September 7, 2023 Development Update Blog Discussion

Check out the latest Development Update here:

Please use this thread for feedback and discussion. Thank you!

5 Likes

When would the next feedback snapshot be?

3 Likes

Let’s hope the new update next week will be top drawer!

RiP Feedback Snapshot…ok… Maybe something new will come… containg substantial dev feedback sometime within the infamous 10 years

1 Like

Marketplace updates haven’t been as good lately. I’m patiently hoping that they’ll slowly get better.

3 Likes

I’d really like to know what this means:

“The MS test process is currently going through iteration, so our backlog numbers are fluctuating.”

What is the iteration that is happening?

What’s the outcome meant to do?

4 Likes

It means the process has collapsed into a black hole somewhere. We’re back up to 629 in the queue again, from 407 a month ago. It’s unfortunate because for a while at least it seemed the process was actually working and reduced the queue considerably.

2 Likes

No wishlist / bugs / feedback again.

[MODERATOR EDIT: Please do not ping team members], this is a bit worrying, Does this mean the team is less willing to publicize / talk about these things?

2 Likes

“The MS test process is currently going through iteration, so our backlog numbers are fluctuating.”

You guys are just going to keep copy/pasting this week after week with zero explanation, huh? I don’t think there would be any questions being asked if these weekly updates were even halfway decent…

4 Likes

Any dev streams coming up?

It seems like there hasn’t been one in awhile, at least since that pre recorded video in July. I was hoping to jump on and push some questions for their Q&A but I haven’t heard any news on the next one.

5 Likes

No words, just no words

Hi,
I struggle to see the point of these weekly updates anymore, at first I thought they were kinda cool but recently they’ve been a copy & paste item with next to zero new information that isn’t already widely available.

Seems like a waste of time in my opinion, change to bi-weekly or even monthly perhaps would be my preference so you’d have more chance of some actually relevant information to release to the public.

The screenshot challenge could easily be it’s own weekly thing, perhaps with an item from the marketplace as a prize for the winner or something.
Thanks.

12 Likes

A year ago or so, I was actually excited to read the dev blog each week, meanwhile it’s gone completely useless, absolute no new information whatsoever (not only thid week but I’d say in 90% of the dev blogs this year).
Also, don’t ask yourself why the majority doesn’t buy stuff from your marketplace, it takes months to publish an update, and almost always your prices are higher than on 3rd party stores. I’d like to support this sim, but for the reasons above, I spend my hundrets of dollars on 3rd party stores. Waiting 4 months on a scenery update is unbearable.

16 Likes

I know it’s been holiday season, but it’s starting to feel like MSFS2020 has been put on the back burner now

7 Likes

Since December 2022 its been saying its holiday season
The last useful dev update was published in November 2022.
Since then, feedback snapshots are either udated or not included at all. Not even talking about the missing Q&A sessions.

4 Likes

What Q&A sessions.

The only real Q&A stream I have ever seem from MSFS, was the Technical Q&A where one of the Asobo Dev openly answered question in what appeared to be an open & honest way.

The Current session called Q&A are really just M&P sessions (Marketing & Promotion) – which is fine, but call them what they are – or more accurately, what they were, because even those Q&A Promotional streams seem to be getting rarer and less frequent.

There are more than one 1st party developer. Asobo is no longer alone.

How about some technical “Working Title” Q&A streams, where at least some of he current technical issues, facing developers and users, can be openly discussed, without cluttering up the session with Marketing & Promotional promises and “Surprises”.

Then again, when purchasing MSFS, it was never a condition of sale, that any user would receive , or be “entitled” to any opportunity to take part in any Q&A sessions, so I , as a MSFS customer, am resigned to be thankful for any additional information, that MS/Asobo/WT is prepared to share with us.

Yes, if I don’t like the Q&A session, nobody is forcing me to watch them :joy:

To be honest, I do watch them, but is is more often for the entertainment value, as issues are discussed with a Marketing spin, than for any technical content or to see any of the real issues facing MSFS, discussed.

3 Likes

100% agree.
Not just Marketing and Jorgs 'Tons of new stuff coming" sessions would be great… there are tons of technical stuff to talk about.

I think Asobo/MS have worked themselves into a corner with the announcement of FS2024.

They cannot now talk about any development without indicating which platforms (Fs2020 and/or FS2024) it will be applied to. Some things like the WT upgrades will automatically apply to both. But other things (like multi-threading and seasons) they either don’t know if they can retrospectively be applied to FS2020, or they are unwilling to admit that they won’t be.

I really believe that they won’t have worked out a detailed plan till much closer to the FS2024 release, in whch case they can’t release much in future development updates for FS2020, and they would be unwilling to have a Q&A session (especially if there are questions from the customer base).

It’s all a bit annoying for me personally, as my son was on the verge of investing in the SW and HW to run FS2020. Upon the FS2024 announcement, I had to advise him to wait till the situation becomes clearer, which looks like it will be a year or so. That’s one lost sale for them, until they get their act together.

5 Likes

they would be unwilling to have a Q&A session (especially if there are questions fom the customer base)

Yes, dealing with customers, dealing with the community (which Jorg always has claimed is important) is not always fun…

1 Like

Well, I suspect that Seb and Martial are pretty focussed now on FS2024 and they probably aren’t quite ready to talk about that in any detailed or comprehensive way.

2 Likes