Seeking advice on VR headset purchase

I’m also trying to figure this out, it is difficult to try to compare the description of other people’s experiences and particularly when using different hardware and settings. But as deciding to go for a full spec VR setup will probably cost £3.5k I’m trying to do all the research I can! I am particularly considering the Quest 2 and Reverb G2, as the Index is expensive and hard to get in the UK, and the Rift S has much lower resolution (although apparently this means the performance is very good, so is a good option if you have a lower spec PC and are happy with the lower resolution)

It would be great if anyone who has tried both headsets could comment if the below summary is correct? I have only tried the Q2 in standalone mode (not flight sim) and have never tried the G2

Comfort
Consensus Reverb G2 is best

Built in audio

Colour quality

Field of view size
Consensus Quest 2 is best

Clarity/resolution in "sweet spot"

Here’s where it starts to get more tricky:

Size of “sweet spot” and clarity outside of "sweet spot"

G2- CptLucky reports the G2 sweet spot size as around the size of the attitude gauge in the C172 at normal seated position. The immediately surrounding gauges are becoming blurry on the near side and quite blurry on the far side. The RPM gauge which is further away is too blurry to read at a glance.
Please read his excellent post for additional further comparison with the Index.
Reverb G2 Sweet Spot Discovery - #41 by CptLucky8
Reverb G2 Sweet Spot Discovery - #54 by CptLucky8

Q2 - TonyTazer reports a large sweet spot, with reference to the image below:

• green dot: absolutely clear
  • amber dot: still readable, but focusing/reading feels exhausting, tempted to lean in
  • red dot: not readable

He believes the “sweet spot” of the Q2 covers around 50% of the field of view, something I also found when trying the Q2 in standalone mode.

See his excellent post for further details:
TnT Quest 2 Settings - Sharp and SMOOOOTH! - #61 by TonyTazer1504

So from the above two posts it seems that it is not possible to read a standard 6 pack of instruments or PFD in the G2 without moving your head to move the sweet spot, whereas it is readable in the Q2 due to the larger sweet spot. However, there is suggestion on the above thread that the G2 sweet spot size varies depending on system settings, and I also note that VR Flight Sim Guy commented on one of his videos that he could read “everything” in the G2, albeit without the detailed descriptions provided by CptLucky. To me it sounds like the Q2 would be preferable - lower quality in the sweet spot, but the sweet spot is still clear enough to read instruments and importantly big enough to read multiple instruments.

Performance
I understand that the Q2 connects via a USB cable or via wireless “virtual desktop” and which means there is an additional encoding step to do, which comes with a slight performance hit. However I have also heard that the Q2 may be smoother than the G2 at lower frame rates due to better reprojection, and therefore allows higher graphics settings or lower PC spec. I am not sure about this though - would be great if anyone can shed further light !

Other things to note
Quest 2 allows you to play built in games without connecting to PC, in “standalone mode”
Quest 2 is significantly cheaper at £300 vs £600
Quest 2 can connect wirelessly as mentioned above
I think I read Quest 2 controllers are better, but these aren’t implemented in flight sim yet so doesnt really impact

4 Likes