds. Following the same mindset, the fact that we cannot fly and land to then continue where we have is an important missing feature for many of us.

Starting back to where I left my plane, cold dark in the same state I left it, was really what I enjoyed in FSX (although with planes that supported that). I was really disappointed that I could not do that anymore. After hours of reading the forums and trying to find a solution, I hoped that after each update that will be fixed.

Now, we have more and more planes that have the option to start cold and dark, that have persistent state (switches, buttons, fuel, carry weight, etc.) Some new bush planes also have camping equipments (Freedom Fox, Wilga). How cool would it be to fly to anywhere then land, place our camping stuff, save and quit the sim to come back just where we left! That’s a virtual bush flying dream!

I think we are at a good place like never and after your continuous effort to address big bugs, improve performances and add more contents, maybe you could look at polishing the save option.

It’s all about the sense of freedom. The ability to feel like a real pilot and go land everywhere, either on a Jet or in a bush plane, then continue where we left to pursue our adventures.

Please Asobo, could it be possible to look at this?

Thank you so much, be safe.

Sorry for my Frenchglish.

paul

TBH, I think this save/load issue would be very nice to have, and think it was wise for the devs to rightly focus on areas that improved the stability and performance of the sim in the months post-launch.

3 Likes

Yes this is really frustrating, saved the flight before landing in anticipation that it might go wrong (because it often does) and when I tried to load the save, I was on a different place and without a plan, literally :\

I’m having similar problems when I load a game or use travel to. I could be pointed in a different direction, flight plan wiped out, atc will often have me at really high altitudes right before landing. So really need this fixed because I love long routes.

4 Likes

Yeah same here, most of the time if I reload a save it will wipe all the navigation data and my plane will be at the correct position but nothing else. Its a shame as im still learning I mess things up and need to reload.

I think I’ve had a couple of times that its worked at random but mostly not and its always a lost flight. Its a shame as im getting really into this flight sim more than I did for xplane but this is game breaking for me, hope they sort it.

Totally agree, this is a major flaw.

1 Like

On a related note, for “bush hopping” (or “lake hopping”) trips, it would be nice to be able to land at a random location, save the flight, and then to later resume it from that location - but with the current real time and weather. At the moment you can save and resume a landed aircraft, but it picks up from the moment you saved it.

Oddly, the saved FLT file seems to hold all the relevant information, but so far my attempts to alter the data have been largely ineffective :frowning:

4 Likes

Adding an option to retain current live time/weather on load/save would be a very nice addition.

1 Like

Hi,

There is a problem with flight plans and UTF-8 Language support.
Try setting your region to ENG US and rebooting.

Hello, where can I change the region in Windows 10?
If I do this, is everything in my Windows in English, after the change?

Thanks!

The Problem described in this thread " Problem with Flight Plan Bug and Autopilot" with the UTF-8 encoding, which is encoded with “UTF-8-BOM”, is not the case in my flight save file. There are all characters well formed. I didnt have ticket the “Beta: Unicode…” Flag as they write in the obove thread.

When i open a Flightplan File (PLN) in notepad++, the encoding is UTF-8-BOM.
→ change encoding to UTF-8, is still correct
→ i can open the flightplan in the worldmap and it is correctly loaded in the aircraft.
→ Flightplan File seems to work

When i open a Flight File (FLT) in notepad++, the encoding is ANSI
→ When i change the encoding in notepad++ to UTF-8 or UTF-8-BOM then the degree character (°) is broken in the file.
→ That could be the problem…

I have to test this.

I change the following, hope this is the right place (German):
Windows10: System-settings → Region → Tab “Management” → Language for unicode incompatible programs → English (US)

Hope i can test that in the evening

Hello,

There appears to be an issue with saving and loading flight plans.

I created a flight plan with the very latest version (v4) of Plan-G and exported it - as recommended by Tim Arnot himself - as .pln under FSX / P3D.

After launching MSFS, I click on “Save / load” then, in the window that opens, on the .pln file that I want to load. And there, nothing happens: the flight plan does not appear on the map: impossible to perform this flight.

Would MSFS by any chance recognize - for now - only the own flight plans created on its map (which, by the way, is really not the simulator’s strong suit)?

Regards.