Scottish Highland Magic (with .PLN link)

After hearing the UK world update 3 included higher resolution DEM for the country, I was keen to check out the terrain around out the Scottish Highlands- and it certainly did not disappoint!

I initially took off from North Connel (EGEO) with the intention of visiting Ben Nevis, but discovered lots more interesting and beautiful scenery along the way. After landing I recreated the loop I had flown in Little Nav Map and uploaded the .PLN file to worldtour.flights for anyone else wanting to experience the incredible views with the aid of a GPS flight plan!

15 Likes

great shots :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers @TARAVOCHRIS!

I would agree, as a resident of Scotland (close to EGPD) I’m pretty happy with what we have in MSFS.

2 Likes

Cheers @Lochboisdale, are there any other particularly scenic local areas that you can recommend for me to check out? I love discovering the new places in the sim :slight_smile:

The high res DEM makes such a difference for me as a VFR explorer- can only hope my home country of New Zealand gets the same treatment in the future. We’ve got awesome mountainous terrain here but it’s far too rounded with the low res mesh that is displayed by default!

1 Like

You might start out in Kirkwall, check out Westray and Papa Westray (in the featured flight), pop over to Wick then low level along the North Coast and over to Stornaway. From Stornaway then to Benbecula and Barra, maybe stopping at Tiree and Coll on the way back to North Connell or even stopping in at Glenforsa (Mull).

Enjoy the exploration.

1 Like

Totally agree, and if we could get an accurate custom EGPD I would be sorted for life!

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks! Will make this my next adventure!

Click ‘I want this to’ on the flightsim.to Scenery Request if you havn’t already!

1 Like

I must give this a try, I hadn’t realised that you can download someone else’s flight plan. The scenery looks amazing.

1 Like

I have just flown this trip, it’s brilliant, thanks. I will look forward to some more of your flights :blush:

2 Likes

You could extend this by heading up to Broadford on the Isle of Skye (XBRO) and then close by to Plockton too.

I never get tired of VFR around Scotland, this scenery and the weather system together give you out of the box (and more) what I had to run a bunch of payware add-ons before to even come close.

1 Like

Beautiful shots! Thank for sharing. Scotland is such an amazing place in MSFS, these highland shots really do show it off. Being from Scotland myself, I am glad to see these!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it @MGT086027 :+1:

I’ve actually planned a tour that goes from Lands End right up to Out Skerries that PC Pilot are interested in publishing as a multi part tour. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Can’t wait to check out the land of my ancestors, thanks!
Beautiful pics!

2 Likes

Take a trip from Edinburgh, from the bridges,following the Firth of Forth north west to Stirling.Take a buzz around the Wallace monument then over to Stirling castle,heading south east to Falkirk and the Kelpie’s.Finally to Edinburgh/castle/Scottish Parliament and Arthur’s Seat…with trees?

1 Like

I spent most of yesterday flying around the highlands then up to the Skerries, its so beautiful and well modeled (obviously I didn’t use live weather) I had tried a live weather flight earlier in the day closer to home (Wales) and soon worked out that VFR wasn’t going to be much fun with a 500ft cloud base and 40 knt crosswinds.

full tank of fuel in the 152 and 4.5 hours later, it was great, also used Bushtalk radio in the background, some of the best hours i have spent in a flight sim ever (and I’ve been sim flying since the late 1980’s)

4 Likes

Awesome, will add this to my to-fly list! Loving the local recommendations!

I’ve never heard of Bushtalk radio- but just looked it up and it sounds brilliant. Will get this playing whilst I’m checking out the rest of the Highlands. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

To add some other suggestions, for some smaller strips in North East Scotland, you could:

Start at: Longside (near Peterhead)
Over to Whiterashes (EGQE in MSFS)
Then to Insch Garioch
Aboyne Gliding Club
Feshiebridge

From Feshiebridge you could head down to Perth (EGPT) or venture up to the Moray Firth coast, lots to explore!

I’m not on a PC with MSFS at the moment to give how they are represented in MSFS, I know they are there though.

1 Like

Just replying so I keep this on my profile. TY :slight_smile: Great looking stuff, cant wait to knock off work and take the trip.

1 Like

Brilliant, look forward to trying this too. The top end of Scotland really reminds me of Iceland, rather barren in terms of its lack of vegetation but extremely beautiful with its rugged landscapes, lakes and coastline. Flying around the area in the sim had to be the next best thing to being there!

1 Like