SDK Q&A: Scenery Editor Questions

Please ask:

Why are “projected mesh” textures so low resolution? Objects added as a normal scenery object are at full resolution, but resolution is at least half when added as a “projected mesh”.

Pretty please, with cupcake on the side. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will there be better SDK support for animations made available to 3rd party developers to help make airports and the world more alive with people and passenger animations, more diverse animal animations etc.?

3 Likes

It would be great if we could get a better tool to place fences. Currently you can place fences as single sim objects which makes it very tedious if you want to create large area of fences for example the perimeter fencing around a larger airport.

4 Likes

The ability to add customized lighting via light rows and light presets is a wonderful thing. The big drawback now is that it’s limited to the confines of an airport.

Do you have plans to give us the ability to use these outside an airport area? This would solve the problem of our inability to create obstruction/hazard lights for TV towers, buildings, bridges, etc. that can be seen further than a couple hundred feet.

3 Likes

When we’re improving an included airport, it would be nice to be able to choose existing airport features to keep and improve on, versus having to restart from scratch. Any chance of this?

4 Likes

A tool is needed to make the tunnel. Currently, the SDK cannot realize the creation of tunnels. Currently, there are bugs in making tunnels, which cannot be presented perfectly.

2 Likes

How to create transparent water/ocean polygon? I’m creating a water mask for a tropical region, and the sat imagery is already inside the sim. But if I exclude ocean, there will be no water inside the polygon. Then if water polygon is added, imagery is covered by water texture. So how Asobo did all the manual water mask? I believe it is done via CGL, not BGL and shape files, the one that is editable via in-game SDK. If Asobo can do it then absolutely community devs can help to do the same :slight_smile:

Why the aircraft model will first read the default ILS frequency instead of the ILS frequency I set?
In China, if I do not use Navigraph data but use the default navigation data, the ILS of many airports will be offset. Therefore, I built a new airport myself and created a new ILS in the correct location. However, the airplane model reads the default ILS instead of the correct ILS I set. Unless I set the wrong frequency ILS and input the wrong ILS on the airplane model, the model will intercept the ILS I set.

3 Likes

We still heavily Need a tool to control snow accumulation
Somethig like a special apron with a greyscale texture. The color of the special apron must not be visible, but the snow shader should “subtract” that from the snow layer (i’m not a shader guy but think should be Easy)

Another thing about the snow layer, with 60 or more degrees slope snow Is unlikely to attach (vertical rocks, crags etc)

Also, with the current snow shader, roads appear to have snow on them while the surroundig doesn’t (when melting Is going on) should be reverse!

1 Like

You have to delete the different object type explicitly using the deletion tag but you don’t have to. Single objects like a specific taxiway can not be deleted but if you lke just to add objects, even single objects is working. So pls try to be more specific what exactly you like to change or substitute.

What kind of tag are you using? The internal runway or in internal airport version of the tag. The internal needs the primary/secondary information, the external doesn’t. Only the runway included version of the tag presently works (as far as I tested it).

Would be great if Scenery Editor could include lights at night that are reflective lights only (passive). It exists in small airports for the taxiway edges.

Such as the one shown in this picture

Would be great if Scenery Editor could include objects that are on grass runways and taxiways: white cones and yellow cones and also runway threshold markings

In general, I wish the sims include more objects to add variety, and allow for customization depending on the location (e.g. airport object would be different in the US than in Europe for instance)

Scenery Editor should allow for more customization of the size of the building and hangar. Right now scale affects all direction at the same time (length, width, height). So existing object usually don’t match the exact dimensions of the real building on the airport.

Another way to do so would be to create objects using facades (similarly as some other existing sim software not to be named): the users define the points that are the angles of the building, defines the height of it, choose a proposed texture and the sims draw this building. Would be very convenient for adding hangar or terminals that are exactly the shape as the real one without creating it in 3D plus texturing it.

There is not much point in continuing to ask questions about the scenery editor in this thread, the SDK Q&A took place about three hours ago. There will likely be another one next quarter, but probably about a different subject.

It is recommended that from now on, you direct questions to the official Q&A platform. The SDK team said that they read it all the time and they really need the community’s valuable feedback!

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/index.html

One-way taxiways should be included as well, as it exists in real life.

There should be rules in the Scenery Editor to help ATC decide on the active runway, depending on the type of aircraft, wind direction/speed… For instance, Beech aircraft would not take-off from grass runway even if it is longer than the asphalt one (if the asphalt one is long enough for the aircraft)

Runway names should not be limited to L, C, R. There should be like runway 08 and runway 08 grass (in case of parallel runways, one asphalt the other grass).

Taxiway point defined as Holding point should not draw yellow lines in case the taxiway is grass.

There should be an option to optionally command runway, taxiway and PAPIs by the pilot via radio / ATC menu (Pilot Controlled lighting or PCL). Okay that last one is not only Scenery Editor but also Sim / ATC upgrade.

Lots of small ideas that would be appreciated if implemented. Wish you the best.

Thanks for that. I wish they had more advertised on this Q&A that I missed, I could not find the date.
I will copy my questions/suggestion to that website you are mentioning.

1 Like

You are right, the final date and time were not communicated very well on this thread. I think it was only mentioned in a recent Development Update. Sorry you missed out, hopefully you’ll get some answers on the new Q&A platform.

It might be worth mentioning that during the stream, they said that they are indeed reading all the questions posted in there, but they are so many that it’s taking time to fully process them, so when it comes to an answer there might a delay.

If you’d like to check out today’s stream, you can watch the VOD in here or wait for Jayne’s summary:

1 Like

What is “Tag”, I don’t understand what you said, how can I check my “tag” in developer mode?

I was talking about the XML tag that’s between the to symbols “<” and “>”
Opening tag for the ILS information is <ILS>
and the closing tag is </ILS>
I hope I made it clear now what I’m talking about