SDK Crash on build

No issues until this morning -

I tried using this scenery, and installed as instructed.

When trying to build, MSFS locks up for a few seconds, then quits.

I think I’m up to date with the SDK.

Anything else to try, other than removing the scenery from the community folder?

thanks

What scenery are you trying to use/build/install?

Maybe it’s the language barrier but can’t understand what you are doing

1 Like

Oops! Sorry, I forgot to link it. Linked above, but here, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still, we don’t understand what you’re doing.

You can’t just build that as scenery. Those are items you would put in your scenery as objects.

By not making a library of the items, it means, if people just use the models outright, that lots of people would be making the same items. There could also be issues if people use the same GUID numbers for their items but modify them. It really would have been better if he created a library of the base models, then let people use the Blender models and modify them to make new hangars.

Scenery design is fraught with issues with people not understanding the power of and issues with the VFS system, when things should have unique names and paths and when they don’t. To be safe, it’s best to make sure everything is on its own path.

You could be having issues if you have multiple sceneries using this geometry and putting it in say Scenery\World\Modellib.bgl… Gosh I hate that so many people do this still 3 years later. I have to check every single scenery I download to make sure issues like this don’t exist in them.

I’m able to place the scenery without any issues.

I’m able to create scenery with other assets.

When trying to build using one of the assets from the set I’ve linked above, the editor hangs for a few second then crashes.

I’m sorry, but you’re not defining what your terms mean. For instance in the scenery editor, objects are listed in the “Scenery” subsection of the Objects menu.

You’re able to place what “scenery”? Do you mean you’re able to create a scenery package? Or do you mean you’re able to place objects? What type of objects? Library Objects? Objects you’ve created?

By create scenery with other assets do you mean you’re able to place other Objects from libraries?

Or do you mean you’re creating objects from blender assets, creating a library in your scenery project package and placing those objects in your scenery package? And then when you try to do the same thing with these blender assets, the Scenery Editor is crashing?

I’m just trying to get to a base understanding of exactly what you’re doing.

Have you tried opening the Blender models in Blender to see if they’re ok?
Have you tried opening the Blender models, recompiling them for MSFS and bringing those into your project instead of his asset definitions?
If you’ve compiled other Blender models into scenery objects, have you compared the definitions of the two items to look for errors?

Are you compiling all this into a modellib.bgl file, instead of naming the asset library something unique? Have you changed the GUID’s of the assets you’re building?

I have absolutely no way of helping you without a lot more detail on exactly what you’re doing. If you’re getting a crash, it’s highly likely that you’ve got a conflicting GUID in your system because of doing either or both of the two things above. But maybe you already know this and have handled those issues already and we have to look for something else.

I haven’t tried building these particular models yet, so I’m starting from ground zero and just starting at the basics and trying to understand what you mean with your terms.

Thanks - appreciate the help! - answers below

You’re able to place what “scenery”? Do you mean you’re able to create a scenery package? Or do you mean you’re able to place objects? What type of objects? Library Objects? Objects you’ve created?

I’m able to place both objects included with the sim as well as some I’ve added from flightsim.to.
Object types are some hangars and people. I haven’t tried creating/adding anything of my own yet.

By create scenery with other assets do you mean you’re able to place other Objects from libraries?
Yes.

Or do you mean you’re creating objects from blender assets, creating a library in your scenery project package and placing those objects in your scenery package? And then when you try to do the same thing with these blender assets, the Scenery Editor is crashing?
No.

Have you tried opening the Blender models in Blender to see if they’re ok?
Have you tried opening the Blender models, recompiling them for MSFS and bringing those into your project instead of his asset definitions?
If you’ve compiled other Blender models into scenery objects, have you compared the definitions of the two items to look for errors?
Just trying to add the scenery files - I haven’t touched the Blender files, though.

Are you compiling all this into a modellib.bgl file, instead of naming the asset library something unique? Have you changed the GUID’s of the assets you’re building?
Just adding scenery in the SDK, building it, and moving the resulting folder containing the files created (ContentInfo folder, scenery folder, layout.json, and manifest.json) into my community folder.

So, this isn’t a library, you can’t just place them directly like objects from a library. He’s essentially giving you the source code to create objects, so the process is different in compiling these into your project.

Hopefully he included instructions in how to use the models, otherwise you’re going to have to search through the SDK to use these hangars and figure out how to compile objects from the asset information he gave you. It’s been a long time since I’ve done it, so I can’t remember the steps myself, (not to mention I’m at work and not in front of MSFS). It’s not all that hard, it’s just a different process.

As I noted above, make sure you make a new GUID for each object you create, and don’t name your library modellib.bgl, name it something like icaoairportname_modellib.bgl.

Sorry, I’m not following… Maybe you can take a look at the author’s files.

There are completed objects (I’m assuming that’s what they are) which appear properly in my assets (after installing per instructions), and that I can place directly into my scenery.

They seem to behave no different than any other scenery I’ve places, and work properly in terms of movement, rotation, etc.

In other words, I don’t need to compile or otherwise process the models before they are used.

One thing to note I’ve realized when looking back at this - the instructions say, from within the Editor, to open the XML before opening the scene. I don’t know how to do this, and couldn’t find any instructions for it.

You have to compile a library of the objects to include in your scenery.

You can’t just select them, there’s some other work that needs to be done to create a library of the objects. I’ve done it before, but it was a while ago and I don’t remember the steps.

Please remember my hints or you’ll be creating a CTD of a scenery.

Read his directions carefully. The GUID I’m talking about is in the xml file.

Hi, sorry for delay
I have tried to compile the models provided in that files and no issue/crash whatsoever
There is not need to update the guid too (although it is advice to change it cause with so widespread files)
Did you solve?

1 Like

Thanks - I may have it now… will report back…

cheers

Nope…

Crashing on building the package. If I skip it, I’m able to create scenery, not including the Open Hangars.