Setting Minimums Without Charts

Without a Navigraph subscription and access to airport charts, how would one set the minimums for a flight? I haven’t been able to find this data anywhere else. Is there another way to find this out, or some general rule of thumb or habits? I like to set minimums (for no real reason since I always fly alone and the A320neo doesn’t call it out anyway, but still), but with no subscription I always just come up with a number, some hundred feet above airport elevation. Is there a more reasonable way without having access to charts?

The typical minimum for CAT I approach is 200 ft AAL 1800 ft RVR; however, it can be higher for many reasons but since you are not going for realism I guess this will work for you. There are very few places in the Western world were charts are not available for free on-line, perhaps you should try Google?

2 Likes

Just use a Decision Height of 200 ft. Dont put to much Stress on it. In the Sim nothing bad happens if you crash. Otherwise you just have to use charts, cause for Minimum Altitudes there are no real alternatives.

Use the charts in Skyvector… SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

I generally use Little Navmap for my flights and you can find airport elevations there. If I can’t be bothered to check the actual charts I set 250ft above airfield elevation, no real reason it just seems about right. You could also set 200ft in the radio altimeter minimums which maybe more accurate (if your FMS lets you, mine doesn’t always).

2 Likes

Open the VFR map in the cockpit. Type in the airport name (ICAO if you know it) or scroll the map around until you spot the airport, click on it and the airport elevation is listed under the name. Add 200’, or whatever minimums you are comfortable with to that and you’re good to go.

I use AIRMATE. its available for Android and IOS. Its free but you can donate.
Here is an example

1 Like

I am still learning charts and everything. Where would the minimum be in this picture? I have been following this youtube tutorial and put in EDDL and the minimum is 251. But I can not for the life of me find it on this app.

Unfortunately the bottom part of that chart got cut off. That’s where you’d find the various minimas (if there’s more than one listed. See if this link gets you to the whole chart.
https://www.flightaware.com/resources/airport/VNY/IAP/ILS+Y+RWY+16R/pdf

If you’re not sure what the numbers there indicate, check out this short tutorial video.

Regards

Greatly appreciate it!

the entire plate in question:

In Europe you often find charts by searching for Countryname AIP, the charts are in part AD2.
Some examples where you find approach charts:
France
Germany
Spain
UK

For the US you find approach charts here

They are all a little bit different. You‘ll find DA or DH values, which are your decision altitudes/heights as well as OCA/OCA (obstacle clearance) or MDA/MDH (minimum descent) - to make it easy just take those values for your minimum.
Additionally there can be a Missed Approach Point MAPt, e.g. defined by a DME distance.

Thank you!