Scenery animations with Blender

Is it possible to create animated objects for scenery within blender?

I have tried animated a simple flag but not only it dosent work but crashes the simulator all together

any idea what could I do to get it working?

Much appreciated
Cheers

Try following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIqc8liASC

That should work.

Remember to add the animation to the object’s XML file. The animation itself needs a separate guid:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
	<ModelInfo guid="{1b970409-8112-49b7-875b-265b1bcf05eb}" version="1.1">
		<Animation guid="eacd42e8-e61b-409b-8b64-6b2bcf6167b7" name="Light" type="Standard" typeParam="Autoplay"/>
	</ModelInfo>

I recommend this video :slight_smile:

It’s a great video, helped me to make the rotating light, however can’t figure out to make a flag with animation. Don’t have to be in the wind, just with animation so it looks like

Thanks

Been trying the same video and I can’t seem to get it working with the latest version of the SDK and MSFS. I’m looking at animating the emission strength of a material on an object to set up a particular flash pattern. Can’t seem to get it to work so I tried the transforms instead and I can’t seem to get that working either. I’m pretty sure I’ve sorted through my mistakes. Does anyone have this working with the current releases of everything used in the video?
Thanks,
Andy

I have the animations working ok now. Not sure what happened but I had to build the model from scratch and it all worked this time around.
Still no joy on animating lights or emission strength. I’ve got both of these working in blender, but it doesn’t seem to happen when exporting to MSFS. I’m guessing that’s not supported.

Have you got the NLA tracks for your emission pushed down? Also is that animation mentioned in the XML?

Do you mind sharing the steps you did for the flag to work? I did all the steps from the tutorial video , modified the. Xml file … nothing works. I can only make the flag to rotate…

Take a look at the above link. You need to leave the bones connected to the cloth to record the animations but you then need to detach the cloth to play them afterwards. It’s fiddly and a lot of work to get a good quality animation but it’s a way to get different animations for various wind strengths

3 Likes

Did anyone was sucessful with creating such a flag and could share the steps or even the model?
Are we really using this workflow in this video (as it is also belnder 2.79, I’m using 2.92 now)?