Selecting airport from world map displays (dashed) blank wind speed

In the white box that pops up in the center of the screen, notice wind direction is a dash - and wind speed is a dash -

This seems like a bug to me but I’m not sure.

Is there Metar for that airport ?

1 Like

When I press Delete departure and add it again, this happens:

This actually has been around for a very long time. Sometimes it’s METAR, others long loading time, and at times if you go to another airport and come back to the original, the data displays.

1 Like

Got it. I don’t even have to go anywhere, just delete the departure and re-add it. This is sort of annoying, and it even picked the wrong runway the first time.

1 Like

Yep. That’s usually what I do. Do something else then go back to it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Topic moved into Bug Reporting. #bugs-and-issues:miscellaneous

1 Like

I wanted to bring this back to the forefront as the issue has some knock-on effects that transpire once you establish a flight plan.

I’ve noticed that even if you click the airport crosshair icon a second time it will populate the wind data. However, the flight plan will continue to maintain the, potentially, incorrect departing/arriving runway due to the unknown wind direction/speed data when the To & From were initially selected. This will persist even when you change the flight plan to an IFR.

I believe this issue is why there are a number of threads/posts where users complain of incorrect runway assignments for the wind conditions when they arrive at an airport for their landing. I believe it started here, at the World Map.

The only way I’ve found to get this to both populate the wind speed/direction data and correctly assign runways is to ensure you clear the To/From airports and deselect them as suggested previously in this thread.

It would be certainly welcome to see this bug/issue get resolved. It’s understandable that the data may take a moment to be populated, however that should occur automatically and should update the departing/arriving runways automatically, as well.

I’ve noted this bug hasn’t achieved a Feedback Logged, Investigating or Bug Logged status.

This is one of those “things” that affects us every-single-time we use the World Map to select an initial airport. Is there a reason that this has gone unnoticed by the developers?

This is one of those bugs that really ought to have been addressed very early on in the sim’s lifespan. It determines how ATC is going to assign a departure and an arrival runway upon clicking Fly.

The sim ought to synchronize weather data prior to assigning a runway for the flight. Even if clicking Set Departure or Set Arrival has a momentary pause while this synchronization occurs would be preferential to an erroneous runway assignment due to incorrect wind data at the moment of departure and arrival selection(s).

Just about every single time I create a flight plan, I have to click on the departure airport, zoom in and select a parking spot as my departure, then I have to clear that assignment in the FROM box. Then I have to click the target symbol for the airport to get the wind data to update and be correct. Then I have to zoom in and, again, select the parking spot as the departure. This ensures my departing runway assignment by ATC will match the wind data.

On the other end, I have to click my arrival airport, clear it from the TO box, click it again to populate the correct wind data and then reassign it as my arrival point.

There are very few times when this process doesn’t have to be done this way. Occasionally, an airport will show wind data and the extra steps of clearing the selection and reselecting it can be avoided. However, this is absolutely the exception and not the norm.

This is so easily replicated.

Is there no way to escalate this such that we can see the developers have acknowledged the issue?

Hello,

I have just tested this at 5 different airports to no reproduction. I tried:

CYYZ
KIKW
TNCS
EGLL
VNLK

Pictures for ref:

If you find that your sim differs from the actual IRL data, you can change your runway up here: