Settings not saved

I haven’t changed any settings in the game for quite some time. But now that I try the changes are not saved. They are indeed changed while still in the sim but next time I start it up it’s all reset back.

It’s as if some file has been marked as “read only” but I have never even browsed anywhere outside of the community folder.

Any ideas?

Which settings specifically?

Since it’s not saving I’m changing the following settings each time I start the sim up:
Volumetric clouds - from high to ultra
Windshield - from high to ultra
Light shafts - from medium to ultra

Weird, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Right, so the graphical settings. It’s not something I’ve come across, as apart from the last two patches I have had to reset those every time a new patch was released, and it has worked.

It might be worth using the forum search facility, and I will do the same, in case someone else has had this issue, and found a resolution.

I’ve found a likely candidate to at least eliminate.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/saved-settings-not-being-recalled/283489

Try shutting down the sim, then renaming the following file:

“C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt”

Not delete, as if this doesn’t work, at least you have the option to rename it back, and recover those settings. I’ve not done this but in theory it should reset you to some “default”, and force the sim to re-create this file. Then try changing them to what you want, launch a flight, then shut the whole thing down, and re-launch the sim to see if the settings changes stuck.

If this works, chalk this one up as a victory for the forum search, not me! :wink:

The problem about doing this (with MS Store version) is that as soon as MSFS loads, it will re-sync that file from the cloud. It doesn’t create a new one. Same with editing it - it will not save the edit as it will re-sync it.

There are some “tricks” involved into doing this. Requires you to disconnect from the internet before the sync but just after it logs you into xbox to verify your account.

1 Like

What I have learn about UserCfg.opt, that is not specifically documented in the SDK

• UserCfg.opt is read by the sim when the sim starts.

• UserCfg.opt is written back to when the sim is shut down NORMALLY, it does not get written toi if you CTD or X out.

• It is NOT updated, while the sim is running, only at shutdown.

• If you are brave enough to edit it, when the sim is not running, it will read in your edits … BUT, when the sim shuts down, it will write back to that file, the CURRENT state of theh SIm’s settings.

Some of those setting cannot be changed by the sims UI,

So, for example, if you set “Fringe 0” in UserCfg.opt, then the sim will read and use that value when it loads, but when it closes, it will write back the default “fringe 1” to UserCfg.opt.

If you Always want “Fringe 0”, you need to start MSFS with a batch file or script, that edits UserCfg.opt to what you want, just before starting MSFS.

I start MSFS from batch file, settiing a few items in UserCfg.opt, that I want set to specific values, that the MSFS UI does not allow me to adjust in when MSFS is running.

ie setting

• EyeAdaptation 0
  • Fringe 0

============================================

OK, that was somewhat a TEASE,

so I am sharing my batch file, which is based on someone else’s work, Pieloth who wrote MSFS2020Splash. << Link to original

Download, remove the .pln, and edit it to replace /ms/ with whatever YOUR username is . and also any changes as indicated to make it work in steam.

I edited the original splash program, to add a countdown timer, and also added the two VERY CRUDE, search & replaces … not elegant – but it does the job…

use at your own risk – etc etc etc
(its a batch file, so you can see exactly whats in it before you run it …)

MSFS2020Splash.bat.pln (5.1 KB)

1 Like

I was just wondering why is it that every time we have an update the settings are reset. The problem stated here happened to me a couple of days ago for the first time when there was no updates. That was unexpected, but to be honest, I don’t have a problem as long as it just happens once, but if it happens every update is kind of of a problem, since one of the issues with the sim is to try to keep the best balance for quality and performance.

I think it is just the nature of the beast .when the internals are changed, the config file structure & content may need to be updated.

Maybe, once you have the sim setup the way you like, take SCREEN shots of the setup screens, so you have a reference to go back to after an update may have changed them…

Yes correct. I actually thought about the screenshot 3 times just to forget taking one when doing the updates! yikes!

Take a set NOW, before the next update Jan 28th 2021 …

YUP just did. Thanks :slight_smile:

Sorry but my UserCfg.opt gets overwritten again during the ‘Checking for Updates’ stage.

Really … did not realize that … I have the batch file set “Fringe 0” … and that removes the Fridges in the Hanger, so I assumed all was working.

Still having the same problem!

Anyway, I tried using your (@N6722C) bat-file. Not that it would solve the problem this thread is originally about but I would really like to set EyeAdaptation to 0. But it does not seem to work either.

Maybe a dumb question, but are you absolutely sure your bat actually changes the settings? :thinking:

yes – easily tested.

1. Run MSFS with normal startup, not with batch file
  2. Shut down MSFS normally ( do NOT X out)
  3. Check UserCfg.opt Fringe 1 (as set my MSFS when it shuts down)
  4. Start MSFS with batch file.
  5. Once you are up and flying, X OUT ( so you are not shutting down normally, and MSFS is not writing back to UserCfg.opt)
  6. Check UserCfg.opt - now Fringe 0 as 'searched& replaced" by the batch file that started MSFS

This whole process relies on the fact that MSFS reads the UserCfg.opt file, and only changes those parameters if changed in the UI.
Those item not changeable in the UI, “Seem to be” set to a preset value when MSFS closes, so they are at those values, next time UserCfg.opt is reloaded.

I’ll check again at my end that I did not mess anything up when I added the 2nd Search-Replace ( embarrassingly crude implementation !!_) - never designed for public release … but I posted it in case it helped anyone.

The Splash Screen is really Nice !!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.