Serious stuttering issue when looking around on Series X since SU9

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

On Series X since SU9, there is stuttering almost every time I pan the camera horizontally. I’d say 90% of pans in either direction cause stuttering, making the experience very frustrating. Feels very broken now and the experience is ruined. Before SU9 I could look left/right as much as I wanted and it was pretty much always very smooth.

Something’s been changed that’s caused such a huge and obvious problem for me that I find it hard to believe the update was even released. This makes me wonder if all Series X users are having this issue or just a few of us? Or just me?!

I understand how this can happen on PC as everyone has a different setup and there are so many variables. But on Series X, the hardware is identical for everyone so I don’t understand how such a big step backwards can occur in an “update”. Surely it would have been noticed by the Devs within seconds of playing? All you have to do is look around and you see it almost every time. It’s a stark difference compared to how it used to be.

I have NO addons installed.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

While in a flight, look around in the cockpit from left to right and visa versa.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Series X

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU9

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

yes

I have the very same issue since SU9
I first suffered with stuttering and freezing whilst flying over Perth Australia and then later London with constant scenery drop ins not so much the main buildings but the surrounding nearby scenery
I then went on to fly around Majorca Spain when the sim simply stopped working any movement of the aircraft any external camera movement caused total lock up after shutting the console down it failed to restart at all
After downloading the patch fix the sim started up again I therefore returned to London and Perth as they are now my benchmark for glitches and at this moment they are still the same before the update I had perfect and smooth scenery it was a joy to watch and play

2 Likes

Yes

I have lots more stuttering on Series X since SU9. Flying from Heathrow to London there are up to 2 second pauses, poor frame rates and poor draw distance/pop up. Similar story flying from JFK to Manhattan. The pop up and draw distance is poor, much much worse than before SU9.

1 Like

yes

Where aircraft is in sight of land, panning about in the cockpit causes stutters - this is especially the case near densely populated areas such as cities or large towns or airports

Example of this phenomenon happening in a TBM 930 over SW UK at link below

View Capture |  Xbox

1 Like

YES

I am on Xbox serie X.
Since SU9, when i move the camera on the left or to the right, the sim is stuttering and freezing.
Before SU9, i never had this issue.

You’re all describing exactly the same problems I experience, extreme stuttering and freezing when panning the view, and significantly reduced image quality with very short draw distance and pop-in of trees and buildings occurring, very close to the aircraft or even directly below the aircraft. Also, SU 9 seems to have turned off antialiasing completely, causing lots of jaggies on the aircraft and really bad shimmering across the landscape. Just try starting a flight at an airport that has a fence running parallel to the runway, and as you pan the view you will notice a ridiculous level of moire patterns occurring on the fence or any similar object. I’m suspicious that the resolution may have also been reduced given how bad the jaggies now are compared to pre-SU 9. Either that, or the antialiasing was doing a fantastic job before to tame the incredible level of visual distortion that is visible now. I don’t know, it just looks like a lower resolution than the 1440p that the Series X version renders at prior to upscaling to 4K.

None of these problems existed prior to SU 9 (for me, many issues began with SU 8, and had additional problems added to those with SU 9). The bottom line is that both performance and image quality have dropped through the floor since SU 9.

I’m on XBOX Series X.

3 Likes

Is that what makes the plane look superimposed on the sky rather than in the sky??

I’m pretty sure the effect looked better before SU9 but can’t quite put my finger on it.

It’s a bit like a poor Photoshop paste rather than a good, blended paste.

Just to add to my initial post - all the flying I’ve been doing has been all over the UK and the problem is everywhere there, not just in dense city areas.

I’ve just done a flight in Spain (around Alicante, Murcia and a bit further inland to the mountains) and had no problems with stuttering at all. It felt like how it was pre-su9.

Checked out the UK again afterwards and the problem is still there. What’s the difference between rural UK and Spain that would make the Sim perform so drastically different?

1 Like

Yes.

I have also noticed that it only happens if the sky is in view. If in the cockpit and you look down so the sky isn’t in view, then the panning is smooth. If in outside view and you look down far enough that you can’t see the sky, then the panning is smooth. The issue is really bad in Perth, Western Australia, pausing for several seconds at a time. It happens either parked at any of the airports (tested with YPPH & YSEN), or in the air. I didn’t have the issue at YBAS (Alice Springs), and minimal issues at RJAA (Tokyo). I also noticed that the issue happens the worse the weather is, and isn’t affected by live services (weather, traffic, etc.) is or off. I have also done a clean install and tested with a profile that has never played the game.

I have game clips of the freezing, but “new users can’t upload” or post links

yes

this seems to happen at higher altitudes, over terrain with clouds - but once started it doesn’t seem to recover even with loss of altitude - video shows TBM flight near Kent, UK descending from FL250 with live weather OFF - preset being used

View Capture |  Xbox

yes

frequent screen stutters panning camera in both cockpit and external views regardless or aircraft type. Aircraft with complicated cockpits show worse performance with internal camera. 4K 120hz capable display with VRR. Gigabit fiber internet. Tried : enabling/disabling VRR, disabling HDR, forcing console to 1080p, increasing rolling cache, clearing rolling cache, set rolling cache back to default, disabling live weather, disabling live air traffic, lowering fauna/traffic, ships, etc, killing all other quick resume/background apps, same result. random freezes for up to 5 seconds, very frequent glitches even in medium density areas. Glitches/frame drops are more common in cities w/dense buildings (new york, greece, italy). Dense areas make the game unplayable or at minimum unenjoyable and frustrating. Please fix this sim it does NOT run properly on Series X and there is no way to correct the stuttering !!

Does anyone do anything about these reports, or follow up? I’ve been having series X performance issues with this sim since launch and it has only gotten worse with the updates. Just wondering if there is any plan to have someone review and provide feedback on our input.

I would love a response too. I would especially like to know why it takes so long to fix such a game breaking issue when pre-su9, it performed SO much better than this. It was never perfect, but it ran relatively stutter free compared to how it is now. So isn’t the obvious temporary solution to simply undo what was done in SU9? At least until a proper solution is found.

If any other game ran like this does now on Series X I don’t think it would ever be released. Its far, far from acceptable. This point again makes me wonder if the Devs are even having this issue on their Series X, or is it only happening to a few people? I’d like even just an answer to this.

If any Devs read this…I do love this sim and I think you’ve done an incredible job generally. It blows me away. But why oh why would you allow such a broken version to remain out in the public when you already had it working so much better than this a few months ago?! What exactly has been changed that is worth keeping this broken version? I didn’t even notice any improvements. Such a shame.

2 Likes