Series S & X performance difference findings

Okay so bit of a long update on what I have found between Series S and X since having and using both for MSFS.

For clarity I found bad stuttering and lagging in panning views on the Series X and little to no issues on the Series S

It appears that the resolution is the key to my issues in MSFS in Series X, I unfortunately don’t have a 4k tv or monitor my tv is a 35 inch 1080p HD 5v from many years ago, it appears that where the series X falls short is if you don’t have a 4k capable output device, with myself it was natively rendering in 1440p the upscaling to 4k and then having to rescale down to 1080p for output.

In basic terms it appears that the processing time for the Series X to do all of that was causing a lag spike whenever scenery changed such as panning the camera.

I further tested this on my monitor as it had a smaller resolution but was still 1080p and it showed some improvement in the lag spikes and stutters but not enough for my liking.

The simple fix would be for Microsoft/Asobo to implement settings to change the internal rendering scale however I doubt we’ll see this.

That is in my opinion why people are finding more varied results in the Series X over the S as the X can have performance affected by the output device and its resolution, the output device also affects what settings can be changed on the Xbox and in the sim to an extent. But it appears in internally upscaling and rescaling the Series X wastes a lot of processing power causing a visible effect in sim.

So for now I have my Series S solely as a flight sim machine and my X for everything else :rofl:

I hope this can maybe help others in the future :pray:t3:

4 Likes

Thanks for this i have a series x and a 4k oled tv. I find some days the stuttering is there and then other days absolutely none so I’m not to sure on this theory but a possibility

3 Likes

With my theory though it has potential to affect all series X users all it takes is a spike in required processing power for anything and then the first hit is the scaling leading to lag spikes, the fear now would be when heavier mods come such as PMDG 737 what would the processing requirments of that do to the performance

1 Like

Series X, LG OLED 4K 120Hz VRR 2.1 HDMI, still get occasional stutters when panning externally

Series X user - I use the Hotas One and a mouse. I find most of my CTD’s occur when I use the hat switch to change view in the cockpit and more so in external view. Using the hat switch from the cockpit to look out the window say, pans a rapid 90degree swing in camera. I find that this could cause a CTD more so than panning with the mouse which would be a slower transition. So much so, I avoid using the hat switch except for changing cockpit instrument views. Using a LG 4K TV.

1 Like

The game is easily crashing with 3rd party scenery addons (after the latest update). I really can’t see any PMDG addon to be successful on the Series X, to be frank.

1 Like

Great analysis.

I moved from the S to the X and I’ve had pretty great performance with it. I did this just around SU7’s release, so few stutters I’ve experienced I’d assumed were due to SU7 and not the hardware.

I’m tempted to load MSFS back onto the S and see a back-to-back myself.

Thanks for doing this.

1 Like

This is related to a different bug/issue:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/third-party-developers-please-read/

1 Like

Nah I’ve had a look at that, got no other conflicting addons and still crashing. Specifically happens at Origami EGKK and FSDT LZSH. Even had problems with EGKK before SU7.

I ran msfs bone stock and had the same issues, this issue is straight up due to Microsoft and Asobo neglect and todays delayed marketplace update does nothing but prove that with the PC releases compared to Xbox

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.