Settings & Setup guide for the Tobii Eye Tracker 5

My Eye Tracker 5 arrived today and doesn’t work in MSFS. Haven’t gone through the uninstall, reinstall malarkey yet, now waiting for the zip file to be mailed to me.

However, it worked in the Steam version of ETS2 from the get go. No additional steps required.

Probably an issue with the Game Pass version of MSFS, then?

Did you try toggling head tracking on or off in the camera menu or with a key bind? Does it show up under the controllers menu?

Of course. It works brilliantly everywhere, except in MSFS.

@NicXG had the same issue and it took two uninstall/reinstalls to get it working, there are about 3 things I can think of as to why the second reinstall worked.

While you are waiting for the Tobii Scripts.zip file there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try first. I’m assuming you have already followed steps 1-34 listed above in post #10. One thing that just occurred to me is that you actually need to reboot after making the changes before you launch MSFS and I’ve updated step 34 to reflect this:

so reboot now and after logging back in launch MSFS and test Tobii.

Make sure all 3 Tobii services are running:
Click in the Windows Search bar and type in Services and click on it. Scroll down and make sure that:
Tobii Eye Tracker Generic Service
Tobii Runtime Service
Tobii Service
have a Status of Running. Then click X to close Services.

If you have used other tracking software in the past you need to uninstall it along with any related plugins by following the instructions in this paragraph:
Click on the Windows Search Bar, type in Control Panel and click on it. Click on Programs and Features and uninstall any other tracking software and related plugins. Click X to close off Programs and Features. Click on the Windows Search Bar, type in Add or remove programs and click on it (this will list other apps not listed in Programs and Features). Uninstall any other tracking software and related plugins. Click X to close off Add or remove programs.Click on the Windows Search Bar, type in Device Manager and click on it. Go through each category carefully looking for any devices(Eye Tracker 5 and EyeChip belong to Tobii) might be related to other tracking software and related plugins and uninstall them by right clicking on them and clicking on Uninstall device. Click X to close off Device Manager. Then reboot. Launch MSFS and test Tobii.

Make sure you install all the prerequisites/dependencies:
Download and install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files both X86 and X64. Start at Visual Studio 2005 (VC++ 8.0) SP1 by downloading and installing both the X86 and X64 files and then work your way upwards to Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022 downloading then installing each one as you go. As the filenames are all the same you have to install each one as soon as you finish downloading it. After you have finished installing the final one, reboot. Then check that you have all 12 Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files installed by clicking in the Windows Search Bar, typing in Control Panel and clicking on it, click on Programs and Features, and scroll down and it should look similar to this:

^ There are actually 13 listed in this image but Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable [x86 edition] is listed twice as I have 2 versions of it installed, you only need 1 but don’t uninstall any duplicates.
^ Make sure the last 2 lines actually say Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022
Then click on Turn Windows features on or off(located on the left) and make sure that you have .NET installed, it should look like this:
click OK. Click the X to close off Programs and Features. Reboot. Launch MSFS and test Tobii.

If that didn’t fix it then it is time to try uninstalling/reinstalling.

Also, do you have any other head/eye tracking software such as Open track or similar installed?

Hi @Blarry8238,

Same issues here but resolved now.

Have a go at the following in this order. Seemed to fix my issues.

In my case, I had to then remove and reinstall Tobii once more but it then worked. in MSFS and all other games.

The Tobii 5 is a gamechanger for me - VR makes me slightly sick (motion sickness), Tobiis head/eye tracking not. Wonderful, works like a charm! Finally headtracking without the need for a hat or some other clip.
But I have a question though: When moving forward to the screen - with TrackIR it zooms in, with Tobii 5 I dont have this effect. Is there any way to achive a zoom in and out?

Yes, in the Tobii options in SIM, there is a sensitivity setting for head tracking position or similar - I’m not at my PC to confirm. If you increase this, it will introduce z axis tracking.

1 Like

Try watching this youtube video:

3 Likes

This youtube video will show you how to fix the Z axis i.e. moving closer/further away from your instruments:
Fix For #Tobii Eye Tracker not Moving Forward and Backward | MSFS 2020
Just ignore his advice about binding F12 to RESET HOME COCKPIT CAMERA as F12 is a hidden function. With thanks to @TheRealPlato testing it out to confirm this.

2 Likes

I tried to make sensitivity adjustments and saved them as a separate profile. MSFS crashes to desktop as soon as I start looking around on the tarmac.
I deleted the new profile and it seems to work fine looking around…
I then went in to adjust the sensitivity settings from within a flight, and again, a CTD.
It looks like adjusting the profile for the Tobii 5 is a failure!
Hopefully, it will be fixed in the next update… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Be sure to file a bug report so that it can be fixed. Also post your problem in this thread(and vote for it too): Tobii Eye Tracking needs configuration options.

In the mean time you can make sensitivity adjustments by using FaceTrackNoIR V200, I posted a guide here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/making-tobii-eye-tracker-work-with-su8/472111/252.

The problem I have appears to be much deeper…!
I now get CTD’s whenever I start taxiing - even when loading MSFS in safe mode after a system reboot!
I’ve basically given up on MSFS… Again… At least for the time being (until the next update I suppose…)

How long have you had your Tobii? Was MSFS crashing prior to you using Tobii?

Yeah, as it turns out, Tobii doesn’t like having other eye tracking software installed. Went through my disk drives and registry and removed everything that had to do with Opentrack and Freetrack (including deleting the app from my phone, just to be super safe), and that did the trick.

I guess this is just personal preference or a lack of adaptation within the two days I had the tracker now, but I’d really love for MSFS or the Tobii software to have a keybind or a toggle to momentarily freeze the camera in position. Just having your eyes wander two inches from the cockpit display you’re looking at to the key or button or knob you want to use for input lets the camera wander towards that direction ever so slightly, and makes you miss the input-y thing you wanted to click at. Drives me mad. It’s really distracting when, for example, programming a route into the FMC, where your eyes are constantly jumping between the input prompt, display and keypad. Also it’s putting a strain on the eyes to really focus on one spot on the monitor just to keep the viewpoint stable, but that could be my age, as well, so, yeah.

3 Likes

Agreed - tried for a bit and liked the concept overall all but the slightest movement when trying to set something and moving off of it was annoying. That and the fact the in outside views the cameras starts moving all over the place and not locked was also a non started for me. Will wait a bit to see if there is some improvements moving forward.

I’ve used the Tobii 5 for about 4 months without issue. However, just before my CTD issues I upgraded my memory to G-Skill 32 GB 4000 MHz and my issues started.

In my frustration I uninstalled MSFS and have been re-installing MSFS overnight. Now I’m even getting CTD’s - after quite some time - during the content manager updates! (The rest of my system is working perfectly…)

1 Like

Hi all…
I think I have resolved the issue. It appears that the new memory modules are faulty as I get memory errors when I run stress tests. (Microsoft Windows internal memory test revealed no errors…) I have replaced the modules with my original ones and am now proceeding with the re-installation of MSFS…

Good news. Hopefully that confirms where the issue is so you can get it resolved.

My original memory modules back in my PC… All is good! Tobii 5 sensitivity settings OK :smiley:
Now organizing replacement modules…

1 Like